What's going on? What would you do?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : What's going on? What would you do?

Postby trish » Mon Oct 08, 638942 12:50 pm

Sorry to hear it looks like you'll have to deliver sooner rather than later but SO glad you trusted yourself & got to the hospital!!! 33-34 weeks - especially with steroids already in place is a great place to be. Baby should do really well & hopefully just need some feeding & growing time. Glad to hear BP is at least behaving. Hang in there!!! (((HUGS)))

phoenix~mama

Postby phoenix~mama » Mon Oct 08, 638942 7:55 am

Good Luck SnazzyGina! My actual EDD is 11/7

Game plan is still on for induction on 9/26.

mrss

Postby mrss » Mon Oct 08, 638942 5:10 am

I hope things level out for you and you're able to get some more time in.

snazzygina

Postby snazzygina » Sun Oct 07, 638942 12:00 pm

Wow...we are in the SAME boat. I am 33 weeks and 3 days. So far, all of my blood work is ok, my bps go up...but then always come down with rest and my swelling isn't horrible. BUT, my protein levels are going up. right now I'm waiting for the results on a 24 hr test I did yesterday. I'm being monitored from home. They call me daily to get my protein dip levels, bp and kick count. I also go in to get NSTs 2x per week and I see doctor 1x per week. I also had the steroid shots last weekend.

When is your actual due date? Mine is November 4th. I'm hoping to make it to at LEAST 36 weeks.

Sending you LOTS of stable preeclampsia ju ju. Hope you make it another week and keep that baby growing!!!

phoenix~mama

Postby phoenix~mama » Fri Sep 28, 638942 4:19 am

Well, Thursday morning my diagnosis got upped to severe pre-e, as my protein levels are now over 5,000. Which means I have to deliver at 34 weeks, or sooner if anything else bad pops up.

I'm now 33 weeks. I've had the full round of steroids already. My son looks awesome and all NST's are good.

I'm being monitored very closely. My fluid intakes and outputs are being noted, bloodwork being drawn again tomorrow morning to check on the platlette levels and all the other good stuff. So hopefully I make it another week.

This is still very sureal. My BP has actually been relatively okay since I've been in the hospital... it's like I had that one major spike to tell me to go to the hospital.

So, still hanging in.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Sep 14, 638942 7:30 pm

How are you doing now?

Doing everything right has very little to do with this condition, I promise. :) It's a maternal immune response to the foreign placenta. There's pretty much no relationship with diet (researchers have checked that out thoroughly) but there is a relationship with underlying autoimmune conditions, and IIRC fibro can be associated there.

Please keep us posted as you're able.

mrshallinohio

Postby mrshallinohio » Thu Aug 23, 638942 10:33 pm

I am SO glad that you went in, too! I'll be praying that you make it far enough that Baby can stay with you when he/she is born. I've had 2 homebirths and they were truly awesome, but they are definitely for when all is going fine in a pregnancy.

amandaoasis

Postby amandaoasis » Thu Aug 23, 638942 8:46 pm

I'm sorry you have PE, but I am breathing a sigh of relief because you are being watched so closely. I hope you have many more weeks ahead of you! And good for you for listening to yourself...that's not always easy to do.

snazzygina

Postby snazzygina » Thu Aug 23, 638942 8:26 pm

Oh my goodness...so glad you are in the hospital. I truly hope you get at least another week or so for that baby to grow.
I am 33 weeks tomorrow and was in for one night over this past weekend. My protein levels were only around 426 and my bps are anywhere from 140/90 and when I lie down they're at 120/70. But they're usually around 135/82 or so. I also have NO other symptoms except for mild swelling in my hands and legs. I'm being monitored daily by my doc's office. They call every morning for my bps, protein dip and kick count. My goal is to get to 37 weeks.

Hope everything goes well for you. Please keep us updated. :)

phoenix~mama

Postby phoenix~mama » Thu Aug 23, 638942 4:47 pm

Mother intuition is a funny thing, but I'm glad God gave it to us.

So... I'm in the hospital. Monday I started feeling off... and had this nagging intuition that wouldn't set still. So I checked my BP before I went to bed on my Dad's machine. It was 145/89... the bottom number had crept up again, uh-oh. So I went to bed, and when I woke in the morning I felt like utter crap. I was really shakey and fluttery feeling in my chest, and just felt sick, not myself. So I took my BP... 171/100!!!

I decided to eat breakfast and get a shower and rest on my left side for awhile and take it again. It did go down, but was at 156/92.

I called my MW and she said she had gotten back the results of my 24 hour urine protein test and it was only 146, which is good. She asked how I was feeling overall and I said I really did not feel like myself. She said it couldn't hurt to go to the hospital and get things checked out, but it was totally up to me to ride it out or go in.

I still couldn't shake the niggling feeling I had, so I decided to go in. My BP was still up at181/89 when I got here and they sent me up to triage to check on baby and run labs.

The labs showed I was a little high on one thing that does show up when you are pre-e, and they decided to run another 24 hour urine test and keep me overnight to do this and to keep monitoring my BP. At this point they weren't ready to give a diagnosis of pre-e or not.

Well, after I was admitted to an actual room, my MW calls. She had received my result number from a phone call to the lab since I was going into the hospital and she wanted me to have that info ASAP... however when she got home and saw the faxed copy of my resuls... the 146 was only the top number, and in fact my protein levles were 2,363!!!

If the protein is elevated past 1000, you are definitely considered pre-eclamptic, and at that range, you have to stay in the hospital and be monitored very closely. So here I am...

At this point, the goal is to get to 37 weeks and induce. However, if my protein levels go above 5000, they are going to want to deliver at 34 weeks.

If any of my other systems start showing signs of stress, failing, or if baby starts showing stress (so far he is looking awesome!), then they will have to deliver sooner than 34 weeks.

Right now it's a very day to day thing. They have started giving me steroid shots to help speed up the matuirty of DS's lungs, just in case. And the good news is my BP has been stable the past day averaging 140/77.

The perinatologist (and through my own research thus far of pre-e), are not optimisitc of making it to 37 weeks. But anything can happen as pre-e takes a different course in everyone.

I'm still sort of in shock. I was doing everything right. My MW has been awesome and calling and checking in on me a lot, and she said she will come down anytime I want her here for doula support. She also comforted me and told me pre-e is still a lot of unknowns and she has seen many people like me who followed the diet, and did everything wholistically and still get it. Some people just get it, and we never know why.

So here I am... hanging out....

Return to “Ask the Experienced”