Being Induced

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kellikbock

Re : Being Induced

Postby kellikbock » Tue Nov 09, 638923 4:53 am

I've been induced three times!Everytime pitocin was used right away. First (39 wks) go was 21 hours (I was 2 cm already); Second (38wks) was 12 hours; Third (38wks) was 10 hours. I did have an epidural all three times. My last little one was breech & they turned him so I had a serious epidural for that one! =)
The only annoying things that I can remember is the stupid BP cuff going off every 15 min. during induction...that got on my nerves, lol =) Good luck & congrats!

brandib

Postby brandib » Tue Nov 09, 638923 4:41 am

I'm verrrry jealous of all three of you!!!!!

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Tue Nov 09, 638923 2:51 am

Ohhh good luck! I was told with a soft cervix that was already shortening 4 weeks ago (but not dialated yet and they haven't checked again) that I may be able to go straight to pitocin. It sound s like you are pretty ready to go down there lady :)

Cucocab - next Friday as in 4/2 ? I may be joining you! I have heard 4/1 & 4/2 thrown around but don;t have anything scheduled yet!

ashesashie

Postby ashesashie » Tue Nov 09, 638923 2:01 am

cucocab- thank you for sharing your story! Perhaps there is a trend for epidural speeding up inductions??

ashesashie

Postby ashesashie » Tue Nov 09, 638923 1:58 am

Thanks so much for telling me your story!! It helps to have even the vaguest idea of how things might go :). I don't know how thinned I am. The only thing she said was that I was very soft, and 3 cm. She also "stretched my cervix" today...whatever that consists of. I have asked and read about the mag, so I am prepared that it will be terrible. But, I would prefer that to a c-section, so hopefully this induction will work! :)

cucocab

Postby cucocab » Tue Nov 09, 638923 1:58 am

First of all good luck! I am also being induced next Friday due to mild pre e/PIH. I have had a migrane like headache for 7 days now that is waking me up at night and protein levels are jumping around.

My first was induced at 38 weeks for PIH. I think I was a 2 and 30% effaced (can't remember that well!) I was given pitocin, If I remember correctly we started around 11am and went thru the day with lots of contractions and some dialating but no progress. They stopped the pitocin and let me sleep as well as I could for the night to see if things would pick up on their own... I continued contracting but nothing to get things moving along - so at 7:30 am they broke my water. I think I got the epidural at 8:30/9? I delivered at 10:49 - I went from a 5cm to a 10cm in 15 min and the actual birth was quick.

I am hoping this next one goes as smoothly and we don't need to have a c-section.

brandib

Postby brandib » Tue Nov 09, 638923 12:28 am

My friend just had her daughter and she was dilted two centimeters and they went straight to pitocin. My other friend was at three centimeters and they still gave her cervadil. I think it's more how thinned out you are rather than how dilated you are.

With my first child, I was induced at 37 weeks due to severe PE and I was given cervadil for 12hrs and then they started the pitocin and mag. I still didn't thin out or dilate past 1 cm :0( So at only 1cm this doctor broke my water....can you say OUCH??? He had to get three fingers and a hook inside a hole as big as your finger tip!!! ( He said thats the size of being dilated one cm.) They wanted to do a c-section then, but I BEGGED not to. Then, six hours later, I was still one cm!! They told me that they were doing a c-section by midnight if I didn't deliver and it was already 9:30pm! They told me to try a epidural as a last resort and I had my epidural by 10pm and my daughter was out by midnight!!!! She was born EXACTLY at 12:00am!! Of course, they already tried two failed inductions!!! So, I really had three rounds of cervadil and pitocin!!!! As I'm sure you've read, mag is awful stuff :0( But life saving :0)

With my second child I was induced at 36weeks with PE and I was dilated one cm to start off with. I did 12 hours of cervadil and then they started the pitocin. My water was broken at 10:40am and I had dilated to three almost four cm by then!! At noon I was 5 cm and everything was looking good....and then I stopped dilating :0( My son went into distress :0( I was in agonizing pain, and then by almost four pm I finally got the epidural and boom bam boom again I dilated quickly and he was born at 5:07pm! This go around I begged and begged and actually sobbed to not have the mag, but they made me :0( So both times, they started the mag with me at the same time as the pitocin. I hope you dilate quickly!!!!!!!!! Starting off at 3cm is great! Do you know how thinned out you are????

ashesashie

Being Induced

Postby ashesashie » Mon Nov 08, 638923 9:15 pm

I am being induced (yay) in a week, at 37 weeks due to pre-e. I am already dilated 3cm. I was just curious, does anyone know if they generally still give cervical ripeners at 3cm or just go straight to pitocin?

Also, anyone who wouldn't mind sharing their induction story, I would appreciate it. (I know I will be given magnesium, as well.)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”