post-partum high BPs, PIH during pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : post-partum high BPs, PIH during pregnancy

Postby missgamecock » Fri Oct 02, 2009 00:24 am

It has always taken me at least 4 mos to recover just from the demands of pih/pe. That's why I take so long off after they are born. This last time, I am JUST getting back into the swing of things. Cate is 8 1/2 mos old!!! My pcp said it took about 9-10 mos just for her hormones to get back.

dbronson

Postby dbronson » Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:57 am

As far as being tired after PE, I was wrecked and I am four months post. Just got off BP meds about three weeks ago and still struggling in the gym. Also, i notoiced with my first when I had PE that weight did NOT want to come off. With my second with no PE it came off in six weeks. THis time I gained actually less, but I think it must be the PE that has something to do with it becasue I can not drop the weight and believe me I should be. It wasn just like my first pregnancy.

My point, I think PE puts your body through the ringer in more ways that we think. Good luck!

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Wed Sep 30, 2009 01:26 pm

No advice, but my experience.

1st pregnancy - it took me 16 weeks to get my BP back to normal and feel "right". I was on mediciaton that whole time - but I returned to work with no adverse affects after 6 weeks. (Not physically demanding job though)

2nd pregnancy - BP back to normal after 6 weeks and back at work as well - no issues there either.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:36 am

I'm still quite sore from delivery and can still feel stitches if I do too much. I think I have a lot of energy but it goes quickly. When my BPs jump around a lot, I feel sick, if they stay in one range I'm doing pretty good. I know if I have to pick up my 40-lb daughter its a struggle - and I try to make her walk as much as I can but I do have to lift her into the grocery cart, etc.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:38 pm

I didn't have any strength postpartum, so that may be one of the concerns -- PE can burn through muscle tissue, but until your pelvic floor's healed, weightlifting is probably not a brilliant idea -- and then, as Alexa says, your body takes time to normalize as your blood vessels and your plasma volume switch from their baby-supporting state to their postpartum one. One reason bp jumps around postpartum is that the placenta has been manipulating the relaxedness of your blood vessels, and when it stops and your body goes back to running things, it can overshoot in one direction or another.

Keep us posted as you're able. Recovery can be pretty hard with these pregnancies.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 07:51 pm

I am not an expert, but I do know that many of us after our pre-e pregnancies take a while to normalize. Many have bp issues afterwards--some for a short while, some for a long time. I think that small spikes like yours are probably fairly common since it takes a while for the body to return to normal.

kellyo19

post-partum high BPs, PIH during pregnancy

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 07:34 pm

I had PIH during pregnancy, my protein got up into 250s but I didn't meet PE criteria. I've been monitoring my BPs at home and overall they're dropping. During pregnancy I was getting into 140-150s/100-110s. Now 3.5 wks postpartum, I'm mostly 110-120s/80s, but once or twice a week I'm "catching" a BP of 130s/90s even though I don't feel sick. Sometimes my BP is as low as upper 90s/70s and then I feel sick - tired, weak, drained.

I am wondering what I should expect at my 6-wk check?

My OB doesn't want to see me until then unless I have problems... He did tell me the day before I delivered that he fully expected me to need 9-10 wks off, possibly up to 12-14 wks off from work, and when I returned there would be restrictions - either in duties or hours at work (my job is physically demanding). As of now I'm approved for 8 wks leave, once I have my 6-wk PP check and get re-evaluated, then we'll know for sure how long I need off. The OB is concerned that my physically demanding job will be too much for me (but he wouldn't go into details of what that meant). I did have restrictions at work for month of July and August meant partial to full bed rest until I had our son on Aug 28th. I know my stamina and strength aren't 100% yet (I can take a walk around 2 blocks or so and then I start to tire out).

Return to “Ask the Experienced”