placenta pathology

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re : placenta pathology

Postby sam10 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 03:59 pm

So good to hear that Adam is finally home. Often I had thought of him, and wondered how he was doing.

Congratulations!

healinghands71

Postby healinghands71 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 03:17 am

hoping everyone is well!! my little fighter adam is 18 weeks today. last week he weighed in at 12 pounds. i can not believe when we came home at 10 weeks he was 7 and a half ... im so proud to be his mommy!!

i noticed jamies concern. i wonder how mine was so huge. a norm full term placenta is about 470 grams (1 pound) mine at 32 weeks was 690. i also learned at 32 weeks it should be about 300 range. so mine was doubled?? also in my paperwork was "no diastolic flow" adn the cord was around adams neck as well as a nice knot! so i just wonder myself. my paper work read "mild pre e VS super imposed" and of course my baby put on 3 pounds of fluid in 2 days and he was delivered due to HYDROPS so the pre eclampsia never went full blown on me. i am sure though, there is no way this placenta grew that large over night!! right?? he never sent me to the MFM as he said he would at 30 weeks so i wonder if i had gone wuold they have seen something with the placenta. 2 weeks later we had an emergent delivery!

im still trying to understand what happened with me. going from the nicu for 2 1/2 months to home .. i am so blessed and thankful. but i am still having so much trouble not being able to look at him and not want to cry for all he had to endure. when we got on bayflight for delivery adam was on deaths door. so i am more than thankful and so happy he is here. i just cant wait until i can put those memories to rest!! i did start counseling with a great therapist whos specialty is post traumatic stress and so i know that will help!

best wishes and happiness to all!!! kristin

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 05:16 pm

Sorry to miss your questions Julija...

PE is a chicken-and-egg scenario, honestly. There is something compromised about initial implantation which leads to shallow implantation, and this is often genetic. The maternal receptors cannot see some of the signals being sent by the implanting cells (which are paternal.)

I think of the size of the placenta as a bell curve, where some will just be smaller than average and some will just be bigger than average. It turns out that either one of those -- smaller or bigger than normal -- is associated with preeclampsia. It might be that having weird genes for growth rate is associated with weird genes for implantation somehow. We also know that placentas in PE pregnancies just grow funny when compared to the shape of a normal placenta, more oval and less round.

On top of that, one of the chemicals the placenta produces a lot of when symptoms hit binds to another chemical protein called Placental Growth Factor and keeps it from working. So placental size is compromised somewhat by the progression of the condition -- though if the placenta was big to begin with, you could still grow a large placenta even though PlGF wasn't present in high amounts at the end of pregnancy.

Delissa, yes -- placental abruptions could be both things. A shortage of oxygen to the placenta (because a lot of it has abrupted) probably turns up the production of the chemicals that also cause PE symptoms (caution, full-text paper!) And because the placenta is shallowly implanted and the maternal immune system is not working well with it, preeclamptic placentas are more prone to abrupt. The development of the placenta has gone wrong in a way that makes it more likely. Even women with beautifully controlled pressures are at much higher risk of abruption, which is one reason they watch all of us so closely.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Thu Jul 08, 2010 07:02 am

I talked to my Internist about my placental pathology report and he said I had infarcts and also some of the placenta had already tore off the wall. So can this be a indicator of pre-e? Can placental abruption cause/contribute to pre-e?

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 08:43 pm

Perhaps I am not quite understanding this, but I wonder. At the time the placenta implants, it is very small and grows until week 12, or did I get that wrong? So, if you end up with a small placenta, when does it stop growing or what determines the final size of it? Is it PE or does PE cause the small placenta?

jules2

Postby jules2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 am

Yes, they occur in normal pregnancies too. I think they just tend to occur slightly earlier / more often in PE pregnancies.

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 am

I thought that some infaracts were normal?

jenmatt1

Postby jenmatt1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 09:57 am

I had a circumvalle placenta - that was an unusual shape but I had a 8 lb 8 ounce preemie and no IUGR concerns. My placenta was not small just slightly irregularly shaped- but I knew that at about 20 weeks when they did an ultrasound.

As to getting in shape- I worked really hard at running last few months before I was pregnant this time and lost about 17 lbs. I am not sure it will help with the PE issues (since I was skinnier with the first pregnancy), but figured it will help with my stamina and fitness during the pregnancy. I have slowed down but at 12 weeks I am still running about 20 miles a week still. At the very least, it is very lethargic and relaxing to me and I think it helps me keep my stress level down.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 03:47 am

My placenta was in the 1st percentile - I'm amazed I even got to 26 weeks.

I was in excellent shape before that pregnancy - I'd been running half-marathons in 90 minutes. I really was very fit and strong. You are younger that me which might help, but there is no guarantee getting into shape would make any difference, sorry. I think this is just something we have no control over.

But it is great that your still not wonderful placenta lasted out a lot better the 2nd time.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Thu Jul 01, 2010 01:08 am

oh don't get my wrong.. no hurry to TTC here at all! Infarcts are areas of essentially dead tissue - usually caused by blood clots.

Julija, I think the small placenta is related to PE. Usually small placentas are indicitive of IUGR or at least placental insufficiency. I think once the placenta implants - if it is shallow and small - it will stay small throughout the pregnancy. I am pretty sure you can have a small placenta in one pregnancy and go on to have a perfectly normal pregnancy with an average placenta.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”