Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jacobkaden

Re : Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

Postby jacobkaden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:30 pm

I was also really swollen, exactly like you are describing, along with a 10lb weight gain in one week! Luckily I had been doing reading about PE before it struck, so I knew what to look for. Even my doctor originally wasn't too concerned (as everything was normal at my prenatal appt. 2 weeks prior), but luckily he had me come into L & D "just to check things out". Before I knew it, there was a team of doctors crowding around me, refusing to let me go anywhere! My swelling also left dents in my skin when pressed that would not immediately pop back out. I found out once hospitalized that the swelling was actually caused by my body retaining fluid because my kidneys were failing from the PE! I was admitted at 26 weeks exactly and delivered 4 days later. You are very lucky to be at 32 weeks, 3 days. Hopefully you can coast along safely for a few more weeks. Good luck tomorrow!

bettie

Postby bettie » Tue Aug 31, 2010 09:34 pm

I am definitely going to try and have him get me in the hospital in the morning. I will keep you ladies updated with everything that is going on.l thank you for having such an interest in whats going on with my pregnancy. it helps me not to feel alone in this!Oh yeah someone asked how far along I am now. i am 32 weeks and 3 days now.

I have been having swelling in my feet and ankles clear up to my knees sometimes. i feel like its pretty bad, it even makes my feet itch! and when I touch or rub my feet you can actually see my finger prints left in my feet! This is not ur typical pregnancy swelling is it?It mostly goes away at night while I sleep. i sweat and then when i wake up in the morning i am still a little swollen but not near as much. All my appointments are early morning so my dr necver quite gets to see what i am talking about. By lunch time its pretty painful aND by night time it is itching and my husband rolls me around on an office chair LOL I have mentioned this to nurses and a midwife but they never seem too concerned so i was just interested if you guys experienced this same type of thing with PE or if it was just your normal pregnancy swelling like the nurses and midwifes seem to think since it goes away for the most part while i sleep.

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 pm

It's not too late to ask to be admitted. Just tell the doctor that you are scared and are not able to rest properly at home because you feel you would be better monitored at the hospital, all true by the way. Better safe than sorry. I also recall some horror stories from some military wives. You have to advocate for both your life and that of your sweet babe's.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 04:34 pm

I havent heard of a connection between anemia and PE. Anemia is very common among pregnant ladies though. I have to take an additional iron pill everyday.
Maybe at your next appt you can talk about being admitted for bedrest if you arent comfortable at home. Am I remembering right that you are a military wife? I have heard some bad stories from military wives that have to do with the hospital.
If you arent keeping a book that logs your symptoms and BP like breanne mentioned then def start that. I kept one and it can also log when you were told certain things like lab results.
I had a message from my Peris office that my labs were normal then when I went in a couple days later I brought it up to my Dr when she pulled out my labs discussing my results and she was shocked they had been called in normal which surprised me to because it was the labwork about my Protein S which is low and we were checking what the current level was before starting my Heprin dosage. Id bring that up to your Dr if you havent as well how you werent called with your results.

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 03:54 pm

I was in the dark about a lot of things my first pregnancy and look what happened. This pregnancy I have asked for a copy of all of my lab work, I call the office regularly and repeat myself often. Another good idea is to keep a journal of your symptoms and questions, and make a little outline before you see your doctor. I also take notes so I remember what he says and can look stuff up later. I pray that you get the care you diserve. Good Luck :)

bettie

Postby bettie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 03:06 pm

When I seen my doctor on Thursday he said at the next appointment we are going to talk about getting the steroid shots. I see him on Wednesday, from the way he sounded, he sounded like he planned on giving them to me then. When i talked to him then he said my urine protein was elevated even more, so it is definitely trending upward. i went from 288 to 362 to now 485.He had also asked me if i felt i could get rest at home and if not he was going to admit me, but since i have no kids or anything i told him that i should be able to get plenty of rest. now I am eating my words. i wish i would have asked him to go ahead and let me stay at the hospital.

I am curious about being anemic and having preeclampsia though. I know it is common to become anemic during pregnancy, but I am wondering if there is some type of connection. I have been taking a prenatal vitamin with iron faithfully everyday and that didnt even do the trick! So I am wondering if the two are somehow related? I know I read anemia can be more dangerous if you have preeclampsia because it can cause congestive heart failure. I am a little astonished though that no one called me to inform me i was anemic and i was in the hospital two times after my blood work was in and no one noticed anything in my chart until today! makes me question the staff at the hospital.

milesymommy

Postby milesymommy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 02:30 pm

It is common they take your BP laying down. There's been several topics on it. Essentially, it shows "if" your body can return to normal. It's not "as" serious if your body can return to normal laying down.
I know exactly what you are thinking - "but I don't live laying down on my left side!!!" I hated having my BP taken this way too.
BTW, did you ask about getting the steroid shot to be on the safe side?

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:58 am

I am also shocked you arent admitted today. I was hoping all weekend that today you would be admitted at least for 24 hours for a 24 hour urine and to watch your BP for that time period. How far along are you now?

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:34 am

Oops, I clicked the wrong button and sent my reply before I was done. I meant to say I would also be INSISTING on the steroid shots NOW!

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:33 am

I cannot believe they are not admitting you - this seems very negligent to me! There are so many horror stories on here of women who have lost their babies in a matter of hours, some even while in hospital. Can you INSIST on being admitted with your 24 hour proteins running so high? I would also be INSISTING

Return to “Ask the Experienced”