What happens if you start preterm labor?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
thirdtimesthecharm

Re : What happens if you start preterm labor?

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Mon May 17, 2010 09:18 pm

I went into labor at 36w3d and they sent me over to the hospital for a c-section a few hours after the first contractions started. I was scheduled for a c-section at 39 weeks but the doc had already told me he would be very surprised had I made it that far.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon May 17, 2010 09:14 pm

I had PTL with my 1st right at 31 weeks & had several shots of terbutaline through an IV to stop labor. It worked & ended up being induced for PE at 37 weeks.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon May 17, 2010 08:01 pm

If you are too early to deliver they can give you medication either by pill or i.v. to try to stop contractions. If they cannot be stopped or if you go into labor close to your scheduled c-section then your doctor can do your c-section at that time. Hospitals move scheduled surgeries if necessary to accomodate you if needed.

jean

What happens if you start preterm labor?

Postby jean » Mon May 17, 2010 07:04 pm

What happens if you start going into preterm labor, but you had planned on a C-section? For example, my dr said we could try again in 9 mos, but that we'd probably have to have a C-section...(to avoid uterine rupture I imagine..) so what can doctors do if you go into preterm labor? I was having contractions at 28 weeks with my last pregnancy, so I wonder/worry a little about this.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”