Pre-eclampsia symptoms at 15 weeks ? too early?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mrs.spit

Re : Pre-eclampsia symptoms at 15 weeks ? too early?

Postby mrs.spit » Thu Jun 20, 638616 4:02 am

Hoping for you. Do keep in touch, and we'll just hope that you don't need us, and you have a very long, very boring pregnancy.

alisonuk

Postby alisonuk » Sun Jun 09, 638616 4:17 am

Thank you so much - that was very comprehensive and now I understand why they are not concerned about PE. I really appreciatte you taking the time to explain that.
I just wish the MW or consultant had done the same.

I have no idea quite what they want to do as the MW I saw yesterday said not to bother seeing my MW wednesday for my 16 week check up and so won't be seen until 20 weeks by a MW or my consultant which I suppose makes sense now.

Thank you - I feel even more relaxed about it now.

Fingers crossed its just hormones causing the headaches and nosebleeds.

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Sat Jun 08, 638616 4:38 pm

Hi Alison:

Perhaps it might be useful if we put it this way - for a diagnosis of PE, we need 2 things 1. 2 BPs taken 6 hours apart, that are higher than 140/90 AND 300mg of protein measured in urine, using a 24 hour urine test. Additionally, all of that needs to happen after the 20th week of pregnancy. So, no, according to those guidelines you don't qualify.

The reason for week 20 is somewhat simple - after about 20 weeks the placenta really starts to work hard in a pregnancy. In those of us with pre-e, that placenta is very shallowly implanted, so as the baby needs more blood to flow through it, to help them grow, our bodies have to ratchet up our blood pressure to try and get the placenta to push more blood though it. The BP increase is hard on kidneys and other organs, and in addition to this, the processes that cause our BPs to go up can cause extra problems - brain swelling and the like, but everything starts with a placenta that is shallowly implanted at conception. Imagine it like a garden hose that is leaking at the faucet. You are only getting some of the flow into the house, the rest is sprayed on the ground. To get enough water out the sprayer end, you need to turn up the water pressure, you get more water on the ground, but you also get more water through the hose. Trying to push more water out of the leaking faucet damages the faucet, the hose and the water lines.

Yes, you are right, a few women - like me, start having problems right at the 20 week mark. It doesn't happen sooner than that, because the baby isn't drawing enough through the placenta to cause problems. For what it's worth, with very late onset PE in a pregnancy, the subsequent recurrence rate is about 10%. Which does not mean that you shouldn't be followed closely, and watched carefully. Absolutely you should. But, hopefully, and statistically, you have lots of baking time left.

I think your doc has a good plan. Take a look at the signs and symptoms page, just to refresh yourself, and obviously call in to your doc or midwife if you are at all concerned.

Keep us updated.

alisonuk

Postby alisonuk » Sat Jun 08, 638616 2:53 pm

Thank you - Yes I suppose an MRI would be useful to rule out anything sinister.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Thu May 30, 638616 12:10 am

I'd go with the MRI. It could be a neurological thing causing the headaches, which cause pain-induced temporary high-BP, or something like that. It isn't impossible that it's PE, but I'd sure want to rule out other things first (like, brain cancer? or a brain blood clot?, or encephalitis?, or other really weird thing like new allergies that cause migraines), but I'm not a doc.

alisonuk

Postby alisonuk » Wed May 29, 638616 2:38 pm

Thank You both for your replies. I had to ring labour ward today as was whilst we were out today I got sudden onset of headache and then a nasty nosebleed straight away. Felt like my head was going to explode. They got me in and did BP which was 120/70 and no protein in urine. Have been to told that they think the headaches and nose bleeds are not related to pregnancy and to see my GP next week and to have my brain/ spine MRI as planned to rule out neuro stuff.

Very confusing as it feels exactly the same but I have been told by all the medical bods its IMPOSSIBLE for this to be PE.

Still confused but happy that BP is down - and got to hear babies heartbeat which was very reassuring.

MW has said she will take bloods for PE at 28 weeks to rule it out.

Not sure I can ask for anymore to be done I suppose.

Thanks again everyone - you have been very helpful.

Love Alison x

rachelsmommy

Postby rachelsmommy » Sat May 18, 638616 5:50 pm

Mine didn't turn into pre-e with this pregnancy yet and I'm 29 weeks. With my first, I had severe pre-e and delivered my daughter at 28 weeks.

rachelsmommy

Postby rachelsmommy » Sat May 18, 638616 5:48 pm

Mine didn't turn into pre-e with this pregnancy yet and I'm 29 weeks. With my first, I had severe pre-e and delivered my daughter at 28 weeks.

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Sat May 18, 638616 4:05 am

No offense taken!

As I said, I'm not one of the "science gals", so I probably haven't--and wont'--explain it well, but developing pre-e before 20 weeks is extremely rare. That is not to say that it does not happen; we have posters on these boards who are examples of it, unfortunately. BUT it is very rare. More thank likely, an increase in BP before 20 weeks is attributable to unmasked CTH rather than pre-e.

Does that mean you SHOULDN'T raise your concerns to medical professionals? NO! If you're worried, always, always, always call your MW/consultant/whomever.

alisonuk

Postby alisonuk » Fri May 17, 638616 11:25 pm

Thank you for your reply - did it turn into PE?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”