What will happen to me-unique situation

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jean

Re : What will happen to me-unique situation

Postby jean » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:26 am

I probably could..I might die of the heat though. We don't have AC at our place. I just don't know if I could wear long sleeves and pants all of the time..
I have considered that though.
I am just scared and wonder if the rash would be worse/and or harmful if I was pg.

season
Forum Moderator

Re : What will happen to me-unique situation

Postby season » Fri Aug 20, 2010 00:33 am

I am not a doctor and have no idea of this reaction would be harmful in pregnancy.

Can you just wear a long sleeve rash guard type shirt and long pants. I know you'd be hot - but your skin would be protected form the sun - and this avoiding the reaction?

jean

What will happen to me-unique situation

Postby jean » Thu Aug 19, 2010 06:07 pm

Every summer I get a rash from the sun on my arms and legs-it's called Polymorphus light eruption. I've talked to a skin Dr. about it and read up on it too-it's kind of like an autoimmune thing-the body doesn't like the skin's changes when exposed to the sun, so it breaks out in a rash. After adjusting for awhile and when the skin hardens, the rash goes away. It doesn't seem to affect me in any way other than the rash.

I asked my doctor what would happen if I was pg and got this rash (if we get pg as planned, that would put me due in late summer so I would def. get the rash) My Dr. said I'd be on bedrest, so it probably wouldn't be an issue. (Because I'd be indoors out of the sun)

But the thing is, now they're discovering bedrest doesn't help. And I would hate to be cooped up indoors if I didn't have to be. (I would be super depressed) But this rash comes to get me, even if I'm riding in a car and sitting in sunlight!

So how does the body respond when pregnant to things like this? Will I get the rash worse because my body is protecting the baby, or it would it be less bad because of being pg? Could this jumpstart PE or HELLP or something? I'm worried. (But I don't know that there's much I can do about it) Any ideas?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”