Do I go to L&D again?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re : Do I go to L&D again?

Postby rachelc » Tue Jun 18, 638622 12:32 am

I am glad that your doctor is watching you so carefully. You are far enough along now where the baby will do well outside the womb even if a little help is needed at first. With pe and related disorders things can change very quickly and the only way to tell for sure if is to get yourself in and get the tests done. I know for myself I was fine one day (normal labs) and by the next I had full blown HELLP syndrome. Don't take this the wrong way but, I think that your husband may be a little naive when it comes to this. You should definitely listen to your doctor.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Mon Jun 17, 638622 7:23 pm

went in yesterday to clinic - and the OB chewed me out - and probably rightly so. My labs still came back negative yesterday and baby is still very active so we're okay for now. My BPs yesterday were 120s/80s with a few 120/90s. I was thinking of going in Sat when my BPs were consistently high but my hubby convinced me all they'd do is stick me on a monitor, do a blood test and urine dip, and then send me home like the last 4 times, and the weekend OBs are fellows w/ minimal training in complications... so I stayed home and kept checking BPs every 1-2 hrs. When my OB saw my log from Saturday he said if he'd been on duty he would have sent me to NICU to deliver even if baby was still okay - because the high BPs weren't good for me and were probably affecting the placenta - and being at almost 36 wks Saturday we'd likely both be better off delivered. (I asked about the newbie OBs and he said in case of complications like mine they are sternly instructed to call an experienced OB at the NICU 1 hr away for guidance and instructions, and if I feel they haven't I'm to demand they call that hospital) And then Sunday with my all-day headache adn feeling sick - and labile BPs - he probably would have had me on monitors all day and I possibly would have delivered too. But I was ok yesterday so he decided to give us a few more days. I have NST, BPP, ultrasound, labs on Wed morning... but as I've lost 5 lbs in last 1.5 wks the OB thinks something's up (but not enough to do tests yesterday)... I'm also at risk for IUGR besides PE (I'm currently PIH).

My new directions: if I feel sick no matter what BPs are, get my tail into clinic or L&D for monitoring, I'm not to micromanage it at home. If I do check and find high BP where top # is in 130s or bottom # in 90-110s, rest for half hr, if they don't come down significantly (8-10 pts) with rest, get my tail into clinic or L&D.

I told my husband all this and he thinks OB is over-reacting... but I told him I'm not listening to him anymore until he's gone in with me and gotten his tail chewed out too. ;) But - we've gotten to 36wks 2 days and I guess I better not take any more chances...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri Jun 07, 638622 1:33 am

Keep us posted as you're able, Kelly.

kellyo19

Postby kellyo19 » Thu Jun 06, 638622 12:51 am

I didn't go in this weekend - but I did call the OB this morning and they're having me come to clinic at 10:30.

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Jun 05, 638622 2:40 am

Like Sush said, preeclampsia can come on quickly - very quickly. We've had members that were fine at a morning appt and in full blown HELLP that evening. I don't say that to scare you, but just to let you know that you're not wasting your time in L&D - even though I'm sure it can feel that way.

If in your shoes, I would absolutely go in. In fact, I hope you're there already! Please let us know how you are doing.

susheli

Postby susheli » Sun May 26, 638622 12:29 am

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. With those bps and especially the headache you describe I would go in to L&D if I were you. PE can happen quickly. I know going in is no fun at all, but it's so much better to be careful than risk anything. Please let us know how you are when you can.

kellyo19

Do I go to L&D again?

Postby kellyo19 » Sat May 25, 638622 9:17 pm

Its Sunday morning, my BPs are 130/102, pulse in 100-112 range. I'm 36 wks today. I have a headache (much like the last 8 wks but tylenol isn't helping much today), very short of breath, some edema (woke up with it in legs up to my knees). I'm officially prenancy-induced hypertension, my 24-hr test was in 140s on Thursday so no PE yet. OB hopes I make it 1 more week, then he'll induce due to labile BPs (130s/100s in morning, 120s/80-90s afternoon, 130s/100-110s evening).

Yesterday I was consistently in 130s/100s all day, I think I had 1 low reading of 128/88, and I had one weird reading of 152/112 (my highest systolic yet), but rest were 130s/100s. I stayed in bed most of the day, checked it every 45-90 mins by sitting on edge of bed, waiting about 5 mins, and rechecking it. My OB said this last wk to do mostly bedrest, up for meals and bathroom and short periods of time, otherwise recline or lay down on left side, did okay me to work from home on laptop. I asked about BPs and he said if I felt sick and BPs were up and not going down with rest (especially the bottom #), to call in.

Every time I call in on weekend, the OB on call (usually a fellow) has me come in, they do labs (results = no HELLP, nothing on dipstick), monitor me for 2-3 hrs, and send me home with orders to call my regular OB Monday morning, and then he has me come in, repeat labs and do a non-stress test, and then he sends me home with orders to continue bedrest. So basically nothing really changes. Baby is continuing to move just fine.

I'm beginning to wonder if its worth going into L&D on weekends... but this is the first weekend where my BPs stayed up all day, they usually dip in afternoon. Is this a change significant enough to warrant a call to L&D?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”