When did you start home BP checks?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
korie

Re : When did you start home BP checks?

Postby korie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:55 am

I do it pretty obcessively my entire pregnancy. If things are going REALLY well and I am very low and stable I may skip a few days here and there. My blood pressure tends to rise steadily throughout my entire pregnancy so I must keep an eye on it to increase meds as we go. When it starts getting high, I often do it as much as every hour or two. I think starting in the begining is always a good idea though. That way you can notice any trends, even if it is only once or twice a week.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Hmm... With my first I developed late/quick onset at 39 weeks. Never even knew to be worried. With my second, my bp skyrocketed at 10 weeks so I started then. Even when my bp dipped in the 2nd trimester I took it daily for peace of mind. I started taking it 2-3 times a day the higher it got until I was induced.

It can't hurt to start early, but if you don't want to freak yourself out, I say take it when you either start to feel off, or you notice it is higher at a doctors appointment. Or after you pass week 20.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sun Sep 19, 2010 05:37 pm

I take mine every morning, right when I wake up and before I roll over, even not pregnant. It is very important to get baselines and also know what your normal is.

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu Sep 16, 2010 03:42 pm

My MFM wants me to start doing it around 7 wks this pregnancy.(But I got HELLP at 23 wks the first time.)

sarahharbaugh

Postby sarahharbaugh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:35 am

As soon as I was diagnosed, which was about 29 weeks. I wish I had started earlier though, so that I would know more about my baseline which is really low like yours. I have been able to watch it slowly get higher and higher each week. :(

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 09:40 pm

Guess I am a nut like Laura too. I take my BP every day. It makes me feel like I have some control over some thing even if it is just charting BPs. Plus it puts my mind at ease, since I too have normally very low blood pressure outside of this pregnancy thing.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Sep 15, 2010 06:11 pm

I never stopped. Its habit I do it every day pregnant or not. I guess I am a bit of a health freak!

crissy1213

Postby crissy1213 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 04:22 pm

With E I didn't because I was diagnosed and induced same day at 38wks. I wasn't told I needed to.

With Trevor I started when I was put on BP meds so 12wks.

alsgirl2002

Postby alsgirl2002 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 02:56 pm

I think I started around 22 weeks periodically to just get an idea of where I was at. And then when I was feeling crappy I would check. When feeling crappy got to be more regular, I started checking daily. I guess that was right around 25 weeks or so.

jdeh

When did you start home BP checks?

Postby jdeh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 02:40 pm

I'm wondering at what week in pregnancy did (or will) you all start monitoring your BP at home?

During preg #1 I didn't have symptoms until 32 weeks or so, and delivered at 34. I'm only 9 weeks now, and I don't really want to start stressing about BP readings just yet...but then again is it helpful to have many many weeks of baseline to compare?

My normal blood pressure is on the low side (98/66 last week).

Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”