Pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
debdunn7

Re : Pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome

Postby debdunn7 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 09:15 am

Hello Ladies,
Thank you so much for all the good wishes and info on websites that I can check out. Daughter, Jessica, is doing a little better each day -- is home now from the hospital and had some labs drawn so we should find out results by Monday. Granddaughter, Gianna, was a healthy, happy 8 lb. 1 oz. baby so thankfully she was term and is doing well.
Again thanks for the wealth of information and I will be checking the site periodically.
My best to you all,
Debbie

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Wed Mar 31, 2010 08:57 am

Hi and welcome. I too had PIH, pre-e and HELLP. I have pasted some articles that I frequent and have found to be some of the most informative.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990901ap/829.html
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/1215/p2317.html

Hope these help. I hope your daughter gets better.

montgjules

Postby montgjules » Tue Mar 30, 2010 09:27 pm

Debbie,

Congratulations on a new grandbaby! There are fabulous websites with information about pre-eclampsia and HELLP if you google those terms. They state things much better than I ever could so I won't try. :) Some that I trust include the NIH medline, Mayo Clinic and this site right here. As an RN, I'm sure you'll be able to figure things out very quickly. Get informed and good luck with the recovery period. I hope it all goes smoothly from here!

Juliana

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 04:33 pm

Debbie, welcome to the forums.

The best shortcut to an overview is in my .sig file -- the New Yorker article.

Basically the thinking on hypertensive pregnancy (which includes HELLP) is that something is dysregulated during initial implantation of the placenta which causes symptoms later in pregnancy. Delivery is the only real treatment because the foreign placenta must be removed to stop the maternal immune responses.

How is your daughter doing today?

debdunn7

Pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome

Postby debdunn7 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 09:46 am

Hi All,
My daughter had her first baby on Tuesday and developed all the above -- she is stil in hospital due to hgb dropping after receiving 2 units of blood 2 nights ago. I would appreciate any information about HELLP since it is new to be. I'm an RN but not a OB nurse or Dr. God bless you all,
Debbie

Return to “Ask the Experienced”