Back from L&D update...vent at bottom

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : Back from L&D update...vent at bottom

Postby trish » Sun Oct 22, 638615 7:40 pm

I'm glad to hear you are feeling more at ease now and that labs look good so far! :) It's so reassuring to see baby - I never minded so many u/s (even though I had to pay my $40 co-pay everytime I had one). @@

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun Oct 22, 638615 5:38 pm

So will your peri. take over your care or suggest another OB if you there are more questionable things?

I do understand that it may be a sticky situation for them. When I asked the MFM to deliver if necessary when my reg. OB was on vacation he told me there were good doctors at my community hospital. Then I told him the last time a peri. had called and said I needed to be delivered that night the house dr. sent me home instead. He pondered that and agreed to deliver if necessary. However, he said "You need to tell Dr. X that this is your idea. If he thinks I'm "patient stealing" he will never refer another patient to me again".

Is your peri. on staff at the same hospital your OB is in case you have any problems later?

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Oct 22, 638615 3:11 pm

Phew :) Was feeling really guilty for encouraging you to go to that torturous L&D visit! I think there should be more people skills than academic requirements for med school entry I really really do

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Sun Oct 22, 638615 2:06 pm

Thanks Trish!

I went to my appt. this morning with peri. He was very nice and on the same page as me. He thought the Dr. handled it wrong Friday too. Well he said it "wasn't the best way to handle the situation." He has heard of issues before with him with his other patients. So he ordered a 24 hour urine for me to start tomorrow so it will be back in time for my Thurs. appt. with the OB. He also called the lab and got my results from Friday and went over them with me. Everything looks normal on them so far. He said if my urine comes back abnormal then I would be dx with preeclampsia again and would need more frequent monitoring and tests. Right now he just dx as hypertension complicating pregnancy. So far baby looks great and he said the high blood pressures I've been having doesn't seem to be affecting him (baby) at this stage. Baby weighs about 1lb 6oz and he looks so sweet on ultrasound. I could see his little nose and mouth so well today! The umbilical blood flow looks good too and she said I have about 13cm amniotic fluid. He said with my history of PE I have every right to be overly concerned and said if I developed any concerning symptoms be seen right away. He said it's better for me to go in and there be nothing wrong than sitting at home when there is something wrong. I really like him. He's super easy to talk to and very understanding. I only wish I could see him all the time. I do have another appointment in 3 weeks for ultrasound but if urine comes back as dx then I'll go in sooner than that.

So all in all I'm happy with how it went today. He made me feel more at ease and he was so much more understanding of my concerns.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Oct 22, 638615 12:24 am

It totally varies on how often or when to start NST's & U/S. Some OB's don't start NST's until after 30-32 weeks but others start them about 26-28 weeks. It depends on when they consider babies are reactive enough for them to be valid I think. Some do them every week & as you get further along or there are concerns, even 2 times a week.

I think I started NST's about 28 weeks. I had U/S every 4 weeks & about 30 weeks or so went to having them every 2 weeks & they started doing BPP's (an U/S where they are looking for baby to "pass" certain criteria like practice breathing etc.)

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Wed Aug 04, 638613 9:02 am

Good for you! It's not that I don't want to fight or be assertive, it's that I don't want to have to. I just wish they were a little more knowledgeable honestly. Like others I've read on here, it seems I have more knowledge on symptoms and tests than my OB does. My peri "so far" seems proactive. I say "seems" b/c I haven't had a visit with him since 19 weeks. At 19 weeks I was having no problems just talking about the possibility.

I have another ultrasound in the a.m. with his office. It's been 5 weeks since my last. I know he was planning on rechecking some things that he did at 19 weeks but what should I request or know ahead of time to make sure it's done? At 19 weeks he did a uterine artery scan which I'll make sure is done tomorrow as well. But the umbilical doppler thing I've seen mentioned on here for the blood flow I'm not sure if it was done last time. Is that something that takes a while or is it a pretty quick look? Also I've seen it mentioned about the placenta "aging", is that something they automatically look for on any pregnancy?

I'm hoping after tomorrow I'll feel more relaxed and secure with my care. I feel the least that should be done is more frequent visits and a 24 hour test. Once you've met PE dx criteria how often should you have NST's and ultrasounds?

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Aug 03, 638613 11:42 pm

I was more aggressive in my care this time. You should have seen the look on my ob's face when I spoke up. The first time was when I was only a few weeks pregnant and progesterone. My progesterone was VERY low at 6.8. I should have miscarried with that level. I had asked the nurse for progesterone supplements. The nurse said she was not going to argue with my ob about getting on them as he didn't believe in it. I was devestated. Called my pcp's office and the nurse there told me to page my ob's a$$ at home. Those were her exact words. So I did. He said well half obs think it is garbage and half think.... I told him I didn't give a **** what he thought. My levels were too low and will miscarry with that level. I want the progesterone and my baby deserved every chance in the world and I could NOT go through another miscarriage again. He said ok. Not only did he get the progesterone, it took him awhile to find a pharmacy to make it for me and he got them to stay open till I could come get it because I needed it THAT night. It ended up that the nurse had NEVER talked with my ob and had just decided this on her own. I found out that he did believe in them as it couldn't hurt. He kept me on it till 19 weeks. LONG after most women came off of them.

The next time was when I had Cate and made demands for certain things I wanted. I just said I am not kidding. Boom, I got it.

You just have to have an even voice and be assertive. For me, I thought my baby's life depends on this. That's all it took.

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Tue Aug 03, 638613 7:23 pm

quote:Originally posted by mom29

Given how busy your dr. is and how rude he was to you yesterday I'd find anoher primary OB if your peri. won't take over your care.

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to bring this up to my peri in the morning. If he won't oversee my care as my primary then I'll ask him for a referral to another OB office. Not only do I feel like my OB isn't doing the right thing for me... I feel like he (they) don't give a crap. Well I lost a baby last year, not to PE, but either way I don't think I can handle going through that again. Especially when I feel like adequate care and monitoring could prevent an ending like that and at least keep him in there as long as possible.

Caryn I so wish I had the nerve, and memory-LOL, to say that! I bet you do make doctors flinch! But when you have to say something like that... they deserve it!

Thanks ladies!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Jul 23, 638613 10:34 am

You mentioned in another post how busy your OB's office is with an enormous amount of pts. being seen. I had a great OB that I saw for 17 years. When he started getting overly busy the staff failed to get lab work results on my chart, phone calls weren't returned, my chart was inaccurate, and my OB started mixing me up with other patients.

Given how busy your dr. is and how rude he was to you yesterday I'd find anoher primary OB if your peri. won't take over your care.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Jul 22, 638613 11:34 pm

Memorize that for your appt with him this week!!

quote:Originally posted by Caryn

Our Experts have strongly supported taking pressures at home and logging them, so long as your cuff is calibrated to the office cuff. While wrist monitors can be unreliable if you don't keep the wrist at the level of the heart while you're taking your pressures, it sounds like you did that, because it was so well-correlated when you got there.

A 24-hour costs about $5 IIRC, so I agree that I'd want one.

The direct and argumentative reply to "So what are you doing here? I mean why are you here? Your blood pressures look great, blood work came back fine so, why are you here???" is, "Symptoms of CNS involvement, particularly a headache that won't budge for Tylenol and brisk reflexes. Coupled to my history of preeclampsia I knew that only the real experts could rule CNS involvement in or out, and I'm not interested in seizing at home."

But I make docs flinch, so that may not be the best strategy.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”