Question about weaning off labetalol

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
dbronson

Re : Question about weaning off labetalol

Postby dbronson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:30 am

i just came off labetelol and that was exactly how they made me do it.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 08:46 pm

Thanks all! I will go ahead and give it a try. I guess it is a good sign that I was not having big jumps in my pressures during those times of day that my med would have most likely wore off. I hope this goes well....next step will be to stop hctz if my pressures remain normal off labetalol.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 02:48 pm

I had to go off labetalol cold turkey because I was having an asthmatic allergic reaction to it. I could barely take a full breath & felt winded just from speaking a full sentence. It was scary. So in addition to worrying about breathing I scared myself on Dr. Google worrying about going off beta blockers too quickly! UGH! But I was fine after a couple of days & could breathe again without issue.

So basically I'm saying following the weaning schedule set by your cardio is probably just fine since my Dr. had me quit cold turkey (because staying on them would have been worse). :)

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:55 am

I think 100 mg. is the lowest dose. My bp's during my last pregnancy were dropping so low on 100 mgs. the mfm doctor told me to go off it completely right away.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:51 am

I was weaned in a similar fashion. I think that I went down to 100mg once a day and then to nothing.

Good luck!

alexa5

Question about weaning off labetalol

Postby alexa5 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 09:33 am

I am 7 1/2 postpartum, and have been on labetalol and hctz since a couple of weeks after delivery due to bp remaining elevated postpartum.

My pressures have come down quite a bit, so my cardiologist and I have been working on weaning off labetalol. I started at 400 mg twice a day, so in the weaning process we went to 200 mg twice a day for a few weeks with good results, and then 100 mg twice a day with good results.

We are now going to stop the labetalol, so my question is: what I described above, is that a fairly typical weaning pattern? I just want to make sure it seems okay to go from 100 mg twice a day to taking no labetalol. I trust my cardiologist, so I am not questioning his advice, just wanting to get some info from other people that have weaned off this med. I have read that you have to wean off beta blockers carefully, so just want to avoid rebound pressures.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”