Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
milesymommy

Re : Just diagnosed with preeclampsia, UPDATE!!!

Postby milesymommy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:15 am

I hope the iron supplements help!! I hated the "you're really not that swollen" from nurses too.
Don't let them try to influence you to not going in because they contacted your hubbys command. They can absolutley not interfere. In fact, I would complain to the hospital that it is a breach of patient confidentiality to tell the command anything about your treatment, condition, or anything. It may be a military hospital, but privacy laws are still applicable.

thaiba2000

Postby thaiba2000 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:45 am

Just read your posts hon. I was your age when i had my 1st child and had Pre-eclampsia. Didnt know nothing about it at the time but since then have learnt alot about it. Knowledge is the key with this condition and do not let other people tell you "youre fine, you can go home" cos if u dont feel well then its your right to get the care you deserve.

Keep us up-dated as you are doing. I will be reading your posts to see how you get on. Good luck!

bettie

Postby bettie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 am

Just thought I would update on todays appointment. Today i was so pale and o0ut of breath by the time I made it to the nst room the nurse doing my nst called the midwife in to see me.So FINALLY after two visits to the hospital someone decided to look at my chart and my labs that I did on Thursday last week. And low and behold I am severally anemic! No wonder I have been feeling so crappy and fatigued. They gave me iron supplements so hopefully that will help me get some energy back and feel better.

bettie

Postby bettie » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 am

Yea me either. I even had a low grade temp of 99.5 The nurse said I wasnt drinking enough water when I absolutely know I have been drinking enough fluid. The problem I am running into is my OB office is actually in the hospital that Labor and Delivery is in and they will only let you see the dr thats on call for that evening. Last night a dr never even came in to see me or talk to me at all. I see the same dr every week though. i just wish he would have been the OB on call he would have at least come and spoke to me. They didnt run any labs or anything. just dipped my urine and that's it. Before I loft for the hospital my blood pressure was 150/96. Thats what prompted me to gob ahead and go. Swollen feet legs hands and elevated blood pressure with blurry vision. I was like hmm probably time to go in. Once I got there the nurse made me lay down on my side and she took my blood pressure that way. Thats the first time Ive ever been layed down and had my blood pressure taken. usually they have me lay down for 10 minutes and then have me sit up when they actually take it. she even had me straighten my arm all the way and turn it over where my palm was facing up. My pressure 105/58... I have NEVER in my life had a pressure that low. I mean it probably should have been up a little just for the simple fact I was nervous. But I guess at this point there not really a whole lot that i can do. I have to wait til monday to talk to my dr.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 00:13 am

I would def do total bedrest right now and put your feet up. I cant believe they sent you home. I was sent over twice with my last pregnancy and when i was admitted with my 1st the nurses kept saying i didnt look like a PE patient and def didnt look like I had anything wrong with me and then complained about what tests they were having to run on me... my protein for my 24 hour came back at about 3000 with being dipped at trace the afternoon before.
Are you able to call into a Dr on call with your OB office?

bettie

Postby bettie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:22 pm

well I just left l4. I had blurred vision and swollen legs. They sent me home cause my bp was normal. And my urine was negative for protein, which all of my spot urines have been, the 24 hour urines are the only ones that come back high. My vision is still blurred and I don't feel well. Oh well. Just keep waiting around to zee my dr. The nurse at l ?d d actually said " you don't LOOK like the typical puffy overweight girl we see here with pre e." guess I have to be over weight to be taken seriously?! Not sure. My legs and feet are really swollen. I think I am putting myself on complete bedrest! I'm just gonna try and take it easy I guess.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 07:04 pm

it goes very quickly and you def should not wait, its much better to be safe. My pregnancies went from bad to worse in a matter of like an hour and I was in the hospital on bedrest. I also had no warning signs even in the hospital with 3000 protein in my urine I didnt "feel" or look sick. Just hours before starting the 24 hour urine that came back at 3000 I dipped trace and my BP was about 135/75 (my normal is 110/63 about). I walked in that pregnancy (#1) and the nurses were talking behind the current saying they couldnt believe I was being watched and admitted to start a 24 hour because I didnt look sick and I was "healthy"

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 06:43 pm

please don't wait for Monday if you don't feel good. Go to L&D just to make sure. My HELLP syndrome progressed quickly, so don't take any chances. Better to be safe and have them run labs and take a look at you.

Let us know how you are doing.

bettie

Postby bettie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 am

Yea I don't have any of the "warning signs" but I feel like crap. My sister pointed out to me that face and lips are swollen as well. I feel like I need to be checked out but l and d doesn't want me to come or seem concerned cause I don't have warning signs. I'm not sure what I am to do now. Guess I'll just wait, if it progresses more I am going in and they can just see me anyway! I think if they actually seen what I look like that might change their minds. All this has changed in a matter of few hours. Crzy.

I wish I would have went ahead and got the doula now. I wonder if it's too late?

mrss

Postby mrss » Fri Aug 27, 2010 09:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Bettie

I had originally planned for a natural birth with no drugs or medicine even was thinking of hiring a doula. Unfortunately I have had to change all my plans because of my PE diagnosis. It's really disappointing to me, but I don't want to put my baby and I at risk either.

You absolutely can still hire a doula! Doulas are not only for non-medically oriented labors. A doula's role is to support the mother no matter the situation. My doula had pre-e with two of her pregnancies and she was fabulous! I really appreciated having someone there who had BTDT and gone through an induction for pre-e (with the same OB/GYN, no less).

ETA: I never had mag during my induction. For me, I just dealt with the pit contractions until my BP started to increase and then I got an epidural. The epidural did a really good job of bringing down my BP. I also had relatively few problems breastfeeding. I was very fortunate that my DS did not have to spend any time in the NICU. Even at 37 weeks he was a "disorganized" nurser and I had to wake him every 2 hours around the clock to feed him, but I never had to pump.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”