Does mild preeclampsia change delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
dbronson

Re : Does mild preeclampsia change delivery?

Postby dbronson » Thu Aug 27, 2009 09:38 am

I had Mag for my first for three days. When they are loading you up, you might feel very warm, naseaous, just funky. However, a lot of ladies say the relief they feel from being on Mag totally outweighs how they felt before they went on.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:57 am

I think I was considered "Mild" PE as well. I did bed rest for a short time before delivery and the only thing that was different about delivery for me (in relation to PE) was that I had to labor on my left side all day to keep my BP down.

I was induced and delivered vaginally - my son was stuck after 2 hours of pushing though - so I did have vacuum extraction with him.

PIH with second child, and was still induced b/c BP was getting higher and higher. And, I had a history of very high BP post partum, so we were trying to avoid all that.

Both of my kids were induced right about 38 weeks and were 7lbs2oz and 7lbs3oz. I'm very grateful to have been induced - all the rules change once PE is thrown into the mix!

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 00:50 am

My first doc used magnesium sulfate when I was *just* diagnostic with mild PE, my second doc was more willing to hold mag in reserve unless I showed signs that worried her. It seems *very* doctor dependent. Some women - like me - have nasty short-term side effects like nausea, muscle weakness, mental fuzziness... but some women feel *better* on it... and some women don't even notice. So don't be scared if you have to have it, but be prepared that it might be unpleasant.

And most definitely yes, PE is a good reason for an induction. Here is a link to the HYPITAT study ElizabethB/Megan noted http://www.studies-obsgyn.nl/home/page.asp?page_id=357
Their research looked at induction at 36+ weeks - you might ask your docs if they might induce you earlier than 39 weeks, based on this research.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Mag is magnesium sulfate & it's used during labor (and sometimes before labor and/or after delivery) if your BP is very high to prevent seizures. You would probably only need it if your BP's raised significantly and/or if your PE became severe. And some OB's just don't seem to use it as much as others.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:32 pm

I had mag with my first - severe pe. Not with my last two - severe pih and mild pe.

katyordy

Postby katyordy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 08:36 pm

Tell me more about MAG- when do i need that? Ahh totally new acronym that i have no idea what it measns?

Thanks so much you all- bed rest gives you way to much research time!

z1ggy23

Postby z1ggy23 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 05:58 pm

with DD1 I was mild PE and was induced at 38 weeks. I wasn't on Mag and it took some persistence (2 rounds of cervadil and pitocin) but was able to deliver vaginally (with Epidural). I wasn't even dilated AT ALL when we started the induction. With this one we are going to try vaginal first and then only go to a c-section as a last resort.

katyordy

Postby katyordy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:18 am

Thank you so much for the information- especially about induction. People unfamiliar with PE keep telling me to avoid induction- so it is good to have some research that seems to back up the doctors!

To answer the question regarding my treatment- yes i did one urine test last week and had a 420 count. I will ask about having another one when i go Wednesday- since i noticed on this board people seem to be able to tell its progression by their counts. The other reason they are calling it mild is because the highest my BP gets is 130/80. However, I started with low 90s so the 40 point jump and some extreme swelling i had a couple weeks ago led them to send me for the urine test. Luckily by BP is now down in the 110-120s/80. Not sure what that means- but i am happy about it! :)

Thanks again for the information! It is hard to know what to ask of the doctor- and for the doctors this is common practice so i understand them not realizing what all they need to explain to me...

elizabethb

Postby elizabethb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 am

I agree with what the other gals have already said. One thing to add in is that inductions tend to go a little more quickly with PE. I don't know if anyone knows why this is but there is an successful induction probability score called a Bishop's score and you get I believe 1 extra point (more points the better) if you have PE.
I was induced at 37 weeks with a non-favorable cervix and it was successful.

One more thing, there was a recent study reported in the Lancet titled "Induction of labour versus expectant monitoring for gestational hypertension or mild pre-eclampsia after 36 weeks' gestation.(HYPITAT): a multicentre, open-label randomised controlled trial".

Results:
Induction of labour is associated with improved maternal outcome and should be advised for women with mild hypertensive disease beyond 37 weeks' gestation

Hope this helps.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 am

Welcome! It helps to be willing to do whatever it takes to have a healthy mom & baby so I'm glad to hear you are open. :)

Having mild PE probably won't change much as far as a plan for delivery - you should still be able to have a vaginal delivery & having an epidural tends to lower BP anyway. At your next appt. I would just ask your Dr. is there anything that will be done differently at delivery with my PE diagnosis & what his/her plan for delivery is. Sometimes Dr's don't answer questions because we don't think to ask them straight out.

Are you having NST's, u/s, bloodwork & 24 hour urine tests done pretty regularly?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”