When were you put on Bedrest for BP??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
fwlady

Re : When were you put on Bedrest for BP??

Postby fwlady » Mon Jan 04, 2010 02:10 am

TY ladies. I am in the hospital again. It is late, but I am a little wired, I guess. The baby seems to be pretty wired too. LOL She hasn't had such high heart rates and crazy variability since the first time I walked into L&D the first time. She was pretty laid back after that. And, in some ways, that means labor really isn't on its way, because babies tend to get quiet before labor. Unless she is trying to break my water.

The dr on call (from the practice the other dr that took me on), came in to see me. He seemed nice. The whole practice is very VBAC friendly. He was going to let me go back to the hotel, because most of my pressures were fine. They took blood that he said would probably be fine. But, when I first came in, the nurse put me on my left side and asked if I had been laying on my side and taking pressures that way. Well, they never took them that way when I came in, and my pressures had gone down well enough. And, the paper said full bedrest, not side lying, as there was an option for that too. So, the pressures were low on my side. The last two were 141/89 and 130/90. Dr thought he stressed me out and that was why I had the last reading. Not true, and these were on my side. I have never had them that high on my side, as it is. The others before were very low.

I think my friend had an agenda when she said that I should probably go in. I was wavering, and then I asked her if she thought I should go in, and she said yes. I had the NST tomorrow morning. She said she WANTED to be here with me. She insisted that guys don't do well with it, so whatever I needed, for her to babysit or be with me, either was fine. But, it has been total drama at her house since she left. And, her house is 1.5 hrs from the hospital. Her husband isn't taking care of her kids, and they are calling. All she had to do was say that my DH needed to come over and she had to go home. Now I am alone, as he is home at night with our 2yo and 15yo.

But, we did expect I would be in full blown labor when she brought me. I thought it was going to surely happen, because surely if I stayed home with snow coming down, an hour away with bad roads, with those CTX, and I would be in full blown labor without being able to safely get to the hospital. So, I errored on the side of caution. Worse case it would be tonight. But, I thought that if labor keeps trying to come and go, but then stops, the baby may not be doing well with it, so in a way, she would turn it off. Can't keep going on like that without having her checked.

I thought my friend should go back to the hotel and go home early to get her kids on the bus, but she ended up leaving at 10pm tonight. The husband is totally neglecting their 12 children, and he stays home all the time with her. I had asked her if her husband didn't want her to come, since he had been calling or texting every 30 min asking if I was actually in labor and when would she be home. She assured me that he just isn't used to be away from her. Ya know, if she couldn't trust him with the kids (and they have several with med issues), then she should have been more realistic and said that she would babysit and DH could be with me. She had already babysat two of my kids, but I don't think that is going to happen again.

But, she keeps texting me telling me that she wants to know when something happens so she can be here. And, that if she misses it, she is going to "kill him".

Sorry about the vent. It would be nice if ppl can be realistic. Like say, "don't call unless you KNOW it is going to happen really soon." But, I don't want to wait too long, and unfortunately, after having this many, false labor can happen a little more often. I know I am having other changes. She was insistant that the baby would come last night, so I decided to have her take me in to the hotel. I would have rathered called my husband up to be with me in the hotel and take me in for the NST tomorrow.

They gave me the option of staying for a 23 hr observation, rather than an admit, or go back "home", so I can talk to the dr tomorrow. It is the dr that took my case that is on call, his schedule is totally free (lucky me, eh?), and if I would rather opt for the section, then no food or drink after midnight. Do the heplock tomorrow. Take off monitors when I go to bed (or midnight). And, they didn't do any more pressures after I got into the antepartum room. They didn't see any problems with my pressures. I know if I had been upright, they would have been really high. I guess it is just a different dr's way of doing things.

I am sure there is a reason for me being here. But, I truly think that if I had asked DH to come over, and have my friend go home to her family (should have told her we should do that), then I would be having lower pressures with him there (as she was making me a nervous wreck), and I wouldn't have felt I needed to come in tonight. I could have also sat in the back seat, with heat as her truck had the heat go out before she came to get me, and been with my 2yo and my DH at the hotel, with better pressures. And, with DH, I would have been doing better to stay on total bedrest. I didn't walk around, but we did go down for bfast and dinner both days.

She has been with me before 4 yrs ago when my water broke, and I was homebirthing. She was PG just after losing a baby at term not too long before. I asked her if she was sure she could handle it and she was absolutely SURE she would be fine. She wanted to be there. But, then, labor didn't hit. She went home and 90 hrs after PROM (but 23 days late) I transferred for mec, which turned out all fine and both of us were very fine and healthy. But, during that time, she was nervous and calling. And, I thought it would be better this time since it has been over 4 yrs. DH says maybe next time, but I can't do this with her again. She wants to be there, but I just don't think she can do it, and she can't trust their children to the husband.

Well, anyway, I guess I better get to bed. Don't want to make any hard decisions on too little sleep. The dr is suppose to be in at 7:30 instead of 9am because he doesn't have anything scheduled. And, my Dh isn't here. Kymberli

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 08:56 pm

I second. I think it warrants being checked out, although I totally understand wanting to avoid it until absolutely necessary.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Jan 03, 2010 06:24 pm

Please do go in. Your doctor should not have told you that you won't have a seizure - there is no way anyone can know that. And if your BP continues to rise, and since you have headaches and visual disturbances, which could mean cerebral swelling, you very well could seize the longer you wait.

Since you are already overdue and have PIH, your placenta is probably significantly aged (DD's placenta at 32 weeks looked like a 38 week placenta because of calcification caused by elevated blood pressure). An NST won't detect that. Please, please go in and get checked out. We are all very worried about you!

fwlady

Postby fwlady » Sun Jan 03, 2010 06:07 pm

UPDATE:
We are at the hotel near the hospital, my labor friend and I. DH is home with the 2yo and our 15yo sons. The other friend said the kids can stay for the duration. They are so anxious to see the baby. The kids are going crazy in anticipation. LOL

I decided yesterday, that since I was having really good CTX, I better head over to the city. I didn't think it was worth walking into L&D, because my BP was okay. I was trying to stay on strict bedrest, but my DH and DS were not cooperating (the 15yo, not 2yo). The night before, I had taken a bath and got into my nightgown. I NEVER use nightgowns, but I figured that if I was in my nightgown, then no one would expect anything out of me. So, I get up and get upset because I had already been asking DS to get his jobs done, or do a small extra one because the other kids weren't here. DH had made a hot breakfast. He didn't want to do what I asked, as he was tired from staying up too late all those nights with his friends and then going to practice. Well, that wasn't my doing.

It was after lunch, and DH had fallen asleep right after I asked what we were having for lunch at 11:30. I got DS to make the 2yo lunch. I asked him to make me some, but as he handed me the rest of the PBJ tortillas he made, I told him politely that I cannot eat it, because it give me TERRIBLE indigestion now. I asked if he could just microwave some cheese between tortillas, and he could finish his lunch. He just sat and watched the tv after that.

So, I got up, and I guess DH woke or something, and I just told him that my BP is good and bad whether or not I was on bedrest or switching the laundry (as I had done twice the night before while they were gone to the dr appt and switching kids). So, I was going to get up and do what I needed to do, whether it was making lunch, and I couldn't get DS to do it. I told him what transpired and that I was getting my clothes on and doing what needed to be done. The laundry hadn't been switched since the night before when I did it, and they were going to get moldy. And, this was 2pm at this point. DH jumped up and I think DS decided he better jump up too and fixed my lunch. DH came in and told me not to do the laundry, he would and just get back to the couch. After I finally calmed down my upset, I laid down and ate my "quesadilla". I told DH that since the dr said I won't have a seizure, then I guess I am fine to do what I have to. And, I had already explained to him before that the high BP is bad for the baby. I want to be careful, because we already lost one during this PG, but it is bad for my BP to have to beg ppl to help me. So then, DS and DH made sure I was on strict bedrest.

So, anyway, we left for the city, and my friend and I had a "girls night out" and this works out for us, since we have going on 20 kids between the two of us. LOL The DH's take care of the kids. But, all we did was having the hotel's dinner downstairs, and came up. But, I thought for sure with all those very firm ctx, and the other signs I have had over the day, that I would be going into L&D last night. The only way that the ctx stay are if I am upright or walking to the bathroom. But, I was still PG this morning.

The snow was going to come and came down last night, as predicted. Part of the reason I wanted to get to the city, JIC I really did go into labor, there wouldn't be bad roads. MO doesn't clear their roads like the north, nor do MOians know how to safely drive in it (in general, of course). We just aren't used to it. But, my DH is used to driving in it, as my friend who grew up in Detroit. Maybe the Lord was saving my BP from having to go out in that snow, because the ctx petered off mostly. My BP was not great. I did hit 100 once, but I checked it twice after, and it was 96 and 94. I thought for sure we would have to go in this morning, because my AM readings are worse. But, then our local weather said the roads were really slick.

So, after telling DH the roads were slick, and I hadn't had the baby at the hospital yet, my ctx were gone, and my BPs were in the 90s last night, he called the hotel to renew our room without even asking me what I wanted to do. The snow was flurries that would be gone by noon, and the roads would be cleared by then. My AM BPs were actually just in the 80s. Then, they bumped up again in late morning and afternoon, but as the afternoon has worn on, they are just 88-92 diastolic. Dr said 100, but I thought he meant STAY at 100, so I wasn't alarmed last night, after it went down. Now, I know better.

So, we may be going in tonight to be checked out, if my BP creeps up this evening again. I thought I had just messed up myself last night for having the dinner downstairs and not taking it up, or having my friend get all of it and bringing it up. I don't want her to be my maid or anything. She has been VERY helpful since. Both her DH and my children are asking about if labor has kicked in. Isn't that helpful? LOL I am such a watched pot.

I am happy that we are 6 mi from the hospital. I am having some crampy ctx now, more like I need to go to the bathroom, but I don't need to. Not cervical cramping, but I won't wait too long. I don't want to go in too soon, unless it is a BP issue, because I know they aren't going to just send us home, even if we are both "fine" because I know this situation isn't "fine". We are "skating on thin ice" because my BP has gone back up. And, I am not even sure, but I think my monitor is less than the L&Ds, or at least when they are doing the BP right. :/

So, we will have the hotel dinner again (haven't had to leave for food). And, I think I am going to go in. My BPs are just going to go up tonight and I am having crampy all over contractions. So, labor may not be totally there, but I want the baby checked out. I don't want to sit on anything. I have also had headaches and some blurry spots last and tonight. Not too bad, and BP hasn't been too terrible, but really high for me.

Every day, I feel like I am a ticking time bomb. Just that one of these days it is going to be too much for her. And, I cannot deal with it if something happens to her. So, although I don't think that it is imminent, or that I need over monitoring, I think she does.

So, my friend just has to decide if she wants to come back and take the room or check out now. I think she will just check out tomorrow. I don't want her to lose the room. They could just put me there to watch us and do the NST tomorrow to discuss options, and labor make not kick in tonight. But, it very well could, and I want to be there. Kymberli

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 02:14 pm

Hehe... we are doing good right now to afford what we have. I do support adoption in general though. My aunt and uncle have 3 kids, 2 of which were adopted. I love them- they are my family, and turned out to be better kids than their biological daughter who chose a dark path.

fwlady

Postby fwlady » Fri Jan 01, 2010 01:52 pm

Well, there is also adoption. :) I was adopted as a teen, and I know my life is a thousand times better because of it. My siblings have very sad lives. :( Some of them were taken away and put into the system, the others stayed. And, all of them just haven't had a chance. There is always that chance that they could have or will get out of the muck, but so far, no dice, and they are all adults now. They can now make their own decisions, but I am sure it is just harder trying to do it on their own, whereas I have my adopted family. Not to change the subject, just thought I would throw that out. Your DH could still have his large family. :) Kymberli

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:57 am

Haha.... my husband has always said he wants a ton of kids. Now after being hospitalized twice for bp and learning all the bad things that could have happened this far he is saying that he wants this to be our last baby. I am sad. I like having the option to have a 3rd. Maybe I will change his mind in a few years. He is completely against permanent bc methods. I think I am going to try an IUD this time though.

fwlady

Postby fwlady » Fri Jan 01, 2010 09:09 am

I am so sorry for your loss Mrs. Spit. For all the ladies here that have lost babies to this terrible disease. There really needs to be a push for some kind of treatment or cure for it. Pre-e is so unpredictable and uncontrollable.

I found out a really neat stat. It is more likely to conceive twins between ages 30-34. I thought it was after age 40. Which was when I conceived both sets of mine. I must have something that causes me to not be able to carry both of them, since I have lost one both times. :( They say it is pretty common to lose one though. My children have been begging me for twins (so they don't have to share just one baby lol), since we suspected twins the first time. They guessed it this PG too before we lost him/her. Before these two pregnancies, they had never mentioned twins, although they were all younger too before then.

Things are going pretty well. No baby yet. No contractions yet. I do get them when I am on the computer. Not sure why that is.

Oh, and I wanted to add that my DH actually yelled at me on the phone when I told him I was going to postpone the csection. He said he made the plans to get off (forgetting to add that wasn't actually going to get home that day and those plans were already changed beyond his control), and here I was changing it. So, yes, I do think he is mad because I didn't have the surgery. And, yes, we are anxious to see her. But, for me, having surgery would affect my decision on whether to have more, and I know that he wants more. I had asked him way before (twice) how set he was on having more children. This would affect my decision on an elective section. But, he never answered me. I am not wanting to have repeat surgeries and a VBA2C would be nearly impossible, and I don't think with my age, and number of PG, that I would even attempt it. I am VERY pro-VBAC, but there has to come a point where one draws a line.

I don't think any dr would blink an eye at doing a tubal for me while in there, with as many kids as we have, and how many people are for population control. :) But, it is nice that there are drs out there that are more thinking about their patients well being than an agenda of their own. Kymberli

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Thu Dec 31, 2009 08:22 pm

The mister and I made a careful decision that if we lost another child to pre-e, I would have my tubes tied, and the doctor is ok with that, knowing we made the decision carefully. Having said that, he was also clear that he would be happy to schedule a tubal in a few months, but he generally would be uncomfortable with a spur of the moment decision made at the end of a pregnancy.

We had always wanted lots of kids, until infertility and then neonatal death intervened. Like Mr. Spit said, it kind of takes away from the experience when they tell you that your wife is going to die. You begin to realize that God can use you in lots of ways. It's such a hard balance.

Hoping you have that baby tonight, quick and sweet.

katznkt

Postby katznkt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 05:46 pm

Take care of yourself, and behave.

My dh would skin me alive if I had a chance to have the baby and didn't take it. He is that anxious to see her and hold her. lol

I wish you would have stayed as well, but believe me when I say I know the urge to get out of the hospital, especially when you feel fine and you know the nurses think you are fine.

Keep us up to date!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”