Mag Sulfate

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
riehlism

Re : Mag Sulfate

Postby riehlism » Mon Apr 16, 638942 3:53 pm

I was on it for a few days, but I only remember the drunk feeling. But that was it. Or maybe I was just that out of it that I can't remember what it was really like.

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Mon Mar 26, 638942 11:32 pm

That Mag was the worst but it save my life also. It made me super hot like you were in a desert and my face so red. The first thing I kept asking for was water. I was so thirsty..I was so happy when I got off the Mag, only 24 hrs.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Mar 14, 638942 2:15 am

I was on it and wasn't sick at all or nauseous. But although I didn't realize it at the time, looking back, I can barely remember those moments that I was on the mag. Everything is kind of fuzzy. But I do remember the nurses being shocked that I had no ill effects to the mag. Luckily I was only on it for 2 days

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue Mar 13, 638942 8:47 pm

When I first started the mag, it wasn't so bad and I wasn't sure what the big to-do was about it. But then I had some nausea, but that was taken care of by the doc by adding anti-nausea meds which worked fine. The part that hit me and made me really dislike it was the effects over several days...feeling loopy and out of it, difficult to converse/pull words together to say what I wanted, and I am pretty sure my vision was affected to...it didn't seem like pre-e vision issues but more tied to the loopiness/fatigue. It is hard to say what parts are the mag, and which are pre-e, though, so I agree with the others on that.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Tue Mar 13, 638942 10:37 am

The side effects were bad, I was so on fire and my entire body was just hot and it felt like i was sucking on pennies. I had a hard time getting around to the bathroom and had a hard time talking and really getting my thoughts together. It would def be great if those things didnt happen but it saved my life so i try to think like kara said.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Mar 13, 638942 1:48 am

I was on it for a week and DID overdose. They took me off it for a few hours until my levels went down and then I was put back on it. Remember that with PE you are REALLY ill, multi-system organ failure, and such, so some of the side effects aren't just magnesium. It wasn't the worst thing I ever had, but the heat/hot flashes, inability to focus my eyes and lack of muscle control was annoying at best. It may have saved my life, so I don't care how bad it made me feel.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Tue Mar 13, 638942 1:40 am

I was on it for a week, then discharged, then again for a week before DD was born, and then 24 hours afterwards. She had mag. toxicity as a result, and was fairly floppy at birth and had a hard time feeding at first, but was fine once it was out of her system.

When I had my son, I remember being a lot more affected by it, and was on it for 6 days (2 days before delivery, and off and on for another 4 days).

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Dec 26, 638939 11:01 am

The only side effect I had was feeling like an elephant was sitting on top of me when they made me sit up (because of my c-section they wanted me to sit up the next day to start using the muscles a bit), and then my body felt like it was on fire. I also hated the leg things, almost as much as the mag. My room was nicknamed "winter wonderland" and I was eating popsicles, with a fan on me, with the room temp as low as they could make it, while everyone else bundled up.

I hope we all avoid the mag completely next time!

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Sat Dec 26, 638939 10:25 am

I was pretty sick when I was on mag, but I don't remember the side effects you describe. I felt like my thinking was fuzzy which was my main objection to it. It also made me hot; rather, I was not hot bc the nurses kept the room temp at what felt like "normal" to me. Everyone else in the room was bundled up and freezing!

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Dec 26, 638939 7:34 am

I don't know if there is a way to avoid the side effects, but not everyone gets them. Maybe your headache was caused by pre-e and not the mag?

Once I even had magnesium sulfate as part of an iv cocktail to break a migraine... they did throw an anti-nausea med in there too though.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”