C-Section

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : C-Section

Postby missgamecock » Wed Dec 23, 2009 06:43 pm

My first severe pe and partial hellp I had an induction. I wanted a csection after a rough night and sucky mag. The drs told me that I would either bleed out and/or have a seizure. They said she was doing ok. I was very sick. They said if she went into distress they would forget about the bleeding/seizure and could have her out in less than 5 mins. Oh and the manually dialated my cervix since it wasn't dialating with the gel stuff. That was the WORST pain ever. Once I got to 5cms and they broke my water, I went from 5 to 10 cms in ONE contraction. She came quick.

With Sara, I had severe pih. I had another emergency induction. Fortunately I went into labor very quickly and she was born 7 hours (3 hours labor) after entering the hospital. If had I had not of gone into labor as fast as I did, my ob was prepared to do an emergency csection. Sara was also showing decels in the MFM's office that day and on the monitor.

With Cate, it was decided to do an induction because I definitely had mild pe and was having neurological symptoms. Two days before she was born, my bp shot up to the 160/110 range and after birth 160-170/110-120. My ob wanted an amnio done with her because when we discussed induction I was still mild. So it was a good thing they took when they did. Induction was the EASIEST yet. I did the gel overnight. Cervix was 3cms the next morning. Got the epidural. Labor was 2 1/2 hours. :)

kellyebush

Postby kellyebush » Wed Dec 23, 2009 06:23 pm

When I was admitted to the hospital with severe PE and HELLP, I was 23 weeks. The doctors wanted to deliver immediately, but knew that my wish was to give my son the best chance possible to live. I was told by the MFM that at 23 weeks, they would induce, giving me medicine to thin out my cervix that would ultimately kill my son. So, the initial plan was to have a vaginal delivery even though my BP was 180+/90+ even though I was heavily medicated. There was an old ultrasound that showed my son developed more than a week ahead of his GA, so they "called me" 25 weeks instead. That changed the plan to c-section when I was "on the brink of death" to give my son as much time in the womb as we could possibly buy him. When I had an emergency c-section 4 days later (under general anesthesia), it was discovered that my little man was only developed to 23 weeks. He spent 141 days in the NICU.

Today he is a perfectly normal five year old little guy whose only major problem from his extreme prematurity is that he is blind. Our pediatrician told us at his first appointment with her when he was 5 months old that he is the 1 out of 10 who SURVIVE with his GA/weight/race combination and that most of the kids who do survive have major disabilities, far worse than blindness.

biokatie

Postby biokatie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07 pm

I was induced @ 36 weeks. It took about 30 hours. I wasnt given a choice which was good because i was very nervous about childbirth, have done surgery before...but docs said he was small...so it would be easy when things got going. There were a couple times he was in distress but he quickly recovered.

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm

I had to have an emergency c-section at 29 weeks for my son due to PE and he was 1 lb. 9 oz. and survived. Today he is 5 yrs. old and doing well. He's had a few surgery's but doing good.

lilpeachez3

Postby lilpeachez3 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:45 am

Just like Alexa induced at 33 weeks...went like cake 8 hours from start to finish and much better for my DDs lungs....no NICU and high Ballard scores!!!

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 08:40 am

I had to be induced at 33 weeks due to pre-e, and it went fine.

beetkvass

Postby beetkvass » Sun Dec 06, 2009 08:58 pm

I was induced at 35 weeks with Emmeline and had a very low Bishops score. It was still a very easy induction. I've been induced twice out of my 5 labors and they were honestly my easiest labors and recoveries. I assume a good epidural helped! I was always so afraid of being induced before I actually was.

angieb

Postby angieb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:53 am

Yes, I had to deliver at 23 weeks. If your numbers get bad enough, they don't really care how far along you are. (As it turned out, our baby was in distress because my body was so messed up, so if we hadn't delivered when we did, she probably would have been stillborn within a day or two anyway.)

cupcake32010

Postby cupcake32010 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:34 am

quote:Originally posted by angieb

I was only at 23 weeks but my doctor gave me the choice to try induction or c-section. She was actually trying to subtly steer me toward induction, I think, but I didn't feel like I was in any shape for labor (physically or emotionally). So I opted for the c-section and am really glad I did. (My physical recovery was a breeze once I was off the mag.)

So are you saying they delivered at 23wks?? Because I already had one very preemie baby and cant imagine having another one!

my3tatertots

Postby my3tatertots » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:17 am

I've had two vaginal deliveries - one at 40 weeks and one at 35 weeks. Both times I had a really bad Bishop's score (my cervix wasn't ready) but both times everything worked out just fine! Anytime you are induced with a low Bishop's score, you run a higher risk of needing a c-section but its still quite possible to delivery vaginally so don't be discouraged. :-)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”