Atenolol anyone? Kinda freaking out..

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Atenolol anyone? Kinda freaking out..

Postby caryn » Sat Sep 14, 638926 2:35 pm

A lot of our posters have also breastfed on atenolol, FWIW. Let us know how your appointment goes!

ashesashie

Postby ashesashie » Tue Sep 03, 638926 12:01 pm

Rosalinda. Thanks for checking in on me, I put an edit on the first post telling more. After that I didn't wind up taking a second dose until Sunday morning because it stayed down for that long (the first dose was Friday night). I only took 50 mg Sunday morning. I will not take more until my bp starts rising again. I see the doc tomorrow. Also, after doing some reading I am gonna ask my doc to switch me to one of the three beta blockers that are approved for breastfeeding by the american academy of pediatrics: labelatol, metaprolol, and propranolol. It would make me feel a whole lot better to only have to worry about its effect on me and not baby too.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Tue Sep 03, 638926 1:02 am

Just wanted to see how it was going with your Atenolol? Did you take the 100mg?

ashesashie

Postby ashesashie » Sun Aug 11, 638926 8:34 pm

I called and asked, the office says the doc does indeed want me on that dose....the only thing I can figure is that I read it can be used to treat angina also..I told the doc about chest pain today so maybe that is the reason for a high dose?? How long does it take for meds to reach their maximum effectivness? I want to know when to watch for my bp going too low...

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Sun Aug 11, 638926 8:22 pm

Certainly call your doc, you know they arent perfect and typos happen.

Im on 25mg once a day

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Sun Aug 11, 638926 2:20 pm

wow 100mg twice a day...that is indeed a high dose (according to me). I'm on 12.5mg once a day now. But my pre-pregnancy hypertension was well controlled on only 25mg.

I would suggest you talk to your doctor about starting on 25mg, and adding more if you do need it. with a bp of 154/96, it doesn't seem to me like you would need a lot to control it (in my non MD opinion).

As far as I know Atenolol is safe for breastfeeding, but may cause some bradycardia in the baby....so that is why I would suggest starting with a lower dose.

Good luck, and I hope you get this straightened out soon.

ashesashie

Atenolol anyone? Kinda freaking out..

Postby ashesashie » Sun Aug 11, 638926 11:42 am

So, as I recently posted, I had my baby boy on March 29th. At my post op check up today my BP was still high (154/96). My doc put me on 100 mg Atenolol twice a day. The pharmacist said this was a high dose. Anyone else put on a dose like this? Should I be concerned about breastfeeding at this dose?

Edit: I took my first dose of 100 mg last night, my blood pressure got down to 105/65 and my heartrate 61 (it was running in the 120s) Also I was SOOOOO tired all day. This scared me and I decided not to take the second dose this morning. My bp has stayed down all day long, the highest it has gotten is 130/70. I am thinking of taking only 50 mg tonight. Any thoughts ladies. I for sure will be discussing this with my doc on monday, but until then I am kinda at a loss. What do you think?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”