Natural ways to lower bp's (pp)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ch3lsea

Re : Natural ways to lower bp's (pp)

Postby ch3lsea » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:33 am

I know it hasn't been that long...but it feels like forever already since I had her! I'm just so impatient...I hate taking medication and having to worry about checking my blood pressure. I also think I need to switch my meds a little bit...I'm taking 60mg of procardia once a day and 200mg of labetalol twice a day...my bp's were still too high on the procardia alone (130-140/80-95) but when I take the labetalol it usually drops it too low, too fast at first leaving me feeling dizzy and just not right for about an hour.

Katznkt- that's great that yours just went back to normal! That must have been awesome after 5 months of waiting! :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 20, 2010 00:41 am

You're only three weeks postpartum? I'd keep waiting! Docs don't generally worry about postpartum hypertension until after 8-12 weeks postpartum. Before that, odds are you're just healing from the pregnancy.

Roughly speaking, the sicker your blood vessels get, the longer it takes to heal. Some people who limp along for months actually have pretty damaged vasculature and some people who seize out of nowhere -- even though they are more acute and scary to treat -- have less damage to their blood vessels and a quicker recovery time.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Give it time! My bp was still high until 5 months to the day pp. Then overnight (literally) it went from 150/90 to 115/70. And has been perfect since. I was dieting at the time, but wasn't losing weight (bum deal!). I think my body just needed time to go back to normal and get all the hormones out of its system.

mrss

Postby mrss » Sun Sep 19, 2010 08:34 am

Three months is not that long. It took about 6 or 7 months to completely wean off the beta blockers and have my pressures stay steady. I absolutely think regular exercise is the thing that best kept me off BP meds after that point, although I also take daily fish oil. Both my parents and my younger sister have chronic hypertension so I know I'm at risk for it. Even with regular exercise and a healthy weight (pre-preg), though, I was borderline on a good day. It will be interesting to see if I can get off the meds after this pregnancy, too.

eta: I initially read 3 months instead of 3 weeks. Another thing that helped me was switching from Labetalol to Inderol postpartum.

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 06:40 am

I have been taking fish oil pills I'm not to sure if that will help me for My next pregnancy?

uote]Originally posted by korie

you
may want to look into fish oils. You must really research and pick a good kind, not all fish oils are created equal! I was taking them for a few months before getting pregnant, but haven't refilled my supply since pregnancy. I was concerned about the fishy taste making my nausia worse.
[/quote]

korie

Postby korie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 01:58 am

you may want to look into fish oils. You must really research and pick a good kind, not all fish oils are created equal! I was taking them for a few months before getting pregnant, but haven't refilled my supply since pregnancy. I was concerned about the fishy taste making my nausia worse.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Sep 19, 2010 01:26 am

Acupuncture helped me. My BP was higher than my normal a few months PP, but not high enough to medicate; around 120s/70s-80s. After a few acupuncture sessions, it dropped to my normal of around 100/60 and has stayed there even though it's been about 6 months since my last session!

ch3lsea

Postby ch3lsea » Sun Sep 19, 2010 00:04 am

WOW, you tried a lot! I love salty foods too!! I was eating as little salt as possible when I was pregnant and having the bp problems but as soon as I delivered her and got out of the hospital I pretty much didn't care anymore and have been eating pretty terribly lol...I'm sure this is not helping my blood pressures so I'm going to try and start eating better. I also haven't been very active since delivery (and wasn't very active much of the pregnancy because of the problems I was having) so that is another thing that needs to change once I heal from the c-section. I am just terrified of being 22 years old and having chronic hypertension =/ I know it's a possibility and I'll have to just deal with it, but ughhhh, I just so don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life. how much labetalol are you on if you don't mind me asking?? Have you been able to wean off a bit in the last three months?? I really hope your bp's continue to get better <3

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm currently 3 mos. pp and have continued to need medication (labetalol) to keep the bp low- my bp is chronic at this point. In the last month I've added in accupuncture; exercise (including yoga); an herbal supplement targeted at blood pressure via the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) pathways (not tested for use during pregnancy!); other supplements such as folic acid and CoQ10; green tea; and other foods that I've read can lower blood pressure such as hibiscus, garlic, and beets. These things have helped, but obviously I'd be hard pressed to tell you which ones have helped!
*this regimen is not recommended for those who are pregnant or not under the care of a physician.
The one thing I haven't done much to my doc's dismay is institute the DASH diet- I love salty foods :(

ch3lsea

Natural ways to lower bp's (pp)

Postby ch3lsea » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Anyone who had high BP's after pregnancy, did you use any natural remedies?? How about acupuncture or other eastern medicines?? Just curious...my bp is still up 3 weeks after birth and I'm wondering if it's possible to get them lower through diet, exercise or acupuncture

Return to “Ask the Experienced”