Less than perfect OB appointment already at 15w5d

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jamie w

Re : Less than perfect OB appointment already at 15w5d

Postby jamie w » Fri Jul 30, 638619 2:07 pm

Sometimes restless legs can be caused by anemia. When was the last time they checked your levels?

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Mon Jul 19, 638619 10:40 pm

When I went into HELLP my bp was 239/136 and I did not feel anything from it being that bad. I was walking around like nothing was wrong, and cleaning house. My drs insisted that I had HBP before I got pregnant but everytime I went to the dr it was always below 120/80. Now I am checking it 3 times a day, per drs orders. If you are not sure, call the dr back and ask. Never be afraid to ask in pregnancy...TRUST ME:) Good luck and keep us posted.

rachelsmommy

Postby rachelsmommy » Thu Jul 08, 638619 4:50 pm

I had high bp starting at 12 weeks and they believe it was unmasked chronic hypertension. They put me on bp meds and my blood pressure has gotten better over time. I am 33 weeks now and am still doing fine. So hopefully they will be able to do the same for you. It's great that your doctor is being vigilant. I agree with the others that it is very possible to have high blood pressure and not know it.

patty

Postby patty » Sat Jun 26, 638619 1:50 pm

I second the advice that not sleeping can raise your bp. I had a spike early one time and it was due to being up all night with a sick child. Can they safely give you meds for the restless leg while pregnant? I know they gave me ambien when I was on hospital bedrest and I have heard that tylenol pm is safe. I would ask your doctor if it there is anything you can do safely to get some sleep.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat Jun 26, 638619 10:38 am

Did you tell the OB about the sleep issue? Not sleeping can effect your bp (and your life.) Also, it can be a sign of other issues (thyroid etc.) So the not sleeping itself needs to be addressed.

I am glad to hear the the OB is running the tests. It sounds like she wants to be on top of your situation to catch anything as it shows up.

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Jun 26, 638619 5:40 am

Susannah,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having bp issues already, but like Trish said - this may be chronic hypertension. Not that that is a great thing but, like she also said, you still have a great chance of making it to term. Women with chronic hypertension stand a 25% chance of developing superimposed preeclampsia. The good news is that if that's what you're dealing with - it's been caught and hopefully will be able to be controlled. Did your OB mention the possibility of meds? Also, is your OB a high-risk one? If not, I'd be calling today to be scheduled with one for a consult. An MFM may be better able to treat your chronic hypertension.

When do you go back?

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Jun 26, 638619 1:47 am

Unfortunately with high BP you don't necessarily feel bad. I went to a regular GYN appt when my 2nd daughter was about 18 months old & found out my BP was like 160/100 - and who knows how long it had been that high! I had no idea & hadn't ever had high BP except during pregnancy. I had to go off BCP & start taking BP meds. :(

If your BP goes up before 20 weeks it's usually considered "unmasked" hypertension. She may want you to go on BP meds at some point. But, you still have a good chance of getting to term, it may just involve meds & bedrest. I will keep you in my thoughts. (((HUGS)))

slassetter

Less than perfect OB appointment already at 15w5d

Postby slassetter » Sat Jun 26, 638619 1:25 am

Well I had an OB appointment today and it has been a miserable day.

First, I am not sleeping at all. I think I have restless legs at night and not sleeping can make anyone miserable, not just pg. women.

Secondly, my blood pressure is already going up. The doc. I saw today seems to think that the reading they got today was my baseline blood pressure, in other words, what it is everyday. But I kinda think that if my bp was 150/90 everyday then I would know it, like I would feel bad or something. Anyway, she acted unconcerned, but at the same time ordered tons of blood work and a 24-hour urine. All of the same things I went through while on bedrest for my bp with DD.

I am not on bedrest yet but at this point the odds dont seem in my favor. I am terribly emotional about it today, because I really wanted to be able to enjoy this pregnancy and not have to go through this again.

Please pray for me as I try to stay healthy for me and my baby. And for my emotions that I can control them and try to stay strong.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”