Does PE effect milk supply?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
anonpreemiemom

Re : Does PE effect milk supply?

Postby anonpreemiemom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 06:22 pm

It's going to be absolutely affected depending on how early the baby came and how severe your PE was/what meds you were on.

My case is a perfect ex:
Preg #1:
-Delivery at 28 weeks, HELLP and PE
-Mom in ICU for 3 days with major liver problems. High doses of Mag
-Did not see my son for 3 days
-A pump was brought in but nurses had to help me hold it since I had catheters and IVs and stuff in both arms and couldnt move much.
-Hardly ideal for initial pumping
Outcome: Never a good supply - terrible initially but I kept at it and pumped for 11 months for my preemie. Barely kept up, supplemented as well. Had so little I never leaked or even felt a letdown.

Preg #2
No pre-e. Full term baby born and breastfed within 1 hr of delivery.
- I have a ton of milk. Gobs, leak everywhere all the time
- Poor son chokes unless I squirt out a bunch. Is actually a problem at moment.
- Son has gained 3 lbs in less than a month exclusively breastfed :)

Totally believe there is a difference

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Tue Aug 03, 2010 04:43 pm

I had no problems with my milk supply. I had to pump since my little one was in the NICU, but I used the hospital grade pump. The hospital pump made a big difference in the amount I pumped compared to the Medela Advanced Pump In Style. Good luck!

mechia_yoyo

Postby mechia_yoyo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 04:25 pm

Thanks for the information! I'm thinking the preemie factor as well as the ICU stay have been the biggest impediments in the first pregnancy. We'll see how things go this time :)....

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 pm

With my firstborn I did have supply issues, he was born at 38 weeks narrowly avoiding an emergency c-section. However I was also extremely swollen and put on a diuretic after delivery. And diuretics can affect supply. Me being very anemic post-delivery might have also had a negative impact. I supplemented with formula at first.

With my second I didn't get as sick and didn't have any problems with milk supply. However my daughter, born at 37 weeks, had some feeding issues because she was sleepy and jaundiced.

I have read on some breast feeding related sites that edema can contribute to supply problems, but I haven't seen an official source or reference to back that up yet.

mommy2maddie

Postby mommy2maddie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 09:31 pm

With my daughter I had a lot of trouble with my milk supply. Ultimately she was given my breastmilk for 6 weeks and then I stopped because I barely was producing any at all at that point. I dont know if it is the PE that effects milk supply but Im sure it has something to do with our babies not being full term. Also I think a lot of us dont take very good care of our bodies after birth, we are recovering from the emotional effects of PE and dealing with our babies in the NICU and taking care of ourselves always comes in last. With my son I was pumping every three hours and going to the NICU every three hours to feed him as well, day and night. I was exhausted and my milk supply was paying the price. I thought maybe if I pumped every two hours it would help but it didnt. I remeber a nurse telling me one night that I needed to take care of myself drink tons of water and for just one night pump and let dad come feed the baby so I could sleep. So thats what I did but I felt guilty because I felt like if I wasnt there he wouldnt eat all his bottle, silly I know!!

kqkitty

Postby kqkitty » Mon Aug 02, 2010 04:34 pm

I delivered at 37 weeks, no nursing issues, but she did drop 13 oz in our 4 days in the hospital. Now at 2 months, she's up 4+lbs from her birth weight.

I was on labetalol for a week post partum, apparently it can help with milk supply.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 03:40 pm

I had no problems with my milk supply.

spdmom

Postby spdmom » Mon Aug 02, 2010 03:24 pm

I always have an overabundance. I kind of thought it was my body's way of getting rid of all the extra water weight...

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 01:59 pm

I delivered at 33 weeks, and my son was in the NICU for 3 weeks. Milk supply was fine...came in rather well, so I was able to pump and breastfeed. And I wasn't one that pumped as frequently as suggested, and I still did okay. The reason I ultimately stopped bfing and pumping at 3 mos postpartum was because my son got too used to bottles at daycare so it made it painful....I tried pumping alone and that just got to be too much to keep up with since I was at work.

I agree about the NICU lactation consultants...the one that helped me was very good. She is the one that encouraged me (in a nice way) to add a couple more pumping sessions in, and she helped me figure out how to breastfeed my little one.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 01:09 pm

I had no issues with getting milk supply in with my daughter- it took a few days, but it started really flowing within a week. My daughter was in NIC unit for monitoring and I could not get out of bed and they would only bring her in a few times a day, so I had to pump while at hospital most of the time. My biggest problem was let down- this might be too much info- but I would just massage before pumping and it seemed to help with the letdown issue. And I pumped religiously at certain intervals during the day to try to get breastmilk flowing.

The NIC units usually have their own lactation consultants- I found they helped me a lot in getting through pumping and breastfeeding issues.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”