meds and breast feeding?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
katznkt

Re : meds and breast feeding?

Postby katznkt » Sat Jul 23, 638929 1:42 pm

I breastfed both my kids with 48 hours of mag sulfate. And was breastfeeding my first while on a low dose of labetalol. I never had any real negative side effect. My second (had some breathing issues for the first 4 hours because of the Magnesium Sulf I received while in labor. Both babies were really really fussy for the first 48 hours, but I am not sure how much of that was medicine related and how much was just new baby fussiness.

patty

Postby patty » Wed Jul 20, 638929 11:48 pm

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-app ... html#Heart

Here is the link from Kellymom that lists the bp drugs that are safe for breastfeeding. As others have said many doctors and nurses do not have very good training on lactation and can give some bad advice. When I had Randall the postpartum nurse tried to tell me to pump and dump because of the mag sulfate and I told her hey this is my 4th time and I've never heard that before so she went to check and guess what I was right and she worked on the anti-partum ward where all the woman on mag get sent. So it is really better to be educated beforehand. You can also e-mail me if you need any help or have questions. I have nursed all 5 of my kids for 2+ years.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Jul 11, 638929 12:06 pm

Within a couple hours of delivering, a pump was brought into my room to use right away to start pumping for my son in the NICU....I was still on magnesium, labetalol, occasional hydralazine, and they must have thought it was fine since they were on my case about pumping all of the time.

Once out of the hospital I was on labetalol and HCTZ which were both considered fine by my doctor to use while breastfeeding...I had no issues with any of my meds or supply.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Jul 11, 638929 4:42 am

kellymom.com is a wonderful website, on the left side you can find a menu and search for meds safe while breastfeeding. See if this helps!

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sun Jul 10, 638929 8:26 am

Thanks ladies. I'm going to email a lactation consultant next week to get her thoughts and I'll talk to my peri & OB when I see them. Based on what I've read it looks like Labetalol is safe, but I want to double check. I'll also check with the pediatrician before actually breastfeeding, too. The one I selected is also a lactation consultant for her practice, so hopefully she will know.

Also, thanks for the links and book references. I'll definitely look into those.

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Sat Jul 09, 638929 10:20 am

I remember the lactation consultants coming up to my bed while I was in ICU getting me to start pumping (at this point I hadnt even met my son). I thought they must be out of their (bleeping) mind but they helped me set it up since I could barely move with all the IVs. I barely got any milk for awhile -- and they lost my colostrum somewhere in transit but my son was too sick to be fed anyway. Anyway had those lactation consultants not come in to help me I doubt I wouldve been able to get things started later. I never had a great supply due to the pre-e/HELLP but was able to pump enough for what he needed and half pump/half breastfeed for a year. Yes they were fine with the mag being in the breastmilk (I was not on any hypertension meds though so cant answer that).
Good luck and hoping you (and I) wont even have to worry about the mag!

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Sat Jul 09, 638929 8:37 am

I pump for my son since he was born. I am on Procardia and now Hydrochlorothiazide along with many other meds - the lactation consultant and pediatriction told me they were fine to use and both looked in Dr. Hale's book!

I do have a reduced volume though and struggle to pump 15-20 ounces a day due to the diuretic properties of the HCTZ - hopefully I will be stopping that soon, i was put on PP due to way high pressures.

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Sat Jul 09, 638929 7:15 am

Honeslty...I was so out of it..I can't remember when I first pumped....I can tell you which room I was in lol...but I couldn't tell you on what day after delivery it was...good question! I know while on blood pressure meds...not sure what they were now (I just took them after delivery..about two weeks) I still pumped and it was fine...but definitly always check with your doctors!!!

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Sat Jul 09, 638929 7:14 am

Honeslty...I was so out of it..I can't remember when I first pumped....I can tell you which room I was in lol...but I couldn't tell you on what day after delivery it was...good question! I know while on blood pressure meds...not sure what they were now (I just took them after delivery..about two weeks) I still pumped and it was fine...but definitly always check with your doctors!!!

erinmjl

Postby erinmjl » Fri Apr 11, 638927 6:22 pm

I pumped for a 32-weeker while on mag and labetalol. I guess I didn't really look into it, because no one ever suggested it was a problem at the time.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”