Don't know what to think

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Don't know what to think

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 am

The NICU is very hard because no one can tell you that it is all going to be okay. :(

Keep us posted -- a lot of us have been in a similar boat and will be worrying about your wife and your son! How is her blood pressure? How is he doing today?

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Mon Apr 19, 2010 08:34 am

Life in the NICU tends to be a rollercoaster, I wish that I could say that it was not. My best advice is not to be shy, he is your child, even though he is being cared for by others, ask questions, lots of questions, about everything. Spend as much time as you can there, but make sure you get some rest. 24 weeks is early, but it sounds as though he is doing well. My 25 weeker, unfortunately passed away four days after he was born, but he was much smaller than your Luke, less than a pound. I am lucky enough to have two other children, a 33 weeker and 35 weeker, who both spent time in the NICU. Make friends with the nurses! This is a great place to find info and support. I'll be sending good thoughts to you and your family.

angelr

Postby angelr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 08:30 am

Hello, I am sorry for what you are going through. It is a scary time, my husband and I have both been there. Our baby was in the NICU for a month. the NICU experience is a roller coaster ride that you must take one day at a time. Just be with your beautiful baby as much as you can, believe me, he knows you are there and feels the love and strength you have for him.You have to keep walking forward through this and the only thing I can say is one day at a time. There will be ups and downs and i wish you strength and hope.

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Mon Apr 19, 2010 01:02 am

I too wish you the best of luck during this scary time.

I have no experience with your situation - my first son needed to be born at 22 weeks and did not survive his birth. Having no brain bleeds and doing so well for 9 days is awesome - what a strong little boy you have.He is good size for being 24 weeks as well. The NICU is tough - I have heard it described as one step forward and two steps back.

I wish you and your wife and Luke well. Please keep us posted.

montgjules

Postby montgjules » Mon Apr 19, 2010 00:40 am

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck. What a scary situation.

lukesdaddy

Don't know what to think

Postby lukesdaddy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 00:31 am

Okay, so my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on April 10th at 12:56am, weighing 1 lb and 7oz. The only thing is that she was 24 weeks and 5 days pregnant, with preeclampsia. The preeclampsia came on so quickly and her blood pressure rose so high that they had no option than to do an emergency c-section.

So many worries are racing in my mind right now about my little boy, Luke. The first is, is he going to survive? He has been in a NICU for a week and 2 days and I know for a preemie that is a good start. The nurses and doctors say that he is going through many of the common dips in blood pressure, heart rate and breathing. He has been hooked up to an oscillator for about 5 days now and for a short period before that was a ventilator, which I understand that he will be on and off different machines from time to time. He has no bleeding on the brain, an infection was found in his blood but was treated and cleared up, and his P.D.A. vessel closed up on its own.

My concern with some of the ups and downs is that I am waiting for something bad to happen. To get one of those phone calls in the middle of the night with terrible news. Overall I just don't know what to think and am so confused with everything. I want to think positively but am still bounded by fear that my wife and I will lose the most special person in our lives.

Does anyone have any stories about their same situation, good or bad? Is there anyway to know early that he will not make it?

Thank you,
Patrick

P.S.- Sorry for any errors. It's Late:)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”