I'm new---On salt restriction...help!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
milesymommy

Re : I'm new---On salt restriction...help!!

Postby milesymommy » Sun Feb 23, 638927 7:07 am

I was never put on a salt restricted diet, but my family has a history of high BP and my dad has been on a salt restricted diet since I was 2. So I try to watch my sodium intake, since I have a family history.
I am a big fan of salt restriction (most people get two to three times their RDA every day!!!), but I would also caution that baby needs some sodium in his diet too, so make sure you are getting a minimal amount.
ps - Amy's makes a low sodium line of frozen foods that I love :)

marialynn242

Postby marialynn242 » Wed Feb 12, 638927 1:18 am

how much salt did the doctor tell you was a healthy intake

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Dec 05, 638926 8:38 am

Well, I am back from my MFM appointment and baby Alaina is growing wonderfully :) She has already passed my son's birth weight and we are only 27 weeks + 3 days--wow, still hard to believe!!! She weighed 2 lbs. 8 oz. and he weighed 2 lbs. 7 oz. when he was born at 29 Weeks! EVERYTHING looked great! I did have trace amounts of protien showing, but just bearly! BP reading was good! I asked about the sodium again and she said she was pretty sure I was getting enough and to keep doing what I am doing. We have to realize that there is salt in almost everything. So by the time I add up everything I eat in a day I should be getting plenty, and an amount that seems to work well with my body!

I count the soduim in EVERYTHING from bread, milk, eggs, to fresh meats---so in the end I am still getting a fair amount! For example, if I were to have toast with breakfast, a sandwhich with lunch, and a dinner roll at supper--that is already roughly 600 mgs of salt in bread alone :(

I have also cut out all condements (except for soduim free ketchep), cheese, all processed foods, and any thing else with excess salt!!!----this has been working wonderfully for me!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 04, 638926 12:50 pm

Here's what our Experts have said about low-salt diets (very little):

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17822
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20261
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1826

It's my understanding that the big studies have shown no effect from salt restriction, but that some chronic hypertensives are known to be salt-sensitive and will usually continue those dietary restrictions in pregnancy. When I was ill no one suggested restricting my sodium intake, for what that's worth!

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Mon Nov 11, 638926 10:27 pm

I also wanted to add just for clarification purposes that my blood pressure has been wonderful up until about 22 1/2 weeks...so I do not think I am considered chronic...ohh myy..who knows!!!!

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Mon Nov 11, 638926 10:24 pm

so weird...even when I was in the hospital with pre-e and extremely high blood pressure I was on a no sodium liquid deit....I was on liquids I guess, because they assumed they would deliver me soon. Maybe hospitals and doctors differ of course, but I wouldn't think they would differ that much---something to ponder about I guess---thanks for everones replies!!! :)

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Thu Oct 31, 638926 11:15 pm

quote:Originally posted by patty

Not heard that before, I know salt is an issue for some chronic hypertensives, not sure that it helps with pre-e though. I know even when I was hospitalized with severe pre-e I was on a regular diet not a low sodium one.

Same here - I was in the hospital with pre-e for 3 weeks and was allowed an unrestricted diet.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Oct 31, 638926 9:00 pm

Not heard that before, I know salt is an issue for some chronic hypertensives, not sure that it helps with pre-e though. I know even when I was hospitalized with severe pre-e I was on a regular diet not a low sodium one.

montgjules

Postby montgjules » Thu Oct 31, 638926 4:41 pm

I offered with my OB and he said, "Nah.. doesn't matter that much." Ha ha... so I just eat normally. :) I was a bit surprised by his reply.

muddmomma2

Postby muddmomma2 » Thu Oct 31, 638926 12:20 pm

Thanks, I have a MFM appointment on Monday so hopefully I can clarify things--- I guess I haven't completely cut it out, but it is pretty close. I was curiious as to what others were told and would love some thoughts from those who have had similiar experiences--- So Thanks Again!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”