Anyone went straight to HELLP then developed pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
km1317

Re : Anyone went straight to HELLP then developed pre-e

Postby km1317 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am

I am unsure which came first, because my case went undetected. I had had swelling, headaches, and visual disturbances since about 30 weeks but they were just pushed off as "normal" pregnancy symptoms. At 36 weeks i went to L&D b/c no baby movement, they checked her and all was OK, the had me give a urine sample but they just threw it away (i wonder if they would have checked it then if they would have caught it sooner?) The day i "turned" 38 weeks i was fine in the morning...as the day progressed i just started to feel worse and worse. Long story short I went to L&D at 9pm (even though the nurse told me to stay home). They did a bunch of test and by 11:47 my daughter was born via c-section. She was healthy, but small (4.5lbs). I was in sooo much pain i really do not remember anything they told me:( After looking at my records i was diagnosed with HELLP and Severe-Preeclampsia, not sure which came first though!?!?

lilysmommymindy

Postby lilysmommymindy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 03:41 pm

I went into the hospital for severe "chest pains", which felt like someone bear-hugging my ribcage and not letting up. When I got to the hospital they took my blood pressure and it was 197-120, which only went up even on mag. They took my blood and when the labs came back I was diagnosed with HELLP. Looking back I probably had signs of PE before I went into HELLP but chopped them up to "normal" pregnancy symptoms. So I guess you could say I went straight into HELLP, but I can't really say for sure.

jenprzygoda

Postby jenprzygoda » Mon Apr 19, 2010 09:06 pm

No PE for me, just from fine one day to class 1 HELLP 24 hours later.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Mon Apr 19, 2010 03:09 pm

jean....I did the same. I had a ton of swelling but I had the URQ pain before I spilled urine and had the high BP. Now that I have looked over all of my medical records, that is what I come to a conclusion on.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am

I went straight to HELLP. They diagnosed me with severe pre-eclampsia because of it, but I never had a BP much above 130/85 (compared to 90/60) or a 24 hour urine. If I had both, I had them simultaneously.

jean

Postby jean » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 am

I went straight to HELLP...then had swelling in my feet after the C-sec, so maybe then I developed pre-e?

jules2

Postby jules2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 07:57 am

I went the other way around; very severe PE (incl pulmonary oedema, BP 230/110) before delivery; 3 days after delivery I had class I HELLP, platelets around 35, can't remember all the other bits off hand but severe on every marker. For those days in between I started to feel a bit better, some of the swelling went down (but my kidney function remained totally "off").

atvlady

Anyone went straight to HELLP then developed pre-e

Postby atvlady » Mon Apr 19, 2010 07:49 am

What was your experience and the interval between each?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”