BP 178/108 3+ prot. no plans

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mommapaula

Re : BP 178/108 3+ prot. no plans

Postby mommapaula » Sun Nov 09, 638628 11:42 am

My OB told me that he "wasn't going to concern myself with the numbers" and just watch my protein.
I had high BP over the weekend and finally called him Sunday and he sent me to LD to get labs ran. And as always my BP dropped to 110/50's as soon as we walked in the door. My labs all looked good still. Platelets still normal, although dropped to 200 from 275. Everything still within normal range. They did start a 24/hr urine so that I'll have the results by the time of my appt on Thursday.

If I still have high BP on Thursday and he still ignores it, I have a nice plan of action this time. I DO NOT feel comfortable with BP's that high. Period. With my last pregnancy I only got as high as 170/90 and they sent me to LD for several days.. and ended up delivering at 35 weeks due to it not going down. I don't care if he considers me "chronic" or not. I haven't been hypertensive for over 2 years and my body is not used to this.

Anyway, thanks for all the support!

theartsymom

Postby theartsymom » Fri Oct 31, 638628 11:05 am

There is a long list of pre-e acquainted symptoms on the main page of the pre-e site. Can you print that out and take it to the ob and ask him why you do not fit the criteria (according to him)? I had terrible upper right quadrant pain with my first pregnancy. I did not know then what it was. Please continue to report all your symptoms to the OB/PERI even if you think it is not "that big a deal."
I continued to be in pain off and on for weeks before I told my Dr. what exactly was going on- and that was the day we delivered her. I was 31w 6d. By the time I got delivered, several of my major organs were not functioning. It was super scary.
Please keep reporting to your Dr. and self monitoring.
What criteria did the Dr give for for his standard of high bp (my ob said 160/110).

mommapaula

Postby mommapaula » Tue Oct 07, 638628 10:22 am

Last night I totally freaked out as I had pain starting in my upper middle back, moving to my right shoulder and down under my ribs. My BP has stayed nice and low here at home, so I tried gas pills and another pepcid ac to be sure before I called the doc. I HATE second guessing myself with doctors that seem so he!! bent on NOT dx me with pre-e. Luckily the pain did go away around 3am and I went to sleep.

Today my BP on my monitor (which usually runs low) was giving me readings of 140-160/86-118. I went and got my mothers monitor (she lives next door) and the highest I got on hers was 118/52. My monitor usually gives me readings of around 130/70. So I'm not sure now. I'm resting now, BP is back down on my own monitor and if the pain comes back or my BP goes back up, I made the decision that I will call.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Oct 05, 638628 11:58 pm

It's my understanding that technically, one proteinuria over 300 mg and two readings of either of 140/90 make you a preeclamptic, and one reading after that over either of 160/100 makes you a severe preeclamptic.

And you're on bp meds, which makes those high numbers even a bit more unnerving.

And GD is a risk factor for PE.

How are you doing tonight?

patty

Postby patty » Thu Sep 25, 638628 10:14 pm

Maybe you should go back to labor and delivery and let them check your bp's that is awful high and I would want a second opinion too ((hugs)).

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu Sep 25, 638628 5:23 am

In my case I started having PIH at 28 weeks, with pressures close to yours...probably a slight lower diastolic, but not much.

At 33 weeks, once the protein showed up, and I don't think it was a lot--I was sent to the hospital with the NICU and delivered a few days later. They considered me severe pre-e because I already had the pressures, and the protein clinched the deal.

As for the swelling, it can be deceiving...I didn't have tons in my hands and face, which is what they look for. Mine was in the ankles and feet mainly, which people think is normal--but it is hard to tell what is pre-e swelling and normal swelling since you either have one or the other, and can't really tell the difference at the time.

I hope someone listens to you soon!

grasshoppamama

Postby grasshoppamama » Wed Sep 24, 638628 5:32 am

Those are almost exactly the numbers I had on both BP and protein. They put me in the hospital and I delivered 2 days later (just as soon as the steroid shots for baby's lungs could take effect). I was 32 weeks along. It sounds very starnge that they aren't more concerned. Sometimes you have to demand for something to be done...sad we have to do that! Good luck...hope everything turns out fine!

mommapaula

Postby mommapaula » Mon Sep 15, 638628 7:29 am

I actually just left such a hospital with a level 3 NICU. My BP's in the hospital were nice and low (due to bedrest) and my one protein level was so low that they dismissed my having Pre-e. (even though the first one was 301 (barely diagnostic).

After reviewing the entire week with my hubby, we both realize that the Peri's were a bit off on everything. I was sent to the peri for having 4 weeks worth of high BP's and 2+ and 3+ dips. Upon arrival to the peri, I had an ultrasound done, baby measuring 1 week larger and I have extra fluid (I grow big babies so thats not a surprise), However the fluid was concerning. I have Type 2 diabetes controlled by insulin during pregnancy. My A1C levels during pregnancy have all been below diagnosic standards and I am considered WELL controlled.

The peri came in the room, took one look at me and said that my diabetes is NOT under control or I wouldn't have extra fluid and the baby wouldn't be so big. That my Diabetes is causing my high BP and because I'm obese, I must have sleep apnea too which is ccausing the high BP. That I dont "LOOK" pre-e to him beccause I'm not horribly swelled (even though I have deep pitting in my legs (although tiny ankles.. and swollen hands and feet beyond normal to me.. but not beyond normal to someone "obese").

He put me in the hospital for a week... after the one test of 24/hr urine and bp's in normal range, he took my insulin away and started over with lower amounts, causing my sugars to go WAY out of control. Then yelled at me for not eating correctly at home. They did the sleep study for apnea, and nothing... so no sleep apnea. I was released after a week with normal BP's and no more 24 /urine test since the one when I was admitted.

However I was told when I was discharged that they'd be watching me very closely... that he wanted to set up a plan with my OB and he'd get back with me. He never got back with me and the nurse came in with paperwork. I asked the nurse what the plan was and she went to find out. The response was "you are to see your regular ob as scheduled and he will determine when You need to see us again.. it is determined that your BP is fine and just a fluke".

So.. here I am sitting at home stressing about all of it. Feeling like a MAJOR hypochondriac since I've been told several times by all of them to "let us handle it... you have to trust us".

So what do you do when you no longer trust your new OB, and your new Peri's? These Peri's are linked with the only other high risk place in town that has a level 3 NICU.

On a better note, I did take my BP at home, it was down to 158/88, and took again at the pharmacy and it was 152/82, so it has gone down since the appointment at the OB. I plan to take it several times a day at home, relax as much as possible and if I make it to my next appt and things are STILL bad and nothing is done, then I plan to take myself to the last hospital and ask for help. I just don't know what else to do.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Sep 14, 638628 5:45 pm

The NIH Working Group report's criteria say that you are a severe preeclamptic and should probably be managed in a tertiary hospital (with at least a level III NICU) with constant fetal monitoring.

I would very much want that second opinion, in your shoes.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Sep 14, 638628 11:10 am

I would call your Peri & let them know the pressures that you got at the OB's office. And I would call today. Things can change so quickly with PE it's better to be safe than sorry. (((HUGS))) Update when you can!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”