New here--paranoia or reason to worry?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
katznkt

Re : New here--paranoia or reason to worry?

Postby katznkt » Sat Dec 03, 638935 5:44 pm

They probably call you chronic because your second pregnancy you had high bp before 20 weeks (that was the same with my second pregnancy- and my bp is perfect again after that birth as well).

Losing a baby is one of the hardest things you can do. I am sorry for your loss. You are right to be concerned, *especially* because you have a history of atypical presentation of symptoms. I wouldn't put a great store in your blood pressure, but keep an eye on your symptoms, labs, and protein. The symptoms might very well be because of the injections, but that doesn't mean you should be a hawk watching and letting the doctor know if things change, or how you feel.

jean

Postby jean » Wed Nov 23, 638935 5:11 am

Have you had bloodwork done recently? B/c of the nausea, vomiting, and headaches, I'd want to have that done.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Wed Nov 23, 638935 2:58 am

I am sorry you are having a tough time, especially considering your history. I am not sure what to say since you look like you tend to present atypically especially re: bp and protein. Bumping this up so one of the others that have experienced this can share their experience/thoughts.

jaime920

New here--paranoia or reason to worry?

Postby jaime920 » Sat Nov 12, 638935 7:56 pm

Hello, I'm Jaime. I'm currently expecting my fourth child, due 10.3.10, so I'm 26 almost 27 weeks right now. My first child was born at 36 1/2 weeks due to mild PE. I had typical onset at about 32 weeks, bedrest and finally an induction at 36w. My second pregnancy was crazy. My BP jumped really high at 14w, went on meds, jumped again at 23w, increased meds. At 30w, liver enzymes were high, bp was fine, no protein in my urine, doctors weren't sure what was going on. At 32w, I went into preterm labor, was admitted to the hospital and watched, and my liver enzymes continued to go up then my uric acid levels got high so I was induced and my DD was born at 33w exactly. My doctor called it "severe atypical" PE because my BP was not actually high until I was in labor. We had a surprise pregnancy with #3, which ended in a loss at 20w due to an incompetent cervix. Our second DD lived for two hours. No PE with that pregnancy, but it was still early.

This pregnancy has been an emotional roller coaster and I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if I should really be concerned right now. For the last week or so, I've just felt off. I've been having a lot of headaches off and on, swelling in my hands (and my DH said my face looks slightly swollen), some mild visual disturbances, nausea/vomiting, off and on pain in my mid upper abdomen, major swelling of my feet/calves (up to my knee), and some varying BPs. I had to go to L&D a few weeks ago and my BP was about 145/80. At one doctor visit, BP was 125/90. Otherwise it has been normal.

I went to the doctor today to get checked out because I was feeling really bad. BP was 126/82, no protein in the urine, and the doctor didn't seem at all concerned about the other symptoms. He said that most of the symptoms could be side effects of the 17p progesterone injections I'm getting for preterm labor.

At this point, I'm admittedly paranoid and neurotic. I'm terrified of losing another baby. I also don't want to get to the point that I was with my oldest DD because I was very sick before I had her and for a while after. My doctor says I have chronic HTN, but I've never needed medication or had high BP outside of pregnancy. I've been on Labetolol since 23 weeks when I had the high readings at L&D.

Sorry to write a book. Any input or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”