Inducing b/ of IUGR. What is the BEST METHOD??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
3preemiekidz

Re : Inducing b/ of IUGR. What is the BEST METHOD??

Postby 3preemiekidz » Sun May 30, 2004 06:55 pm

I've been induced with all of my kids.
First at 35 weeks with cervidel and pictocin.
Second at 29 weeks with cytotec.
Third with cervidel and pictocin.
All came vaginally with no problems. My water was broken with my first at 5cm, 2nd at 2cm and 3rd at 3cm. They were all born within 30min or less of having my water broke. I, however, was not allowed out of bed, was on constant monitoring, magnesium, etc. They also put leads on the babies heads so they could have even closer monitoring of them just in case anything happenned. I personally liked the cytotec. I've read and heard all the warnings about it but I feel that it actually saved me from having to have a c-section. It was my shortest labor and with no pain meds. Everyone is different. I've read a lot about inductions stalling labor and yet in my family, my mom, my sister and I have all been induced with no problems. Depending on what they find out at the ultrasound, they may want you in the hospital for the induction. Best of luck and congratulations

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 4,
Ezra 2 1/2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP

samarasmom

Postby samarasmom » Sun May 30, 2004 10:58 am

I had to be induced with both of my sons due to stalled labor. For me breaking my water didnt due much good esp. with my 2nd son which caused my labor to completely stop. I was induced with pitocin which worked too well for me.The only problem I had was that I felt like I lost control because once it kicks in its alot stronger than normal labor and very intense, but it gets the job done, for me at least, and alot quicker. I was just plain whooped by the time they induced me, I was in labor for 50 hrs for 1st son (7 hrs after induced) and for 42 with 2nd son (5 hrs after induced)but was in the early stages for my second for 2 days prior to active.
I REALLY hop this baby goes alot smoother if you know what I mean.

GOOD LUCK.

Sandra 23
EDD 08/24/04
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Sat May 29, 2004 10:07 pm

Beware of Cytotec (misoprostol): http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0 ... actice.php

I posted this link in "In the News" because it's not about PE but includes a quote from Dr. E. I don't know how many doctors are using this drug for induction, but I thought it was worth reposting the link in an induction thread.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat May 29, 2004 08:20 pm

Some of the options that are less invasive are things like "rough exams", stripping membranes... effectively the same thing and that can get things started. From that you can go home and wait to see if things worked. You can help things along a bit if you can motivate DH, the theory is that there are chemicals in human sperm that can promote ripening also [}:)].

Everything else beyond that is going to have you in the hospital. Gel (prostoglandins) on your cervix can help ripen it, which doesn't induce labor usually but gets your cervix ready to dilate. Sometimes they can also insert laminaria which are little sticks into the entrance of the cervix. Over time they absorb liquid and swell, pushing the opening wider. That is considered pretty gentle too.

Cervadil (sp?) is a pill that they break and place behind your cervix. This is an "off-label" use, ie. it's technically not what the drug was designed to do, but it can be very effective. The catch, some people are very sensitive to its effects so you need to be very carefully monitored.

After that, I think that you are looking at pitocin. Not necessarily recommended in terms of personal comfort but it can be very effective for getting good productive contractions. IMHO, only an amazon can do the pitocin without an epidural... I was ready to get up off the bed and find an anesthesiologist or I was going to jam the needle in my back myself.

The biggest deal is that you really don't want them to break your water until you are sufficiently well dilated that things look very good for you getting all the way to 10 cm. Once they take that step, they are committed to delivering that baby, usually by 12 hours, sometimes within 24 but he/she is coming out. If the induction isn't working that well, then if your amniotic fluid is still intact, you have the option (provided that your health is stable, no whacky BPs etc.) of taking a break and trying again later. It may seem draconian but the risk of infection is too great.

My own experience was with my first child where my water broke prematurely and I didn't go into labor straight away. I eventually did get going by myself (from a standing start I might add, no dilation, no effacement) but I kind of ran out of steam and then started with pitocin. Not comfortable, I prefer "my" contractions... short and sharp over the long undulations of pitocin. Ironically, they had to rupture my membranes artificially and boy, once all the liquid is gone, contractions hurt like a [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]. Either way, within about 4 hours it got me to the magic 10 cms and pushing.

Lots of luck, I hope things go really smoothly,

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Sat May 29, 2004 07:42 pm

They tried to induce me with a pill that was put into my cervix. It didn't work and the baby was in trouble so the did an emergency c-section. Good luck!

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!

mnmommy

Postby mnmommy » Sat May 29, 2004 07:38 pm

First, congrats on making it this far!

I have two quick things I can add...

I have a close friend who had Cervidel (Sp?) the gel, after her water broke at home and she stayed in the hospital. Her contractions came very close together and she never was able to push the baby out. During contractions she was a "fifty cent piece" and a "quarter" when resting. She had an e-CS. The same thing happened to her sister, so may be related to that and not the Cervidel, she also wanted NO pain meds which may have alleviated her pain, etc.

My water also broke at home at around 12:30, I had a Dr. apt at 2:00 and they started the smallest dose of Pitocin possible at 5:00 which started nice rhythmic contractions. They did become painful, and constant later but that was right before delivery!

I don't think that you will be able to have Pit and go home. It is something that would be managed at the hospital. My non-medical opinion would be to research the gel and give it a try!

Best of luck to you!

Stephanie

Madelyn 10/02 PE delivered at term
EDD "Taylor" 7/25/04

jenn122

Postby jenn122 » Sat May 29, 2004 06:40 pm

I was induced at 36wks with pitocin. They said I was having too many contractions on my own (However I couldnt feel them) to use the gel on my cervix. I was a fingertip dialated when they started pitocin and when I reached 1 centimeter they broke my water, which was very painful. Unfortunately my body didnt cooperate and after about 3 days I was still only at 'almost' 3 centimeters. Alayna started having decels and they had to do a c-section. I was on mag the whole time so to me it seems like the mag and pitocin kind of work against each other but who knows. That is just my theory :)

Hopefully others have more successful stories for you! Since you are closer to your due date your body will probably be more cooperative than I was. Good Luck!

Jennifer

EDD #2 August 4, 2004 - PIH

Alayna Rosetta June 27, 2001
born at 36wks due to severe preeclampsia
http://www.geocities.com/alaynarosetta

momathelete

Postby momathelete » Sat May 29, 2004 05:34 pm

I'm no help either. I had 3 c-scetions. I also wanted to add my luck to the mix!!!

Take care,

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Local Coordinator -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) 5 yrs old
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) 8 mns

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat May 29, 2004 01:52 pm

Kimberly,

Induction for me was a c-Section so, I don't have too much input for you... but, I wanted to wish the best of luck!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator

kfletcher

Inducing b/ of IUGR. What is the BEST METHOD??

Postby kfletcher » Sat May 29, 2004 01:35 pm

I am 2 days shy of being 38 weeks, 50% effaced and 1 centimeter dilated. I was diagnosed with IUGR and will be doing another u/s on tues to figure out what is causing the problem. Anyway more than likely I will be having an induction next week and wanted insight from someone that has gone through this.

What method did you find most effective?? I heard a stripping membranes and gel work really well. I don't want to be stuck in the hospital for the induction. I would like to have to doc give me something and then go home and wait for spontaneous labour start.

Does anyone have any suggestions, past experiences they can share. Much appreciated.

Kimberly 33
Second Preg/ Intrauterine insemination
37 +5days DD june 12

Return to “Ask the Experienced”