Hospitalized due to Pre-eclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
atvlady

Re : Hospitalized due to Pre-eclampsia

Postby atvlady » Mon Nov 04, 638622 6:20 pm

Yes. Tell your drs though

meekness

Postby meekness » Mon Nov 04, 638622 6:17 pm

Is it possible to experience the right side pain after delivery?? Could one's liver fail during this time???

love_the_daschies

Postby love_the_daschies » Tue Aug 13, 638622 12:42 pm

I asked to do another 24 hour urine at the end of May (4 weeks after delivery) - the MFM said it was highly unlikely to continue spilling protein. She said an alternative was to do a SPOT urine protein ratio of a urine sample. This would tell if protein was elavated then I could do a 24 hour to see by how much. (This is the doctor I trust by the way - not my current OB who I feel is waiting to hand me off).

Maybe you could ask for a SPOT analysis? It can be done off any random urine sample and isn't like the dipstick so it isn't affected by how dilute your urine is. When I was first admitted the hosp I dipped negative - but my SPOT off the same sample came back as high protein. The started a 24 hour and it was ~ 650 mg.

Congrats on your new one and how well he is doing!

meekness

Postby meekness » Tue Aug 13, 638622 12:07 pm

quote:Originally posted by Guinevere

Chiming in to agree with alexa5 -- in the pg when I was sickest (baby #2 -- severe PE and then eclamptic seizures before delivery), the Labetalol by itself just wasn't doing the trick to bring down my pressures at all. Even a couple of weeks post-delivery, my BP remained scarily high (stroke range.) After adding the HCTZ to the mix, though, my BP not only came WAY down (which really helped with the awful migraines I had been experiencing PP), but I lost 30 lbs. of water weight inside of a week, too, which I think had been a major contributor to my complications. FWIW, I continued to nurse (well, pump bm, lol) while on both these meds w/o issues.

Congrats on your sweet baby boy; hope everything continues to go smoothly with his NICU stay! :D

Warmly,
Kristin

Kristin, thanks for chiming in. I'm going to ask for a script of HCTZ on Wednesday when I see my doctor. I lost 26 pounds since 7/24 and still continue to lose. I carried a lot of fluid due to the pregnancy.

What were your pressures post-delivery?? And, what dosage of Lebet and HCTZ did your doctor have you on? Are you still on the meds??

Please share. Oh, and thanks for the congrats! I really appreciate it.

meekness

Postby meekness » Tue Aug 13, 638622 10:51 am

quote:Originally posted by atvlady

I had Darren on June 6 this year (she did not live however :( ) and I done a 24 hour urine week before and am spilling 193 still yet. I talked to my high risk today and he said going back on Aldomet was very wise. He said the preeclampsia still could me in my system. But it is weird now, I can tell it when my BP is up. I hav to repeat my 24 hour once a month now per his orders to keep a track on the spills.

I am so sorry for your loss (hugss!!). Your daughter was born on my sister's birthday :( - I think I am going to request another 24 hour urine just to see where I am.

guinevere

Postby guinevere » Sat Aug 03, 638622 6:23 am

Chiming in to agree with alexa5 -- in the pg when I was sickest (baby #2 -- severe PE and then eclamptic seizures before delivery), the Labetalol by itself just wasn't doing the trick to bring down my pressures at all. Even a couple of weeks post-delivery, my BP remained scarily high (stroke range.) After adding the HCTZ to the mix, though, my BP not only came WAY down (which really helped with the awful migraines I had been experiencing PP), but I lost 30 lbs. of water weight inside of a week, too, which I think had been a major contributor to my complications. FWIW, I continued to nurse (well, pump bm, lol) while on both these meds w/o issues.

Congrats on your sweet baby boy; hope everything continues to go smoothly with his NICU stay! :D

Warmly,
Kristin

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Fri Aug 02, 638622 8:29 pm

I answered your other thread, but noticed what meds you were on here, so wanted to say that adding the HCTZ to the labetalol really helped lower my pressures. I don't know if your docs are interested in trying that but it is an option, and you might not need labetalol 3 times a day that way.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Jul 23, 638622 10:39 pm

I am like you meekness....when I was in the hospital they kept asking me if I had a headache, spots, etc. and I had none but after I had Darren did it all come forward. That is when I felt the effects of the magnesium sulfate also. I had none of the stuff they were asking me if i had until after she was born. WEIRD LOL

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Tue Jul 23, 638622 10:36 pm

I had Darren on June 6 this year (she did not live however :( ) and I done a 24 hour urine week before and am spilling 193 still yet. I talked to my high risk today and he said going back on Aldomet was very wise. He said the preeclampsia still could me in my system. But it is weird now, I can tell it when my BP is up. I hav to repeat my 24 hour once a month now per his orders to keep a track on the spills.

meekness

Postby meekness » Tue Jul 23, 638622 10:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by Sonja

Congratulations on the birth of your little one - I am so glad that he is doing well.

It is still important to be on the watch for pre-e symptoms as pre-e can strike after your baby is delivered (up to 6 weeks afterwards, although your chances go down each day). The most common symptom that I have heard of after delivery is a really bad headache, so be sure to report it to your doctor if anything comes up.

As for when your bp will go down, I can't really answer that. Some gals have their bp go down right away, some are on meds for weeks or months, and some have to continue meds for years or forever. This is something that you will have to keep on top of with your doctors.

Enjoy your new little one and take care of yourself.

Thanks Sonja - and you're right - I have noticed terrible headaches since I delivered. I didn't have headaches beforehand, so it's scaring me.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”