2 vessel cord (single artery, SUA)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
beth0277

Re : 2 vessel cord (single artery, SUA)

Postby beth0277 » Sat Apr 21, 638936 9:52 pm

The cord can in fact change from 3 vessel to 2. It most often happens early in the pregnancy. I had unexplained first trimester bleeding and once it was discovered that there were only 2 vessels in the cord my OB said that was most likely the cause of the bleeding, as one of the vessels clotted off. I *believe* most cords start out as 3 but for some unknown reason clot off to become 2 in cases such as ours. I am sure that it could develop as strictly a 2 vessel cord, but I do not think this is normally the case.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:35 pm

I think that PE which technically happens at implantation is also associated with 2-vessel cords.
So whetever happens right at the beginning will effect both. Don't know mcu abut it, thouigh.

brandib

Postby brandib » Sat Apr 21, 638936 2:16 pm

I'm pretty sure someone messed up! I don't think there can be two arteries and then one just disappear. I mean, it's an artery. I had two friends with a two vessel cord and they were both induced @ 38 weeks for it and were closely monitored with ultrasounds. I don't understand why your doc never told you ???!!!

angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Apr 21, 638936 1:35 pm

The weird thing about our situation was that in the first ultrasound report (19 wks) it says 3 vessel cord, almost a month later it specifically says a 2 vessel cord, and my ob mentioned it in her report. Can a 3 vessel cord change to a 2 vessel cord or did someone screw up somewhere?

Olivia had severe growth restriction, and then I went straight to HELLP, no high blood pressures, no protein, just HELLP.

I have a hard time believing that SUA happens 1% of pregnancies, HELLP is less than 1%, I managed to have both and they aren't related? Since they do mention growth issues with SUA, and Olivia had growth issues before the HELLP set in, it just makes me wonder what else it did.

I'm so beyond ticked that my ob and the MFM at the ultrasound never even mentioned the cord to me, not even when we were going over the placenta pathology, etc. in my postpartum checks.

mbshu

Postby mbshu » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:33 am

I also had Single Umbilical Artery with my daughter. They discovered it in the first Ultrasound and watched it throughout the pregnancy. Had several Non Stress Tests (?) (think thats what they were called now) at the end of the pregnancy. Never had issues with blood pressure during pregnancy but had it skyrocketed and was terrible after the birth up to 5 mos post partum, (now chronic). That would be interesting to see if there is a link, I never thought of that.

beth0277

Postby beth0277 » Sat Apr 21, 638936 7:17 am

I'm not sure of the significance but I can say that I also had a SUA with my little man and ended up with severe PPPE. I believe it happens in about 1% of pregnancies and can be associated with some nasty things so I had to get a fetal echocardiogram when I was pregnant because of it to check DS's heart. It can cause IUGR but did not at all in my case. All women that I have talked to that have had it went on to have a healthy baby, but I am not sure if it could be a factor in the PE--interesting!

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed Apr 11, 638936 6:40 am

I have heard of a significance just not sure where. I am sure Caryn will chime in!

angieb

2 vessel cord (single artery, SUA)

Postby angieb » Wed Apr 11, 638936 1:10 am

I just found out today, after getting my records, that Olivia's cord only had 2 vessels (it normally has 3, 2 arteries and 1 vein.) Is this fairly common in PE/HELLP pregnancies? Any significance whatsoever? I've read that it isn't really considered normal, so I'm pretty disappointed it was never even mentioned. But that's one of the many reasons my ob is now my ex-ob.

Edit: So I found out (via google) that it can be associated with growth restriction. And I'm starting to wonder if that could be our underlying cause that triggered my HELLP. (Because my ob's office is just flat out ridiculous, my MFM didn't have these records when I met with her at my pre-conception consult.) I also confirmed I was never diagnostic for PE at all, "atypical HELLP", the highest bp I found in all of my records was 128/89. (Not great but pretty typical for me.)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”