Work or not to work, suggestions?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
love_the_daschies

Re : Work or not to work, suggestions?

Postby love_the_daschies » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:14 pm

I have a very stressful job as well. I went off call the moment I found out I was pregnant. Then I went out of work at 20 weeks. My BP was rising, my protein was just under the cut-off for PE and I was having more and more high pressure readings. My doctor didn't seem to feel I really needed the bedrest until 27 weeks - but then he kept me in the hospital from 29 weeks on to 36 + 3! For me, I found bedrest beneficial. either way, I felt I was doing all I could - it was very hard though and I constantly rethought whether bed rest was really necessary and wanted to go back to work.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Here's what our Experts have said about bedrest, and here's what they've said about stress.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri Aug 27, 2010 06:09 pm

This is a question that I struggle with myself. For me I am cutting back my hour at the 20 weeks mark because mentally it will make me feel better as I am a hair stylist and always on my feet.

I feel do what is going to make you feel best and like you are doing everything you can to keep this pregnancy going!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 09:26 am

I worked throughout my pregnancy even after developing PIH at 28 weeks with pretty high pressures. That said, my job isn't very stressful, but I also knew I wasn't a very good bed rest candidate. I felt like working was less stressful because it kept me busy/not thinking about pregnancy, etc. My doc never asked me to rest/take off work, etc, but not saying that it can't be helpful to someone with a stressful job.

miamibunnie

Postby miamibunnie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 07:52 pm

Littleblue I had a loss 3 months ago I was almost 6 months by 1 week. I also am a surgicsl coordinator and it is very stressful. Working in the health care is serious stuff. At least thats the way I see my pt's. But I reccomeend you stay home at least for 4-6 weeks around the time that your baby is viable just incase anything occurs. With todays technology a baby can survive after 6 months but 7 and 8 is better than 5 and 6.

littlebluebelle

Postby littlebluebelle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 06:52 pm

That was my other issue too, I trial going back to work and then I still would need a ton of follow up appointments that I need time off for. The doc suggested half days which doesn't work at all where I work. My half days always turn into 3/4 days or more. I go back on Tuesday for all my labwork results, we'll see what she says. Hopefully she won't make me feel like an idiot! :)

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu Aug 26, 2010 06:45 pm

My doctor insisted I could keep working, etc. etc. etc. My co-workers were astounded I wasn't on bedrest. I definitely regret working as long as I did.

I'm still going through fertility treatments but I resigned from my work in anticipation of getting pregnant (luckily we're more than fine financially without my paycheck. I'm a teacher and it was getting impossible to schedule fertility appointments without taking a zillion days off.)

brandib

Postby brandib » Thu Aug 26, 2010 06:38 pm

I think being off of your feet more is better. I wouldn't go back to work. YOu are still early in your pregnancy and you really need all the time you can to cook your little bun! I would reccommend not going to work. While they haven't proven stress to really cause PE, they have shown that bedrest helps some people. Maybe you are one of them. I think you should ask your doc for the note. Let us know!

littlebluebelle

Postby littlebluebelle » Thu Aug 26, 2010 06:30 pm

Thanks for your response, and I think that's what makes me feel so uneasy about going back to work. It is all of the possible outcomes that could happen. I just want to make sure I'm not totally crazy for not wanting to go back!

kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 04:51 pm

I took my bp 4+ times a day toward the end, including at least twice at work, and I KNOW the stress of my job made it spike. If I had known then what I know now about the outcome of that, I would definitely have taken off work sooner, or at least rested more throughout the work day. I believe the research is mixed on the effectiveness of bedrest per se and the role of stress/anxiety in pregnancy complications. Advocate for what you feel like you need.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”