Tachycardia and PE history?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mkvh

Re : Tachycardia and PE history?

Postby mkvh » Mon Oct 01, 638936 12:41 pm

Thanks Kelli! That was interesting reading. And you are right--with our histories, any cardiac blip is going to to attract attention and "probably" be linked.

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Thu Sep 20, 638936 7:00 am

I guess that with any issues with your heart, blood pressure or blood flow in general will be a deal with a PE past....He may be concerned with you having PE in the past & how your body is handling this pregnancy (this is merely a thought). I did find this conversation about pregnant women experiencing tachycardia issues (http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about204323.html)

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Thu Sep 20, 638936 6:44 am

Thanks ladies. I am on no meds--the BPs are just nice and low. And outside of pregnancy, I do not experience this at least to the extreme that I am now.

The cardiologist indicated that what I am experiencing is NOT normal--during my EKG a couple of weeks ago, my heartrate was in the 70s-90s, but today it was 110. He did indicate that I should 'take it easy' and not push myself.

I guess I'm just curious as to why he alluded to relationship between the tachycardic episodes and my pre-e history.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Sep 19, 638936 8:22 pm

Hi there! I know in pregnancy for me my heart rate was always higher. Not sure why exactly that is. Possibly something to do with blood volume? I also know that having a higher heart rate during pregnancy can be normal.

kqkitty

Postby kqkitty » Wed Sep 19, 638936 12:05 pm

I had mild pre-e, but my heart rate was frequently 130s-150s. Apparently it's ultra common in pregnancy.

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Wed Sep 19, 638936 11:03 am

Well, I've looked into this before because my heart rate seemed high to me during pregnancies & I was told this:
While not pregnant, the normal resting heart rate for an adult is 60-70 bpm (it increases with activity, obviously).
When a woman is pregnant the heart enlarges a little to accomodate the extra blood flood and oxygen the baby and body needs...that will increase the heart rate 10-20bpm (depending on what it was before pregnancy)...

I saw that your BPs have been great. Is that on or off of meds? I know that if your body is adjusting to a lower BP the pulse goes up to make sure that the organs are getting the appropriate amount of blood.
Did he tell you to avoid activities? He probably is mindful of it because whatever the HR is, the baby's is adjusting as well...
Have you ever had a history of a high HR out of pregnancy?

mkvh

Tachycardia and PE history?

Postby mkvh » Wed Sep 19, 638936 1:30 am

Currently I am 34w pregnant with #3. I had severe pre-e and post-partum with my first and extremely mild PIH with my 2nd near term as well. After her birth, my BPs remained borderline high for nearly a year and then normalized. This pregnancy, my BPs have been stellar (100s/60s).

However, I have been dealing with extreme shortness of breath. My OB referred me to a cardiologist who specializes in pregnancy, and I saw him today. My EKG was normal, but my heart rate was 110 in the office today.

As we talked through my history and my symptoms, he said that the tachycardia was probably related to my history of gestational hypertension and that we need to be watchful.

I wondered if anyone could point me to some information about the relationship between the two?? Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”