a little upset and need some support!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
glimmer

Re : a little upset and need some support!

Postby glimmer » Sun Jan 08, 638936 6:03 pm

Well about the BP - I understand that your BP goes up as you stand up.
I think that's normal. I don't think the bedrest can influence
whether or not your BP goes up given a position, if that makes sense.
I am still learning about BP, but I believe there are studies that say that for chronics, their might be merit in going onto bedrest, but not for people, that have heightened BP only durting pregnancy.
But - if you are happy on bedrest, you should stay on it by all means.
As for the protein. If they do 24h collections, it won't matter how much you drink, since they count the total protein. But for dipsticks your reasoning holds, the more you dilute the urine, the fewer +.

My protein increased from 280 to 400 in 4 months and then to 1000 in 5 days. So the increase might not be linear. But - while protein is an indicator, doctors normally don't decide for delivery based on the protein levels alone. Oh and here I read that your protein levels might be lower since you are on bedrest. But this is a side effect of gravity and not a sign that the disease progresses slower.

Good luck! I think the fact that you had two full term babies increases your chances that you will have another full term baby.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Sun Jan 08, 638936 3:43 pm

Thank you glimmer for your insight. :) I know that it can go from mild to sever really quickly and I know that they have just found it quicker and quicker in each pregnancy. but I have made it to full term with the first two and I know this pregnancy could be different and I know that I am an hour away from the best hospital for my baby if he does come early. I think I might just wait a few more weeks and get me a little farther and see what my protein does and then come up with a propsition for the dr. I dont mind driving an hour once a week or even twice a week. If I could just enjoy my own home again. :)

I am sure the reason they have me on bed rest is to keep my BP down. I know that when I am up it goes up. even sitting up with my feet hanging off the bed my BP will go up. But when I am laying down my BP is just perfect. almost better than my husbands. lol So I cant say I am arguing with the bed rest just the hospital stay. My protein has been going up since I have been here but I have even calculated that even if it went up 100 every week it would take me 40 more weeks to even get to 4,500! And I dont plan to be preg. that long. I am wondering though. if I drink more does that mean there is more protein in my urine vs when I drink normal? I know the first two jugs I filled, well I only had half jugs and it only went up 29 between the two. the last time I tried to drink more water so maybe I could water it down and had almost a full jug and it had went up 94. I am not sure if this is making since. I am not dehydrated I just dont drink alot. I just drink enough for "me".

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Jan 08, 638936 11:40 am

Hi - I am sorry to hear about your frustration.
It's interesting -- some women here have severe symptoms and are not closely monitored and wish they would/could be in hospital for their and their babies health and others have milder symptoms and are on bedrest in hospital.

I personally was in your shoes. I had mild preeclampsia
(turning severe during delivery) and went totally crazy with the what I perceived as too much care.
I think the doctors are taking your history into account and want to have a close look on you, which is very good. My symptoms at 28 weeks
were similar to yours and I was not hospitalized but went in for checks and labs and NSTs two times a week. After doing some research I refused to go to bedrest. I was very much stressed out about the close monitoring and my coping mechanism was to try and life a "normal life". In hindsight, I think that the preeclampsia messed up my stress hormones, because the amount of stress I was under seems in no relation to the what was being done.

Especially since you had two fullterm babies (?), it seems reasonable to me, that you ask for some time with the doctor you like best and discuss if hospital bedrest is really necessary while your symptoms are *mild* (look at the definition) and stable. I am no doctor and
my experience might be a little different from that of other posters on this forum, but I do understand that you are very stressed on bedrest.
There is even a study that says that the stress by being on bedrest is bad and that there is no reason to think that bedrest can change the outcome, so that this study does not recommend bedrest
for women with preeclampsia that have no underlying conditions. I brought that particular article to the doctor when I refused to go on bedrest. I am not saying by any means you should do the same, but to to make clear that my decision was an informed one and that this article might give you a basis to discuss your situation with the doctor.

Just to be clear - preeclampsia is very scary and it can turned bad very, very fast. But everybody has to find the right balance for her between medical care and sanity and has the right to make an informed decision. All the best for you.

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Wed Dec 28, 638935 9:23 am

at least they can monitor you closely while you are there- try not to go too stir crazy

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Wed Dec 28, 638935 6:12 am

I talked to the female main dr and she said she wanted me to get to 36 weeks and then do the amniotic fluid test and go from there. if I refuse the test then I have two wait till I am 38 weeks. But by then I might as well go two more weeks and skip the test! I mean I am so not crazy about that test and neither is my husband. But I am staying for the long haul!

patty

Postby patty » Fri Dec 16, 638935 12:13 pm

Hello and ((hugs)) I know hospital bedrest can be so hard and frustrating. I spent a month with my last baby and 3 weeks the baby before that. My guess is they are holding off on the steroids because they think you are stable enough at the moment to make it a few more weeks and the steroids are most effective if given closer to delivery and while some doctors will administer a second round of shots if time has passed some do not. We all hope you make it closer to full term but I would prepare for an earlier deliver. That they are monitoring you closely is a good sign that they are taking your care seriously. Protein can do funny things and just because it is only climbing a 100 points a week now does not mean that it can't make a big jump quickly. I know my doctors did not consider it that big a deal and didn't even test weekly when I was in the hospital. I went from being in the 500's at admission to 13,000 at delivery a month later. They were much more concerned that my bp's stayed at acceptable levels and that the baby did well on tests. Once my bp's went up and they could not get them down at 31 weeks I had to deliver. Good luck and hang in there. I know it is no fun especially with different doctors telling you different things (BTDT too) but try to look at it as every day you get now is equal to two or three less days in the NICU which sucks even worse than being on bed rest. Take care and keep us posted.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Fri Dec 16, 638935 12:08 pm

:) Thank you. and I forgot to mention. my BP the last two mornings it has been around 95/53ish this is like 4:30ish and 8:30ish and thenthe rest of the day it is like 130s/70 or 80s that is when I am sitting up and when I am laying down and they take it it is 120s /60 or 70s. I know my BP is doing really good compared to what it what before I got here but with it kicking so low the last two days I am not sure if I should worry or if that is a good thing and not stress. :) I know the lower the better but I dont think my BP has ever ever been that low. I know they dont worry to much until it is 140s/90s or higher but the back and fourth kinda has me worried.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Dec 16, 638935 11:55 am

Nope - it doesn't make sense to me either. I'd definitely ask what their plan is & why they don't think you need the shots now. And as far as I know u/s & sono are the same thing - just different terms.

suzieq8204

Postby suzieq8204 » Fri Dec 16, 638935 10:58 am

Okay ready to hear something crazy! I did know what u/s stood for. when I was laying down for bed last night I was thinking about it and it finally dawned on me. I felt so stupid. lol here they call it sono or sonograms. I am not sure the difference between the ultrasound and sonograms but whatever. :)

I am not sure the reason they are not giving me the shot unless they think I am going to go full term and if that is the case why wont they let me go home. The nurse that told me about the shot told me that they would be two shots and they are 24 hrs apart. I also got to thinking about what you said about if things go bad quickly they wont have time to give them to me. so if that is the case why dont they. I feel like there are some holes in this story and I am not sure how to fill them. I mean they think I am going full term but they wont let me go home because it might get bad yet they wont give me the shot because they think I am going home. Am I just over thinking this or does this make since to you too? I just feel like I get more out some of the nurses I see on a regular basis then I do out of the drs that I see for five mins. They seem more busy and dont have time. I miss my real dr from the begining. when I just had one dr and one person to see and he explained everything to me. Big hospitals are great but sometimes I feel like they are lacking the attention for thier patients because they have so many.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Dec 14, 638935 10:50 pm

U/S is an ultra sound - to check on baby's growth & fluid level. Sounds like if you know he's growing well then you've had some. Do they have a reason for not doing the shots? If they haven't said I would ask why. To be most effective they need to be administered at least 12-24 hours apart. And if things go bad quickly there wouldn't be time to do them.

If they aren't giving you the answers you need then don't be afraid to speak up & ask. You are your own best advocate & the only advocate for your baby. (((HUGS)))

Return to “Ask the Experienced”