What's going on? What would you do?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
glimmer

Re : What's going on? What would you do?

Postby glimmer » Sat Aug 11, 638942 2:54 am

I always wanted to have a homebirth and wasn't able to have one with either of my children, so I understand that you want to stay with your midwife.
But - if you have preeclampsia, you need to be seen by an expert and go to the hospital for your and your child's safety. I think you should go to one of the big practices and confidentially explain your position why you do not want to be been by a male doctor. I would be surprised if they wouldn't accommodate this. If all is well, you can turn the care back to your midwife, otherwise you might be able to continue to work with her and bring her as doula to the hospital with you. That's why I did and my experience would have been a lot more traumatic if I wouldn't have done that. I know it's disappointing having to give up on a homebirth, but your have to do what's ensure the health of the baby and your children's mother!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Aug 01, 638942 6:20 am

Yes, PE can cause BP to "bounce around" or become labile. Once your BP is labile it will eventually "settle" & just stay high. It can be hours, days or weeks before this happens - it varies that greatly. I think if you explained your reasons for wanting to only see a female OB they would agree. I had no real reason except I felt more comfortable with a female. Thankfully in the Dallas area I was able to find an all female group practice.

The blood work you'd need will check your platelet count & your liver function - and several other things. Hopefully someone will be on soon who knows exactly what to ask for. But any OB would know - and hopefully your mid-wife should know as well.

phoenix~mama

Postby phoenix~mama » Wed Aug 01, 638942 4:20 am

Thank you for the responses. What type of blood work should be ordered at this point?

I am hunting for an OB consult, but unfortunately I live in an area with very large practices which is what turned me towards having a MW and homebirth to begin with. I prefer personalized care, and I'm also very not comfortable having a male doctor due to my abusive past, and all practices seem to have male OB's on staff. :(

Would pre-e have BP bouncing all around like this? I've never had high blood pressure in my life... so I am concerned.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Aug 01, 638942 3:25 am

Welcome! Sorry you are having issues but glad you found us! Do you see an OB as well as a midwife? Have you had any lab work (like blood work) done besides the 24 hour test? Have you had an U/S or an NST to see how baby is doing? Having your BP's be so high, having swelling & feeling "off" can all be symptoms of PE. Oh, and echoing what Amanda said, there is no evidence to support any special diet having any effect on PE. If it were me, I'd want to see an an OB ASAP & plan to have my delivery in a hospital where medical help is readily available on a moments notice.

Update us when you can on how you're doing!!! (((HUGS)))

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Aug 01, 638942 3:17 am

I would assume its pe versus anything else. With your fibro you know that condition. So if anything feels odd then its pe and not the fibro. Put it in your mind that's its pe, and let the doc. Tell you otherwise.

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Tue Jul 31, 638942 10:35 pm

Welcome to the boards, although it is never good that someone has to find us!

I think you are right to be concerned. Your BP of 156/84 is possibly diagnostic of PE (you need two readings of 140/90 six hours apart along with 300 on a 24 hour urine). Keep in mind that the dips can be very inaccurate depending on your hydration level. We have had women on here with severe PE dip negative. The bouncing around on the dipsticks is likely related to that rather than the diet. We are very wary about any diet helping/preventing PE around here because it seems that the problem begins at implantation and has nothing at all to do with what you eat.

I'm glad you are getting the 24 hour test...that will give you more information to go on. In your shoes, I would also want blood work done as well as a consult with an OB.

My son is 22 months old and my daughter is due soon. I think our kids are spaced almost the same! I hope you have nothing to worry about and everything comes back clear. But it's always best to know rather than wonder.

Good luck and keep us posted!

phoenix~mama

What's going on? What would you do?

Postby phoenix~mama » Tue Jul 31, 638942 7:51 pm

Hello. I am 32 weeks along and have been planning a homebirth for my second pregnancy. I got really sick with a very bad stomach flu about 1.5 months ago, and ever since then I haven't really been "right". That is when I first started spilling protein. BP was still fine. My MW figured it was due to being sick, but wanted me to start the Br*wer's Diet just in case. My protein did go back to just trace by next appt.

Appt after that my protein was at +2, and my BP was a little high, somewhere around 140/70 (my normal base is 120/70).

I had an appt. with my primary care doctor the next week. I have fibromyalgia and was checking in on that. My BP was went way down at this appt! 112/70!!

The following week at my prenatal, my protein is still at +2 on the dip. :( And my BP was way up at 156/84!! :(

So my MW had me do the 24 hour protein test. I did that last Friday and am waiting on results.

I have been extremely exhausted, but I chalked it up to being a Single Mom running after a toddler. (my daughter is 20 months old). My MW is hoping the BP is just from stress (I left my abusive husband on Mother's Day when he threatened to hit me... it's not been an easy few months :( )

But the protein definitely has her concerned.

Now, she has asked me about headaches but I sort of blew it off. I wasn't getting a lot then, and it's normal for me to get some migraines due to the fibromyalgia. But I've definitely had more in the past week, or there is at least always a dull twinge in my head.

My feet/ankles are always swollen, again a relatively normal thing for me in summer with the fibro, so wrote that off too.

But now I'm wondering if I should be worried? My Mom also told me she thinks she had undiagnosed pre-e with me. Her normal base BP was 110/60, but in her third tri with me it went up to 146/84!! Which would have been a huge jump for her! Plus she was severely swollen.

And now, I'm wondering if I could have had undiagnosed late pre-e, very mildly with my daughter. I always had trace protein, but it did go up to +1 at the end, and my BP went up a little but not enough to concern the MW, except in labor with her it went up a lot. I was swollen all over at the end with her, and just looked not well the last two months... but we wrote it off to fibromyalgia.

But maybe I blame too much on fibro and am missing something else?

Anyway... I've been feeling pretty off today so stopped at the drug store on the way home to check my BP and it was down from last week's prenatal at 135/77.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”