Chances of having a VBAC?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jjones1333
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 638292 9:34 pm

Re : Chances of having a VBAC?

Postby jjones1333 » Thu Sep 03, 638635 6:38 am

quote:Originally posted by angieb

Both my ob and MFM said that a vaginal delivery is out of the question because of my vertical (classic) incision and in fact they will schedule the c-section around 36 weeks after an amnio to be sure the baby's lungs are developed enough. But they don't even want me to go in labor, at all, much less attempt a delivery.



This is pretty much the exact same thing that my MFM told me. With my daughter I had my amnio done at 36 weeks but she wasn't ready, so we waited until 37 and she was out.


rebecca2
Registered User
Posts: 640
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 638607 1:14 am

Re : Chances of having a VBAC?

Postby rebecca2 » Mon Aug 24, 638635 6:36 pm

I had a classical c-section with my daughter at 26w5d. My OB told me that even if everything goes great with this pregnancy, we will schedule a c-section no later than 38 weeks because of the risk of rupture.

User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 637032 6:26 pm

Re : Chances of having a VBAC?

Postby caryn » Mon Aug 24, 638635 12:40 pm

As I understand it a vertical cut is much more likely to rupture, and docs tend to schedule the section before you are likely to begin labor to avoid that risk. With a previous history of severe PE at 25 weeks and a prior vertical incision, you'd be risked out by midwives in any case.

(The idea is that with a previous vertical cut, the risk to you and to the baby from labor is substantially higher than the risk to you and to the baby from a Caesarean, especially with that first surgery happening so early in a pregnancy that the cut occupies a larger area of your uterus than a cut later in pregnancy would have.)

angieb
Registered User
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 638626 8:10 pm
Contact:

Re : Chances of having a VBAC?

Postby angieb » Mon Aug 24, 638635 10:27 am

Both my ob and MFM said that a vaginal delivery is out of the question because of my vertical (classic) incision and in fact they will schedule the c-section around 36 weeks after an amnio to be sure the baby's lungs are developed enough. But they don't even want me to go in labor, at all, much less attempt a delivery. (Which is fine by me. I don't really have any desire to go through labor or push a baby out.)

You might be able to find a doctor willing to let you try it, but I know that both my doctors would look at me like I suggested they cut my head off. But then again, I also happen to live in Missouri where midwives aren't allowed to legally do deliveries, etc. You best bet would probably be a midwife.

I understand your concern about 4 c-sections being a lot. (I also hope to have 3 more.) But I have seen women that have done it. I think even Michelle Duggar has had one or two c-sections prior to her recent delivery.

jjones1333
Registered User
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 638292 9:34 pm

Chances of having a VBAC?

Postby jjones1333 » Mon Aug 24, 638635 8:23 am

My husband and I plan on getting my IUD out in 2 years to try again. I have had 2 c/s already. My first was a vertical cut in 2008, the second was normal this past May. I had severe pre-e w/ elevated enzymes in my first pregnancy. My second I had not pre-e just some low fluid (around 6 to 7 cm) but the docs weren't to concerned since I was delivering in 4 days anyway.

My question is when we try in 2 years would I be able to get a VBAC? I was told that I would have to get all c/s. I plan on having 2 more and 4 c/s seems to be a lot. Any one have a VBAC after having 2 c/s already?


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests