Mental fog

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
katznkt

Re : Mental fog

Postby katznkt » Wed Jan 05, 638924 12:46 am

Well, right before I was placed on bed rest I was seeing spots, would lose focus- couldn't get a sentence out and would walk down the hallway completely outside of myself. Weirdest feeling ever! I told the doctor and my bp was up so he hospitalized me and then eventually I was placed on bed rest. For me the mental fog was because of blood pressure and things being not right.

BUT*** years earlier when I was in 6th grade I was really sick. I wasn't on bedrest, but didn't get out bed really for 6 months. It is amazing. I didn't want to do anything. I slept and slept. I didn't read, I didn't watch tv. I honestly don't know what I did for all those months. My body just went into hibernation to protect itself and try to get better.

So I think there is a difference. But it could be either. Chances are that your body is just not getting exercise and so is resting more just because. Kind of like the more you sleep after a point the sleepier you are when you awaken.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Mon Dec 13, 638923 5:52 am

I think being tired can be a normal pregnancy symptom, but I was also going to suggest having your thyroid checked. A few years back & before I was pregnant, I experienced symptoms like that and it was my thyroid. Like Alanna said, status can change due to pregnancy. I had to increase my meds just last month.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Dec 13, 638923 12:42 am

I love books so when I was on modified bedrest for a month I had no problems reading.

Have you ever had your thyroid checked? "Brain fog" is a pretty common symptom of hypothyroidism, and thyroid status can change due to pregnancy. Just thought I'd throw that out there just in case. Hang in there!

cucocab

Postby cucocab » Mon Dec 13, 638923 12:31 am

I am so with you! I have been on bed rest since Jan. 13th and it seems like since the last 3-4 weeks I have no want or energy to do anything. I even tell people not to bother coming to visit me anymore. I don't want to watch tv, reading has been somewhat ok since I am finishing up the twilight series, but other than that I have no interest. I get up with the family around 6:30-7 and by the time they leave at 7:40 I want to go back to bed and sleep. I want another nap mid afternoon and go to bed around 9.
We have plans of being induced next Friday the 2nd and I should be wanting to get things arranged but I have no energy or umph to want to. I am just so tired! Part of it could be this raging headache, but I don't think it is depression either as I have been through that too.

cucocab

Postby cucocab » Mon Dec 13, 638923 12:30 am

I am so with you! I have been on bed rest since Jan. 13th and it seems like since the last 3-4 weeks I have no want or energy to do anything. I even tell people not to bother coming to visit me anymore. I don't want to watch tv, reading has been somewhat ok since I am finishing up the twilight series, but other than that I have no interest. I get up with the family around 6:30-7 and by the time they leave at 7:40 I want to go back to bed and sleep. I want another nap mid afternoon and go to bed around 9.
We have plans of being induced next Friday the 2nd and I should be wanting to get things arranged but I have no energy or umph to want to. I am just so tired! Part of it could be this raging headache, but I don't think it is depression either as I have been through that too.

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sun Dec 12, 638923 4:22 pm

While I was on bedrest for 6 weeks with my last pregnancy, I experienced exactly what you describe. My blood pressure was not steadily going up, it stayed around 140/90 so I don't know about the BP aspect, but I was overwhelming tired all the time. It seemed like the simplest activities made me even more tired. My husband joked with me that I could take a nap 30 minutes after I got up and he was right! It was never restful sleep, but I've heard that about being on bedrest.

Do you monitor your pressure at home? Do you have any other symptoms? It cannot hurt to mention it to your doctor or the next time you go for a NST.

montgjules

Mental fog

Postby montgjules » Sun Dec 12, 638923 3:52 pm

For about a week now, I feel like I've been living in a mental fog. It's like the world is going on around me and I just can't focus and be a part of it myself. I have a whole list of "to do" items that need to get done (while on bed rest) but I just can't do anything but stare at the walls. Even watching TV is hard because it requires me to pay attention. Reading is out of the question. When I did my NST on Monday, I just stared at the walls for three hours, even though I had a book with me.

Has anybody else experienced this? I'm so tired all the time right now and sleeping more than usual, but I feel sleepy all the time. I can lie down on the couch for an hour or more with my eyes closed--not sleeping--and just feel blah.

Do you think this is just part of bed rest? Is it a sign of depression? (I've had depression and this doesn't feel th same.) Is it because my blood pressure is going up? I'm so frustrated and just wanted to know if anybody else has had this same experience while on bed rest or when their blood pressure was up.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”