I'm new---On salt restriction...help!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
thirdtimesthecharm

Re : I'm new---On salt restriction...help!!

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Thu Oct 31, 638926 9:15 am

I don't know.

My OB told me to salt to taste and avoid fast food junk but to NOT cut out salt during pregnancy.

I would follow the advice of your doctor though...

muddmomma2

I'm new---On salt restriction...help!!

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Oct 31, 638926 5:53 am

Hi, I am new to the site! LOVE it though! My back ground...I was diagnoised with sever Pre-e at 29 weeks + 1 day and delivered at 29 weeks +3 days! It was a very sudden onset, mainly because I wasn't aware of the symptoms at the time (but you can believe I am now!) My son is now 2 and wonderfully healthy! He has done great, despite his permaturity! We are now pregnant for the second time! I am currently 27 weeks today--yay! :) My blood pressure statred to elevate a little around 22 1/2 weeks :( 130/85ish maybe slightly higher. I was told to rest as much as possible and NO salt, so I have cut out salt almost completely. I eat foods that are soduim free or at least very low. I have taken this very seriously---I have even limited all foods with sodium including milk, and breads because they sodium...but I take a calcium supplement and try to eat grains in other ways...I am still eating very healthy...lots off fresh or frozen fruits and veggies...and everything prepared wiht NO salt---this HAS been working really well for me! My blood pressure has been wonderful since I have been resting and eating No salt--or at least a very little---it has been almost 5 weeks :) I have had ONE bp spike since...but I had been up doing a little more than I had been and ate a little more salt than I had been!

My question is has anyone also been on a salt restricted deit while pregnant and done okay...I have read SO MANY post saying salt restriction during pregnancy is horrible! I am a little worried that it could cause me problems, but so far it has seemed to be working great! Both my regualr OB and MFM recommended I do this!

I forgot to mention that I also had trace amounts of protien showing at 22 weeks, but since resting and No salt...I have NONE showing!

I would really love to hear from someone who HAS had a good experience from a similiar situation with no salt and had no other problems as a result! Thank you all in advance!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”