Severe Early Onset PE Ladies

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
atvlady

Re : Severe Early Onset PE Ladies

Postby atvlady » Sun Jul 25, 2010 00:10 am

I was always told I was normal when I went to the dr years and months prior to pregnancy. When my BP shot up while I was pregnant, I was never told. Little over a year out from delivering, my BP tends to run a little high, 130-140's / 90-80's. Am going to talk to my OB about that Friday. She did mention medicating right before I became pregnant. I did take Methyldopa right after I delivered and it flared my AIHA so I can NEVER take that again. My Hematologist said if I did, it would probably be fatal next time.

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 pm

Jamilyn, what type of blood clotting disorders do you have? How how close to term did you discontinue the Heparin?

Ladies, do you know if many people end up with chronic hypertension after PE, when they were normotensive prior?

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Yeah Vit D is very common and I think its just because more people are getting tested for it. I had never been tested and had to ask to be tested they usually only test older people. So I dont really think it has a link the more I find out about it. My PCP decided to not really attack mine that much im on 50,000 once a week and was just moved to once a month and then we will re test and see if I need more of it or if it has got better. I think I was at 20 but Im not sure I havent been able to see my records yet.
Heprin is twice a day and the lovenox is once a day. It doesnt take as long to get out of your body and my Peri preferred Heprin so I just went with it. I saw a hemotologist once I got on the shots to make sure the dosage was ok and that he agreed with the problems. If you find out you have disorders then see the Hemotologist before you get pregnant. I found out I had them just before I got pregnant so I didnt have time to do a pre-consult with a Hemotologist.

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Jul 24, 2010 07:57 pm

Jamilyn, twice a day shots?! That doesn't sound fun at all. Funny you mention Vitamin D deficiency. I ran into some information about that yesterday and some studies did show a correlation between Vitamin D deficiency and PE. I was very, very deficient prior to pregnancy and throughout my pregnancy. I was even on a 50,000 IU dose of Vitamin D and stayed deficient. However, I do know that Vitamin has been a medical bandwagon in recent years, hence all the recent research on it. Incidence studies showed that about half the population is Vitamin D deficient. So I find it unclear if Vitamin D and PE have as strong a correlation as the first study suggests...or if the correlation exists *because* 50% of the population is Vitamin D deficient.

Rachel, no residuals after the TIA? How's the BP post babies?

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat Jul 24, 2010 07:35 pm

I am sort of atypical because my pe came on earlier with each pregnancy. With my first, I had severe pe at 30 weeks and developed HELLP at 33 weeks. My second, had high bp starting at 17 weeks, developed severe pe at 34 weeks and delivered my baby at 36 weeks. The last one was the worst of all. I had high bp at 13 weeks, developed severe pe with elevated liver enzymes at 22 weeks, had a TIA around 26 weeks, pre-term labor around 28 weeks and finally delivered my baby at 33 weeks. I was put on heparin and baby aspirin after the TIA because it was discovered that I had low protein S that has subsequently resolved itself post-pregnancy.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 06:50 pm

I was on Heprin shots twice a day for number 2 and 3. Along with any vitamin they could think of putting me on. I have 3 blood clotting disorders but seem to get totally different readings everytime Ive had it ran when Im not pregnant so Im not sure how bad they are. My OB/Peri says Im just one of those that we dont know why I get it and def have no reason to get it as early as I do since Im young, healthy, have low BP and am in shape.
We did just find out I have low Vit D (I live in AZ) but before I had never been checked so I have no idea if that has played a part in it.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Sat Jul 24, 2010 05:29 pm

Hi Jasmin,

I had severe early on set superimposed PE in my first pregnancy and my son didn't make it as I delivered him at 22 weeks.

My second pregnancy I went in as a chronic hypertensive. I made it to 29 weeks before my BP really shot up and at 31 weeks I was diagnostic. I was admitted to hospital bedrest and made it to 36 weeks until I went into labor. doctors told me I would be lucky to make it to my 3rd trimester - all except my MFM who was supportive and said we would just see what happened. The main difference between my pregnancies was that I was on blood pressure meds from the start with #2, took LDA, and did 16 weeks of bedrest!

riehlism

Postby riehlism » Sat Jul 24, 2010 04:07 pm

That's quite a story Amber. You're the first person I read about on the forums that had a stroke. Any post stroke symptoms like: hyperreflexia, +babinksi, hypertonicity, dysarthria,, dysphagia, one sided weakness? Or was it just a TIA (transient ischemic attack, aka mini stroke)?

breannesmith55

Postby breannesmith55 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 04:05 pm

I'm still trying to get all of my records from my first pregnancy (its hard bc I'm in a different state now and I cant find my old ob) but anyway with this pregnancy (I'm almost 16 weeks) and my blood pressure has been awesome for the past few weeks. I'm in the 2nd trimester dip I believe, which I didn't have with my first.

The doctor put me on baby asprin from the begining this time and I honestly think that has helped me, or I would like to believe so anyways.

Its so interesting reading all of these posts, there isnt one thing we all have in common (that we know of) there are so many different outcomes of similar situations.

sckitzo

Postby sckitzo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 03:34 pm

riehlism, I am joining this a little late. But here is the short version (if that is possible). Baby girl in 2005 perfect pregnancy until 29 weeks we had a growth ultrasound and everything was fine. For the next month I had been calling in complaining of swelling, just to be told I was pregnant and that happens. At my next appt at 33 weeks, the ob took one look at me then dipped my urine. And sent me to the hospital. Once at the hospital my bp was 138/85 which is way high for me. 3 days later I got the PE headache and was induced, and put on mag, with bp meds. My baby girl measured the same as on her 29 week ultrasound. She had 3 weeks in the NICU, but is a happy healthy 5 year old.
My second pregnancy was a year later in 2006, Great pregnancy until 23 weeks. I was under alot of emotional stress that week, and was fighting with my hubby, so I was not getting much sleep for to nights in a row. I felt very run down and I noticed the slightest bit of swelling in my ankles. So I drove to hospital and decided to watch me. The next three days my bp creeped up but still was in normal range. The morning of day 4 in the hospital I woke up with a headache, and I was feeling sick to my stomach. At 9:20 I was given phenagran and I started twitching. By 9:30 I was having Grand Mal Seizures, followed by emergancy C section. I was in a coma the rest of the day. I improved, and 5 days later they were going to let me out of the hospital, but then I got the PE headache again, They put me on a high dose of mag for fear I would seize again. Then next night I had a stroke because I was overdosed on mag and it lowered my bp to much. I did recover from that and 6 months post part my heart and lungs,liver and kidneys were back to normal, my bp is normal again also.
We were not going to have anymore. But Surprise Just found out 3 days ago I am 4 weeks along so we will see. I am going to a large learning hospital this time. All my immune,blood, etc disorders I was tested for were negative so that is good I guess. I am on Low dose aspirin, and am hoping to be put on lovenox. But we will see. I will be obsessed with this site again I am sure.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”