me again :) update and question :) BP meds

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
patty

Re : me again :) update and question :) BP meds

Postby patty » Tue Feb 08, 638924 9:41 am

the Labetalol is safe :) Here is a link that show which bp meds are okay for breastfeeding incase you have to switch to something else(I had to change 3 or 4 times postpartum to find one that worked for me). Good Luck with the breastfeeding. If you have any questions or problems feel free to email me. http://kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-app ... html#Heart

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 08, 638924 7:02 am

I haven't had a chance to read all the responses - so sorry if this is redundant!

I'm so glad to see your update. I hope you get to hold you beautiful baby soon - I know you must just ache for that. Glad that Adam is doing so well - it is truly amazing how far he has come!

I was on methlydopa the entire 13 months I was breastfeeding. I've never specifically heard this drug dries up milk, but I did have supply problems the entire time I was breastfeeding. I tried EVERYTHING under the sun (including meds - Reglan - and breastfeeding every other hour for weeks on end)to get my supply up. Unfortunately, we had to supplement with formula the entire time, basically from day one. *sigh* But it was well worth it for whatever breastmilk he did get, and I really enjoyed the breastfeeding relationship.

My doctor's seemed to totally drop the ball postpartum as well. I had severe bleeding that required several transfusions and HELLP syndrome... and yet they sent me home from the hospital (extended stay, but still) with instructions to come and see them in 6 WEEKS for the standard post-partum visit. I think so many OBs have the mindset that once you deliver, you aren't their concern anymore - and delivery cures everything. :( I'm glad you went to the cardiologist and you are getting some decent follow-up care.

I've never tried this - but I wonder if Le Leche League would have any information on what drugs as good for high blood pressure and nursing? Just a thought...

Thanks for keeping us posted! I hope your bps improve soon!

cucocab

Postby cucocab » Tue Feb 08, 638924 4:07 am

I am not familiar with those meds and breastmilk... but I do know that if it does happen to cause you to dry up, they do have meds that you can take to help produce more milk. They ususaly give it to mothers who are adopting and want to breastfeed, it will help them create milk. I took it with my first because I had a problem with producing enough milk and it worked well. I am sorry, but I don't remember the name of it but it did start with an R.
Good luck and I am glad things are going well for you and Adam. I am glad someone listened to you and you are getting the meds and some test work done as well!

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Tue Feb 08, 638924 4:05 am

Every day I am thinking of Adam and am so happy to hear he is doing so great.

When Henry was in the NICU I pumped milk and the nurses in the NICU froze it for future use. They sometimes thawed one bottle and dipped a q-tip in the breast milk, which I "fed" to Henry. Not sure if your NICU does the same, but you can ask. It gave me a feeling of feeding my baby and doing something motherly!.

I was on labetalol, nifedapine and so many other medications while pumping milk. I asked the nurses and doctors at the NICU who said it was fine and reminded me that Henry himself was on so many medications. I provided a list with everything I was taking.

I'd ask the NICU nurses and doctors, who care for Adam. I am sure they will have some advice.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue Feb 08, 638924 2:16 am

I was on labetalol and hctz for months postpartum, and both are safe for breastfeeding. I had no issues with milk supply--it wasn't impacted by the meds. My OB who is also my GP prescribed them and followed me postpartum.

My baby was also a preemie...in the NICU for 3 weeks, so I had to pump along with breastfeeding.

healinghands71

Postby healinghands71 » Mon Feb 07, 638924 6:02 am

THANKS ROSALINDA!! I THOUGHT OF THAT, BUT I ALSO THOUGHT ABOUT ALL THE WONDERFUL GIRLS HERE :) AND ALL THE WONDERFUL HELPA ND INFO I HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN HERE.. I TRUST EVERYONE HERE :) I WILL CHECK THOUGH, THAT IS A GOOD IDEA...I KNOW THEY ARE BUSY , I WILL HAVE TO "FIND " SOMEONE TO ANSWER THE QUESTION.. I AM WORRIED, ESPECIALLY WITH ADAM SO EARLY AS A PREEMIE, PLUS WITH THE WHOLE HYDROPS THING HE IS FIGHTING!! HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU!@! KEEPING YOU IN PRAYERS :)

quote:Originally posted by rosalinda

Forgot to add that you can call your local hospital and ask to speak to a lactation consultant...they have access to a reference book which lists medications and their safety while breastfeeding. Good luck.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Mon Feb 07, 638924 3:47 am

Forgot to add that you can call your local hospital and ask to speak to a lactation consultant...they have access to a reference book which lists medications and their safety while breastfeeding. Good luck.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Mon Feb 07, 638924 3:45 am

I have read that Nifedipine is safe while breastfeeding.. I have yet to be in a breastfeeding/pumping situation, and I am currently taking Atenolol which I have also read is considered safe.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Jan 17, 638924 3:20 pm

Hooray for Adam!! He is such a tough little guy. I hope you are feeling better soon too.

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Mon Jan 17, 638924 2:05 pm

I love seeing this update! I am so happy that your little Adam is continuing to fight and get better and better. I have been praying and praying for you all. I do not blame you for not seeing your doctor again, and that sucks. It sucks to know or feel that a doctor doesn't care, especially when he/she delivered your others.

As far as the cardiologist, you can ask them what they recommend. My cardio checked my thyroid post partum. I also saw a general practitioner who is also an internist and she has done bloodwork on me several times since I had my baby in August 2009, to check my kidney and liver function and to see how my body has been healing. It took 6 months, but finally all my bloodwork is back to normal. She also did a 24 hour urine at 8 weeks pp.

I take 20 mg of Benicar for my bp that hasn't returned to normal. I had an echocardiogram done when I was in ICU with pp PE and my cardio has done two EKG's in the last 6 months, but now I will not see him for a year, unless I need to.

I have debated on having underlying condition testing, but I had a tubal and will not be having any more children, so I am not going to test any further now. Just my own personal decision.

I will continue praying for your sweet baby and for your family. Take care of yourself :-)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”