Magnesium Sulfate Toxicity in Baby

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bookboarder

Re : Magnesium Sulfate Toxicity in Baby

Postby bookboarder » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Just wanted to update post-appointment....

The doctor basically mirrored what everyone here said. There isn't really any effective way other than to the mother's levels and make sure they remain at the lowest level within the therapeutic range. So, yeah, there's really no way to mitigate the effects on baby. Just hope and pray, I guess!

Thanks again for your help!

bookboarder

Postby bookboarder » Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:45 pm

Thanks so much! I will definitely report back after my appointment tomorrow.

Yeah, when he came out not breathing, it was just horrific. I can remember those few minutes like a movie that replays in my head. It was like all my hopes were crashing down in those minutes. Thank GOD he was able to be resuscitated relatively quickly (though it felt like ages), and did well once the Mag did wear off.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Sep 15, 2009 05:33 pm

Book,

They can only monitor your levels, as I'm aware, not babies levels. If your levels were too high, they'd find out with the blood draws and back you off it. MAG is released from the body in urine, as I understand it, and so kidney function may have something to do with your levels fluctuating. Especially if they are restricting fluids or you are just not outputting.

Weight of baby may or may not contribute. We have 1 lbs babies who's moms receive mag for weeks. They receive the same dosage regardless of their gestation. It's probably a big mix of preterm birth, immature lungs, mag, and the effects of preeclampsia, which can include a harsh environment in the uterus for baby in those last days/hours.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the mag. It's a necessary evil, and they have to dose you according to your need. A seizing, seizuring mommy is probably worse for baby than the mag is.

All our stories are traumatic to each of us, regardless of severity and gestation, and rightfully so. My daughter wasn't breathing either, and was resecutated at birth. Traumatic. I can still see it as though it was yesterday.

Let us know what your doc says about it - I'm interested in a professional opinion.

jhfleet

Postby jhfleet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 03:09 pm

I understand your concern. I was on mag for several days and the NICU said my son's levels were really high. Although like others have mentioned, I think that once the levels subside, the babies do ok- and really the problems breathing etc may not really be due to the mag but more the disease or premature lungs.

And acutally my mother, who is an obgyndoc, just told me about a very recent study that she read about-sorry I don't have a cite to it yet, that babies who do recieve mag (though the mom) in preterm delivery situations actually do better in terms of brain bleeds- so the conclusion of that study was that more needed to be looked at in terms of potential neuro benefits of mag on preemature babies.

bookboarder

Postby bookboarder » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:32 am

Oh, I realize the wasn't that small, but relative to his age he was considered pretty small. I would imagine the length of time I was on it, didn't help the situation. He was very lethargic and his levels were really, really high. I wonder if they just didn't really check my labs carefully enough to monitor the situation? I know I felt terrible the whole time I was on it and they did have to back off of it for a while as my labs were high as well. I will be asking the doctor tomorrow if there is anything we can do to help prevent the toxicity, but still reap the benefits of therapeutic levels, you know?

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:15 am

5 lbs 8.5 oz is actually a pretty good weight, considering a lot of pre-e babies are smaller than that due to fairly early delivery (and many of us have to have mag due to pre-e). So my guess is that though low birth weight probably doesn't help matters, it is most likely not the reason.

My son was 3lbs 15oz (born at just before 34 weeks), and I don't remember mag being much of an issue with him. I had been on it for a few days before delivering and during. I do remember one of the nurses in the NICU mentioned him being a bit lethargic most likely due to the mag, but not anything too major.

It all can be pretty scary though..so I completely understand!

bookboarder

Postby bookboarder » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 am

Thank you both so much for your help. I hope to discuss this tomorrow with my doctor. I know there are worse stories, but it was really a traumatic experience for me. :(

Heather - my son was 5 lb 8.5 oz when he was born. I wonder if their somewhat low weights had something to do with it?

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 am

It sounds like we had similar experiences... My 37-weeker was also limp and floppy at birth from the mag - and I didn't see him until he was over 30 hours old because he was in the NICU and I was in bed on mag - so I definitely think I can relate to your fears! It does seem like most babies do okay with it, though, so hopefully you wouldn't have trouble again if you need it for this baby. I don't know what they could have done differently to protect your firstborn from mag. I would definitely talk to your doctor and your pediatrician about your experience and your fears, hopefully they would have more ideas about why his levels were so high and what to do differently - if possible - with this pregnancy. Good luck and let us know what your doctors say!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Cute photo! Glad to hear you're hanging in there. Like you noticed with your son, Mag can have an effect on a newborn. Preeclampsia is hard on them too, so I'm not sure we can blame everything on the mag. We have ladies who have been on mag for several days and some for weeks. I was on it for 4 or 5 days and *I* toxed out on it for awhile, loosing much of my reflexes. They disconnected me from it and did more frequent bloodwork, as it was a fine line between seizure risk and mag toxcicity. When my levels dropped enough they put me right back on it. I had a micropreemie (not as micro as some of course), but she was lethargic and had hi levels.

It comes down to them having to treat you effectively. It's a risk versus benefit strategy. There are risks with mag. But the risk of worse outcomes for you and baby occur without mag. And remember that the Preeclampsia and early birth may have contributed to some of Aiden's issues after birth.

bookboarder

Magnesium Sulfate Toxicity in Baby

Postby bookboarder » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi! I'm hanging in over here and thought I'd ask you all this question since I don't see the doctor until Wednesday and I've been wondering about it. When I was induced with my son, I spent 34 hours in labor. I was on Magnesium Sulfate for about 20 hours of that (from what I can remember). When my son came was born, he was very limp and not breathing and was badly affected by the Magnesium. It was a terrifying and awful feeling not hearing any cry when he was born. I have a feeling I'm on my way to developing pre-e again (proteinuria and elevated BPs over the last 2 weeks), and I'm concerned about the Mag.

I know it's very important, but is there anything that can be done to prevent the levels of Mag from being so high in the baby? They drew my blood every couple of hours throughout my labor, but apparently they didn't catch just how much of it was getting to my son. I just hate the idea of delivering another limp, blue baby. I think it was even worse for me because he was whisked away from me while I was forced to lay in bed on the Mag for another 24 hours after he was born. It was all pretty traumatic since I didn't expect it at all. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”