Back from L&D update...vent at bottom

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : Back from L&D update...vent at bottom

Postby trish » Sun Jul 11, 638613 9:49 am

I've never just headed up to L&D. I used to call my OB and they say head over to get checked out. Since it's still during office hours can you just go see your OB? He might still send you over but might just be able to figure something out and/or order labs from the office. But if my OB wanted labs STAT she sent me to L&D.

Good luck!

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Jul 11, 638613 9:48 am

no idea I'm in london :) Here we ring the ward and then they tell you to come in "to be sure" 99% of the time

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Sun Jul 11, 638613 8:59 am

Yeah that's true. I would tell you to go in. So I guess I'll head up there. Do I have to call before I go or just head up there?

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Jul 11, 638613 8:52 am

You are not a hypochondriac. With your history and a debilitating headache with high bp readings and gastric pain what would you say if it was one of us? You would say get thee to L&D pronto :) At least if you go and get checked over you will not be worried all day tomorrow and can concentrate on great shots.

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Sun Jul 11, 638613 7:30 am

Thanks ladies.

The teeth hurting part was the headache throbbing so bad it like pulsated only a couple of times into my top teeth. It was just throbbing very bad from the top of my head down. So glad it didn't last long or there's no way I could have dealt with it. And I have a pretty high pain tolerance.

I don''t have any sinus problems right now so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. To me it seems BP related. I came out and checked my BP after I went to the bathroom and my top number was 144. So maybe that has something to do with it. It was so bad I sat on the couch contemplating whether or not to go into L&D. The thought is still up in the air now. The pain I was feeling in my upper abdomen a few weeks ago has come back today. The thing is it's on my upper left not right. But the "type" of pain feels the same as my liver did with my son. Also my swelling in my feet has gotten so bad over the past couple days. I'm booked to photograph a wedding tomorrow and the shoes I wore last week to another wedding won't even fit. So I have no idea what shoes I'm going to wear tomorrow. I bought these specifically for these weddings I'm photographing b/c they're comfortable. Well, were comfortable.

With all this crap going on do you all think I should go into L&D to be seen today? Tomorrow I'll be at that wedding most of the day on my feet "working" so I'm concerned with the symptoms I'm having. What would you do if you were me? I hate going in to L&D feeling like a darn hypochondriac.

Thanks!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Jul 11, 638613 3:28 am

My teeth hurt with Kirsten and Cate this time around at delivery and I did not have a sinus infection when I delivered. I did have THE headache.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Jul 11, 638613 3:07 am

The top teeth hurting sounds like sinus to me. That's always how I knew I had a sinus infection. But certainly we're not Dr's so I'd give OB a call. My PE headache felt like squeezing pressure all over my head - nothing like any headache I'd ever had (but I've never had migraines & many people describe it as a *really* bad migraine).

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Jul 10, 638613 11:05 pm

Lots of things can cause a headache, but if you're pregnant the safest thing to do is have one of the *real* experts in L&D rule out the possibility that it's cerebral edema.

Cerebral edema goes along with preeclampsia, and seems strongly correlated to the seizures of eclampsia. It does not necessarily move in lockstep with blood pressure or with swelling elsewhere in the body, because it's caused by a particular chemical thing that only happens in the brain.

In your shoes I would want bloodwork and a thorough check from a doc sooner rather than later. A lot of our posters have gotten MRIs for headaches given their other symptoms and histories, to rule out cerebral edema.

Keep us posted as you're able.

jokell2

Back from L&D update...vent at bottom

Postby jokell2 » Sat Jul 10, 638613 4:24 pm

I wanted to see if any of you experience this. Yesterday evening around 8:00 I had to take Tylenol for a bad headache I was having. In the middle of the night I woke up to pee and as soon as I got out of bed my head started throbbing so, so bad that it even made my top teeth hurt. I also noticed my heart was pounding pretty hard and fast. This was at 3:30 this morning. After I peed I took another dose of Tylenol but the headache already was not as bad as when I first woke up. It was scary bad when I first got out of bed.

Then I remembered yesterday I was taking a nap on the couch and UPS rang my doorbell and woke me up. When I got up to get the door my head was hurting but it slowly went away on its own until yesterday evening when it came back and I took my first dose of Tylenol.

What causes this? My BP has been rising since 20 weeks. Yesterday the highest was 143/86 and 138/91. Is it possibly from low blood pressure while sleeping then from getting up the drastic change in BP so quick?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”