Back with results

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
thirdtimesthecharm

Re : Back with results

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 03:30 pm

Thanks for that info Caryn.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:43 am

Carrie,

Stress levels might cause your spikes, but that's probably just a sign that your blood pressure control mechanism is broken or disabled by pregnancy, because otherwise it wouldn't do that! White-coat hypertension is thought to be a risk factor for PE because it implies that that controller is broken.

Our Experts have been very clear that stress won't cause preeclampsia.

With spikes to 160/100 I think they'd class you as "severe" PIH.

thirdtimesthecharm

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:11 am

My resting BPs are now 130s/80s usually. When I get up for any length of time (right now I'm limited to 10 minute stretches) it goes up to 140s/90s. My baselines are 120s/70s so it's still definitely higher than normal.

I think a lot of the 160 today was my nerves over what my results from the urine and blood work would be. I was going in thinking I may be hospitalized so I was stressed! I'm getting a new blood pressure moniter today and am supposed to take it with me next week so it can be calibrated. Hopefully my resting numbers stay good!

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

How are your pressures running at home? those 160/100s are NOT cool at all. I always get lower readings at home (and I have brought my machine in too calibrate it with the office's) so I hope you do too!

thirdtimesthecharm

Back with results

Postby thirdtimesthecharm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:24 am

My offical diagnosis is Pregnancy induced hypertension. My BP was 160/100 at the office today but I was stressed about the results from the tests last week. They got it down to 130/85 by having me lay down for 20 minutes and taking my BP on my right arm while laying down. I know now how wrong that is but I was happy not to be making another trip to L&D so I let it slide.

My protein was 240 so the doctor is not diagnosing as pre-eclampsia yet. I'm on strict bedrest, have to moniter my pressures at home, and have a list of things to head to L&D for. They want to wait to put me on blood pressure meds so we'll see how that works out.

All in all I'm relieved that they let me come home and I'm relieved that the protein wasn't too bad. I'm seeing them again next week and we'll do some repeat labs then.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”