Pre-eclampsia symptoms at 15 weeks ? too early?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelsmommy

Re : Pre-eclampsia symptoms at 15 weeks ? too early?

Postby rachelsmommy » Fri May 17, 638616 10:45 pm

CHT is chronic hypertension.

I was told, because I had the same experience, that if it happens before 20 weeks it is not pre-e. It is chronic hypertention. That is how I was diagnosed with CHT. I had high bp at 12 weeks and after. They did monitor my blood pressure much more closely and I have to take it at home 4 times a day.

alisonuk

Postby alisonuk » Fri May 17, 638616 7:50 pm

Thank you so much - what is CHT?

So if it is just chronic hypertension would you of thought I should have weekly BP's done or something like that? They haven'requested anything like that which I just feel is odd.

Also would you be able to tell if pre-eclampsia onset isn't til 20+ weeks how does that explain women losing their babies due to PE at 20 weeks?

I hope that doesn't sound abrupt its not meant to be - I just don't fully understand PE and so have lots of Q's.

Thanks again for your reply x

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Fri May 17, 638616 5:22 pm

Alison,
Sorry you are dealing with this. Pre-e typically isn't diagnosed prior to 20 weeks. What may be happening is an unmasking of chronic hypertension--this is common during pregnancy and typically what docs diagnose when you see a BP rise before 20 weeks. Of course, CHT increases your risk of what is called "superimposed" pre-e. The science gals can give you more information since they can explain better than me.

As for the headaches, I had terrible migraine-type headaches in the late first tri and most of the 2nd tri with my first DD. I think they were a combination of hormone changes and blood volume increase since my headaches (I have a history) are vascular in nature.

alisonuk

Pre-eclampsia symptoms at 15 weeks ? too early?

Postby alisonuk » Fri May 17, 638616 2:01 pm

Hello

Please can you give me your advice.

My name is Alison (live in the UK) had mild PET in my first pregnancy - wasn't too serious. Baby was born at 40+4 via emergency c-section 4.4kg/9lb 11oz.

This time round I started getting very similar pounding headaches about 12 days ago

Booking in BP - 100/50
seen as a walk in to check BP 126/85
Yesterday 130/75 - trace protein in urine.

I take paracetamol with no effect. Some visual disturbance - but this is not new to me and am under neuro for some investigations for that - had an MRI booked which I haven't had as I found out I was pregnant.

The outcome of my consultant appointment yesterday - was to have urgent MRI and neuro consult. They weren't concerned about my BP. I am just so confused. I feel like its pre-eclampsia like I had last time but keep getting told its too early.
Called my MW and she hasn't got back to me.

What would you do? I feel so confused as I feel like they should be more worried about my BP than they are.

Thanks so mich for reading this xxx

Alison x

Return to “Ask the Experienced”