So many questions - postpartum

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alexa5

Re : So many questions - postpartum

Postby alexa5 » Mon May 31, 2010 06:36 am

Just seconding some of the others that it is strange he is putting you on that low of a calorie limit and prescribing so much exercise. Who exercises after every meal? :-)

Anyway sounds like you have a good sense of things and are taking care of yourself. I agree that some of the weight will just naturally come off, and what doesn't you can focus on over time. As for the bp, as you have read here it is fairly normal for many of us to be on meds for a little while but as said above it doesn't mean you will be on meds for life.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Sun May 30, 2010 09:22 pm

About the Fenugreek - I don't know what it does to your BP, but it can have some nasty/unpleasant intestinal side effects in many people. I didn't realize that it was the cause of my constant cramping for a while. Be careful with the stuff if you decide to take it. It can have some unintended side effects.

trulyamazed68

Postby trulyamazed68 » Sun May 30, 2010 04:29 pm

Thank you everyone - Procardia seems to be working. I am watching what I eat but not counting calories. I am losing weight actually at a faster rate than he asked. I have oversupply issues, funny huh? Little man eats every 1 1/2 to two hours so I am only exercising once a day. It's nice to be around ladies who understand.

Quick question about Fenugreek in case someone knows. I read that it lowers BP. I am obviously not using it because I have PLENTY of milk but I was wondering if it would be a problem on meds.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sun May 30, 2010 00:36 am

Hi there! I've been almost exactly where you are--though my last was my fourth! ANYWAY-- I think I can offer my opinion, which is really all any of us can do here, not being doctors and all -- per dietary needs of a nursing woman, if you do some web searches you will see that the standard recommendation for breastfeeding women is 500 calories more per day. If you were eating 2000 to 2200 per day (a pretty typical diet), then you'd need to get 2700 calories per day. Is your doctor recommending the lower caloric intake and increased activity because he is concerned about your weight contributing to your elevated blood pressure? My doctor told me that if I wanted to get off BP meds, I'd need to lose weight and exercise daily--which meant a diet of 1800 calories per day and an hour of aerobic activity daily. Anyway, my experience is MOST of the baby weight came off due to nursing and getting back to a normal routine and my BP was back to normal (FOR AWHILE) within a year. But, like most of us, I had that increased risk of cardiovascular disease and my BP went back up ten years later, despite the weight, diet, and exercise. Still--I try to do what the doctor tells me. I might call the nurse and ask her/him why he made those recommendations--just to get some clarity, and since you know they are unusual. :) (You might also ask specifically what he means by exercising. I mean--walking twenty minutes three times a day is very different--and not unreasonable--to an hour of aerobics three times a day.) Hang in there. I bet you will be feeling much better in no time but be nice to yourself and take care of yourself!! Best--Anne

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Sat May 29, 2010 03:02 pm

1800 cal is NOT enough while breastfeeding adn exercising 3-4 times a day is excessive especially if recovering from PE. You need to take it easy and give yourself time to recover. You also need to eat 3-4 healthy small meals and a few healthy nutritious snacks a day while breastfeeding or you'll undermine your supply. Breastfeeding for the first year is optimum for your baby and you get other benefits too (like reduced risk for breast cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc). You can always lose extra weight later. At this point - aim for a walk a day with the baby in the stroller and do what you can to keep nursing. Also, you're still in recovery, it may take a few months for your BP to stabilize. I was 150s/115 during delivery and 6 wks PP I was 130s/80s and 4 mos PP I was 120s/70s (pre-pregnancy BP). I didn't take meds at all.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Fri May 28, 2010 05:14 pm

I second the others I would get a second opinion possibly by a cardiologist. I think for certian things to show up in your urine PP can be normal up to 6 months PP. My urine did not normalize until 6 mo pp!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Fri May 28, 2010 05:09 pm

I would get a second opinion, honestly. 4 weeks postpartum tells you nothing about if you need to be on meds forever. It also sounds like he thinks that preeclampsia is caused by too many calories and too little exercise, which is simply not true.

It sounds like you are well aware that 1800 calories is a bad idea for breastfeeding, and that exercising 3+ times a day at 4 weeks postpartum is, well, crazy. Please get a second opinion before putting your milk supply in jeopardy.

beth0277

Postby beth0277 » Fri May 28, 2010 04:18 pm

I don't have an awful lot of experience but I can tell you that I am 7 weeks postpartum and am currently weaning myself off of my BP meds. I was never told that I would have to stay on them.

Best of luck for a very speedy recovery!

trulyamazed68

So many questions - postpartum

Postby trulyamazed68 » Fri May 28, 2010 04:01 pm

I'm 42 and just had my 5th (and last ) baby. He was born with a fairly low (5lbs 14 oz) weight at 37 weeks 2 days by scheduled c-section).He lost more than 10% of weight before we left hosital. My BP was fluctuating the two weeks before delivery with no protein in my urine. My Dr. did an amnio a week earlier to check lung matrity and we decided to wait. I was very swollen ( 10 lbs in 1 day and had an excruciating headache)At birth my placenta was very calcified. At my 1 week postpartum check my bp was 142/112 and he put me one Procardia XL 90mg. Said it is safe for beastfeeding. After one dose I was very sick (shaking, vomiting, drastic drop in milk supply, headache worsened) but my BP was down. He told me to stop and referred me to an internist. My BP was elevated but not dangerously the first time I saw him so we didn't do anything.The next week it was 147/110 so I am now on Procardia 30 XL. It took a week to go down but my BP was 100/59 last night ( inline withpre- preg BP) but back up to 132/87 today.
I like this Dr. but. . .
He said I will never come off of BP meds once on.
Wants me to consume 1800 cal or less a day while Breastfeeding.
Wants me to excercise after each meal 4 weeks postpartum.

My platelets are elevated and I have leukocytes in my urine. I am still having postpartum bleeding.

I just want to do what is best for my baby and I. BTW - He was up three lbs at 4 week check :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”