Gallbladder removal, liver dysfunction **UPDATE**

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Gallbladder removal, liver dysfunction **UPDATE**

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 13, 638917 10:01 am

quote:Originally posted by atvlady

Did you have yours removed before or after a pregnancy?

When I had mine out, I had never been pregnant, and it was a good 10 years after the surgery before I got pregnant.

The pain for me would come in waves. They scared the crap out of me. I'd have a horrible pain that felt like it was in my middle and upper back. I'd throw up due to the pain being so intense. It was horrible. I remember after the surgery, they gave me a vile full of stones. They were probably just joking with me, but said it was considered to be my property so they had to give them back to me. ;) They creeped me out, so I threw them away. LOL! It's amazing that something so little can cause so much pain.

I know with the little stones, you get 'attacks' when you pass the stone... but you could also have very large stones that are too big to pass. These can cause pain too, but not usually sudden attacks from my understanding. Some people have stones that never cause problems.

I don't remember having a fever with my gall stones... just vomiting. I assume your doctor has checked you for an infection?

This isn't quite the same thing, but I also have kidney stones. (What's up with all the stones???) I've only passed a kidney stone twice, so I'm not treating them. But,anyway, one time when I passed a particularly horrendous kidney stone, I ended up with a pretty serious kidney infection/UTI afterwards. The doctor said the stone probably scratched up my innards (er... he didn't use the word innards) on the way out, and that made me very vulnerable to infection. With that infection, I did have a very high fever.

Sooooo.... I just wonder/worry if you have an infection related to passing a gallstone? Is your fever gone?

Sending you lots of hugs... I'm so sorry you are feeling so sick!!

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Sat Mar 13, 638917 7:30 am

I don't have any experience with this. Just wanted to say I'm sorry your liver is acting up again and I hope they were able to give you something at the hospital to make you feel better.

hope08

Postby hope08 » Sat Mar 13, 638917 7:25 am

I had my gallbladder removed after the birth of my first child. I didn't have pe or hellp with that pregnancy.I can tell you that the experience was one of the scariest .The pain started when I was 6 months pregnant and didnt end until 3 months pp. My pain started right under my rib cage and radiated up into my chest.I was only 19 at the time but collapsed and thought I was having a heart attack.Numerous trips to l & d and the ER after the birth and still nothing finally they ordered an ultrasound and I had 2 dozen stones! Recovery isn't bad either. Hope you feel better soon.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sat Mar 13, 638917 3:22 am

Thanks. Yes I was miserable this weekend. Fever of 102.3, you name it I had it this time. Then I got to hurting so bad last night I couldn't get any relief so I went to the ER and to my surprise it was my liver. Did you have yours removed before or after a pregnancy? I have read several women has theirs removed after pregnancy. Thanks for the input and if the pain I am having is a end result of my gallbladder, I am going to feel SO much better when it is out.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 13, 638917 3:15 am

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I don't have experience with your situation, exactly, but I'll share anyway. I had my gallbladder our when I was 19. I can tell you, after I had my gallbladder out I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I do know that my liver enzymes were really high before the surgery, and back to normal afterwards. (I don't know the numbers, and at 19 I didn't think to ask.) The surgery itself wasn't too bad, and I had a pretty quick recovery.

I did, later in life, get pregnant and develop HELLP... so, in my experence, the surgery doesn't mean you won't get HELLP in the future. But your gallbladder could very well be the reasons your enzymes have remained elevated (or at least, it could be partially responsible).

I hope this surgery helps with both the pain and the liver enzymes, like it did for me. If you've been having "attacks", you'll feel SO much better after you recover from the surgery. :)

atvlady

Gallbladder removal, liver dysfunction **UPDATE**

Postby atvlady » Sat Mar 13, 638917 1:08 am

Ok I need everyone's help here. Unfrotunatley my liver has threw me yet another curve ball. It yet again sent me to the ER last night but this time the pain was everywhere but at my liver. I need to know how many of you had your gallbladder removed after pre-e/HELLP and did it help? How many of you had HELLP and trouble with your enzymes, gallbladder removed and liver enzymes back to normal. My liver last night was 119/64 and total bili was 2.1. I am set to have my gallbladder removed mid February. Can any of you give me some insight on your own personal experience? Thanks!

***UPDATE*** I went and saw my surgeon Friday. The results of my upper GI noted erosion in my stomach and I do have crystals in my GB. So out with my GB Feb. 10. He did say that your GB both healthy and sick can cause your liver to be unbalanced. He has requested monthly monitoring of my liver and I cannot get pregnant for atleast 3 months after my surgery <SIGH> He wants to make sure my GB was my problem. I am currently trying to track down any and all medical records of labs that I had done before I was pregnant.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”