Intense Itching sign of PE???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
stargazer

Re : Intense Itching sign of PE???

Postby stargazer » Tue May 11, 2010 03:26 am

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that responded to my question. You were all right it is cholestasis tests came back today so I am seeing my OB tomorrow and he mentioned something about starting medication to try and control it. The itching is so intense now and I can not sleep at all. I have resorted to using sleeping tablets the last couple of nights but I am still scratching constantly and have ripped my skin apart. My OB wants me to have bloods taken twice a week now to monitor things as I am also dipping 2+ bilirubin in my urine so keeping a close eye on my liver function. My labetalol has just been increased also as my BP is 150/100 to 150/105 most days now. Just need bub to stay in there as long as possible. Thanks again everyone.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue May 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I too am betting on cholestasis. Keep us posted -- that's miserable stuff.

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Mon May 03, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks for your answers. I have never heard of cholestasis before so I will mention it to my OB. Thanks for the link kqkitty I had bloods done 2wks ago and everything was ok then. I am due to have my next lot of blood tests this week my MFM is having me do them every 2wks at this stage to see if anything changes. I just want the itching to stop I am not going to have any skin left soon it reminds me of chicken pox but without the spots. Hopefully I get some answers soon.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Mon May 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Kitty! Yes cholestasis is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Star Gazer I would ask your doc about that.

kqkitty

Postby kqkitty » Mon May 03, 2010 09:29 pm

It could be nothing, but it could be this:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregna ... nancy.html

Has your OB done any blood work recently?

thirdtimesthecharm

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Mon May 03, 2010 07:41 pm

My swelling always made my hands and feet feel itchy. I don't know about itching all over though. I think it can have something to do with the liver.

stargazer

Intense Itching sign of PE???

Postby stargazer » Mon May 03, 2010 04:24 pm

I posted a while ago about being concerned about OB and the way he seemed to disregard things and my previous history. This is pregnancy number 4 I have developed PE in all of my previous pregnancies and for some reason it gets worse each time. Last pregnancy I developed Eclampsia suffered a seizure bp was 180/124 losing 5grams of protein a day and was max labetalol 1200mg a day and another bp medication put on Mag drip and delivered at 34wks. I am now 21wks losing over 2grams of protein a day started at 0.12 at 7wks by 11wks it was 1.3 and just finished another 24hr and it was 2.1 at 20wks. My MFM started me on labetalol at 12wks as a precaution my BP was 140/80 at the time my pre-pregnancy bp is normally around 120/70. Bp is not to bad I have started to see it creep in the last week the highest last week was 150/98.

Also over the last week I have had intensely itchy feet and palms and now my back is driving me insane I spend most nights awake and scratching trying to find a way to relieve the itch. It is not to bad of a day I itch a bit but no where near as bad as a night time. I am wondering if the itch has anything to do with my increasing BP and protein levels. I have never had this in any of my previous pregnancies. Does anyone know if this could be a sign that PE may hit again. I am getting very nervous. Thanks

Return to “Ask the Experienced”