Abdominal Growth Slowed? ** Updated with answers**

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
julieb

Re : Abdominal Growth Slowed? ** Updated with answers**

Postby julieb » Sat Jul 03, 638923 9:32 pm

I was told that when growth starts to slow, first weight slows down, then height, then brain growth. I know sometimes babies can grow in spurts so maybe he will have some better growth between now and your next growth scan. There is also lots of room for error on ultrasounds, especially when you have different people doing them. I hope you hear some reassuring news from your doctor!!

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sat Jul 03, 638923 8:47 pm

Jamie,

I hope you have already been able to speak with a doctor about this, but I just wanted to share my experience. In my last pregnancy (delivered at 37 weeks), the same thing happened with my son, weight-wise starting around 31 weeks. They also did other measurements, though, that showed he was growing and when he was born, he was long (21.5") and skinny (5 lb 11 oz) ... and healthy!

Positive thoughts, happy days. You are doing a great job! Enjoy the rest while you can :)

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sat Jul 03, 638923 8:08 pm

I THINK, don't quote me but I think this is a indicator of a placenta that is failing thus the baby not growing on Q. I hope I am not telling you wrong but after I read extensivley up on fetal growth, that is what I found out why our little girl stopped growing at 18 weeks. If I am wrong, someone correct me.

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Jul 03, 638923 3:28 pm

If they think it could be a technical error, than they should clarify with a repeat US, but sooner than 2 weeks!

m

Postby m » Sat Jul 03, 638923 3:26 pm

My baby has been behind in abdominal growth for a while and my peri told me that this late in pregnancy the abdominal growth is mainly related to how much fat the baby is putting on, so it didn't concern him and it isn't a concern as far as anatomy or organ growth. This was about 4 weeks ago and I believe I'm due shortly before you are, so it should apply to the stage you're at as well.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Jul 03, 638923 2:50 pm

Blah!

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Sat Jul 03, 638923 2:40 pm

No - it was checked today. The earliest a growth scan will be repeated is 2 more weeks.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Sat Jul 03, 638923 2:37 pm

Can you request that another US be done at this time to recheck his Ab growth?

sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby sam10 » Sat Jul 03, 638923 2:35 pm

I am glad your labs are ok and your BP is under control. And what a score 8/8 for your little baby! This is great.

I did not experience any reduced abdominal growth, but everything went down so fast for me.

Hope the doctors will be able to put your mind at ease.

love_the_daschies

Abdominal Growth Slowed? ** Updated with answers**

Postby love_the_daschies » Sat Jul 03, 638923 1:15 pm

Hi All,

So I am sitting here with good labs and o.k. BPs (130-140/80-90). Baby boy had his testing this morning and did great - 8/8 on BPP, reactive NST, normal doppler waveform. The only thing that concerned me is they noted no significant abdominal growth in the past 2 weeks. They said some could have been due to tech error in measurememnts - but that made him go from 4lbs 6 ounces(83%) to 4 lbs 10 ounces (51%) in 2 weeks :(

I have no idea how big of a deal this would be. I am hoping to see a doctor later this afternoon to discuss this. I assume since everything else was fine - that they will not worry about this too much - but gosh I was not expecting it.

Anyone experience this? Were your docs concerned?

Thanks!

**** Update:

So I was finally able to speak to all the doctors today. We are going to repeat the growth scan in 2 weeks at 35 weeks + 6 days. If no growth - we will probably deliver. BPPs every Monday and Thursday until then. Any day I don't feel good movement we will monitor.

I had a BP spike of 154/90 yesterday and my low numbers are now 130s/80s. Dipsticks have become +2. Blood work will be done every Monday and Thursday.

Dr.'s assured me we will watch closely and not let anything slip through the cracks.I will feel better when I can talk to my MFM on Monday as well and recap everything because he is the man :) .

Soooo - it's still just wait and see and try to get me to 37 weeks according to today's Dr. I'll take it! That would mean 19 hospital bedrest days down - 20 days to go! Of course then they add, if you last that long.....

I am trying to use hospital time to sleep and read and just try and enjoy the small things - since oh gosh do I miss my dogs and hubby. I finally had to kick him out last night at 11 pm because he just didn't want to leave :( - but had to go let the dogs out. I know the time will start to fly by when I am in countdown to baby mode. AHHHHH - 3 more weeks - I feel so unprepared for how life will change!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”