Any news from ILoveSweetpea?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
workingon7

Re : Any news from ILoveSweetpea?

Postby workingon7 » Sat Feb 01, 638927 1:30 pm

Congratulations, she's perfect! :)

veronica44

Postby veronica44 » Sun Nov 10, 638926 9:10 pm

Yay! Congratulations on baby Ava's arrival! She is beautiful!

I had a lot of breastfeeding issues, and supplementing with formula by bottle from the beginning led to a downward spiral of less and less supply until it dried up completely by 3 months after I had returned to work. So I highly recommend you supplement with a finger feeder, supplementary nursing system, or at least with a bottle with a low-flow nipple (more compatible with breastfeeding and less likely to cause nipple confusion). When I nursed, I am sure I had plenty of milk at the beginning - I didn't have a pump then but I got a lot of engorgement and leaking so I know there was plenty. But my daughter (her name is Ava also :) never seemed to empty me out. She had jaundice also and was small. I'd recommend a "triple feed" system for someone in that situation. First you nurse, then you give baby a supplement in a breastfeeding-compatible device, finally you pump any excess remaining in you and save it for the next supplement. Hopefully the little one gets stronger at sucking and after a couple of weeks you can start gradually weaning from supplement. This site: http://www.breastfeeding.org/newsletter/v4i1/page1.html, its forums, and kellymom.com have tons of info. Best of luck!

cucocab

Postby cucocab » Sun Oct 20, 638926 3:46 am

Congrats! This is my first time on since delivering on April 2nd. Glad to hear you and Ava are doing well!

hillary8l8

Postby hillary8l8 » Tue Oct 08, 638926 4:45 pm

Congratulations!!! I haven't been on in a couple weeks because I've been so busy..but I had to come back to see how things went for you. I'm so happy everything went well and she is soooo beautiful! I had to start supplementing with formula too, and I felt bad at first, but Abby is so much happier now that she gets both. She's gaining weight like crazy too. She gained 9 oz in one week and was up to 5 lbs 6 oz at her last appointment.

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Fri Sep 27, 638926 11:42 am

Congrats on your precious baby girl! What a doll! Glad Mama and baby are doing so well. My first son was born 4/3/06 (yeah! they share the same b-day) had jaundice and I exclusively breastfed. He lost a pound and then gained it back quickly. Hopefully she will too :-) Great happy ending!!! Enjoy!!

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Fri Sep 27, 638926 11:32 am

Congratulations! Woo hoo to no HELLP!

pennyg

Postby pennyg » Fri Sep 27, 638926 10:50 am

Congratulations!!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Sep 26, 638926 4:27 pm

Glad you are both doing so well!! She is beautiful!!

I second Patty in saying you probably don't need to supplement with formula. In the hospital under the bili lights & then on the bili bed at home for 2 days we had to feed Ali 30-40 cc's every 2 hours & we used formula sometimes because the Dr said to. But a nurse in the hospital told us that if/when I could pump we could use BM as long as we gave the measured amount on schedule. And Ali was 5 lbs 9 oz to start & dropped to 5 lbs even at discharge. But after that first week of supplementing we were able to get back to exclusive BF just fine. I bet you will be able to too!

thirdtimesthecharm

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Thu Sep 26, 638926 4:22 pm

Congratulations! She is adorable! So much hair!

jend01

Postby jend01 » Thu Sep 26, 638926 10:52 am

Congratulations, I was glad to hear everything was going well. She is adorable!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”