to call or not to call that is the question.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
katznkt

Re : to call or not to call that is the question.

Postby katznkt » Sat Aug 07, 2010 07:59 pm

Glad you got clarification. I always called. Nothing ever came of calling though, because they always told me that if I was concerned to go to the hospital. There they would draw blood, take one blood pressure while I was on my side for an hour and then send me home. Even when the one pressure was 160/90. Frustrating!!

But always better to call and be safe than sorry! :)

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 05:32 pm

thanks for your reassurance. I called and talked to the on call ob. the criteria for me is if its 130s/80s take every hour for 6 hours. If its still high call.. and anything 140s/90s for more than an hr call and anything above that er bc my baseline is so low and i had seizures last time that he doesnt want to take the chance. I'm so nervous. Its weird being right on the borderline of a pre e diagnosis knowing it could go either way.

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Sat Aug 07, 2010 04:50 pm

A call is always a great way to go. You get the information you need without having to go in to the hospital or dr's office. Just getting clarification about how long "consistently" is will be well worth the call.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 03:34 pm

I am with alviarin, when in doubt, call! That is a very good motto. And that is what my dr and his nurses told me when I first started coming in his office. Even if it is nothing at least you called and it helps you with the reasurance. It isnt like you are going to the ER and running up a medical bill it is a call to get them informed and they know you and your medical history to say if you need to come back or not.

I am surprised they didnt put you on bed rest when you went home. My dr did the first time and wanted to make sure I had some one to help with the kids because if not he was sending me to the Hospital the first time.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 02:55 pm

When in doubt, call, is my motto. You could even just call to ask how long would be considered consistent: 1/2 hour, hour, 4 hours....

I was told to call if my pressures remained above a certain number for 1/2 hour, but it could very well be different for you.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

breannesmith55

to call or not to call that is the question.

Postby breannesmith55 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 01:55 pm

my bp baseline is 105/60 I went to the doctor and it had spiked to 139/83. Along with my headaches, and swelling, They admitted me to do a 24 hour urine and observe. My 24 hour went up from 209 (10 week level) to 225 (still good) also once I was admitted the highest my blood pressure went up to was 123/63. The only time I was able to get up in the hospital was to use the restroom. Now that I am home cleaning/running around w/ my 2 year old. my bp is back up 142/90, so I have decided to rest but I still havent been able to get it to go down under 139/86. I'm supposed to call if it "consistantly stays 130s/80s" I just got out of the hospital yesterday and I do not want to cry wolf or over react. I feel like I finally am getting the care I need and do not want to be paranoid and ruin it. How long should I wait to see if it drops? I have been taking it every hour for 4 hours now. Last night it was great 115/70

Return to “Ask the Experienced”